TCS T1 Decoder.

Jisonga

Garden Railways, Motor Sport, Games Consoles.
24 Oct 2009
South East England.
Best answers
Following on from a topic i started in the EBay section of the website about low cost, low rated DCC decoders i went ahead and brought one of the TCS T1 decoders as mentioned by a couple of others after fitting them to G Scale engines.

I brought mine from http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ < Link To www.digitrains.co.uk and after ordering Sunday night it arrived this morning which is pretty good service i think and at a total cost all in of only £19.80.

The specs of this decoder are,

24v track power
1.3 - 2.0 Amp rating
and two function outputs for lights but these are only rated at 100ma.

Now these specs seem pretty close to the old LGB decoders which i have fitted to all kinds of engines without any problems.

Now i have a level line and i only pull a max of four wagons and i do not use lights, sound or smoke so my power requirements are minimal and this has in the past allow me to fit what would appear to be under rated decoders without any problems.

I plan to fit this decoder into a USA Trains GP38 and then post back here with my results in case its of help to others.

Fingers crossed, oh and wish me luck.

Jason.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Jisonga said:
(snip)
Fingers crossed, oh and wish me luck.

Well, good luck then! :clap:

Seriously, it looks fine on paper. Provided you can limit the voltage to track, should be just dandy. Good amperage rating too.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Jisonga said:
I plan to fit this decoder into a USA Trains GP38 and then post back here with my results in case its of help to others.

ooooh.... not sure I'd expect it to last long in a larger two-motored loco such as the GP38, but I'll be interested in how you get on. Not tried one of these TCS decoders yet, but have used things like CT Elektronik DCX 51 (1.5 amp) or Zimo MX69H (1.8 amp) in some of my small single-motor locos. As it's even cheaper than the DCX 51 and seems to be rated for our higher track voltage, it could indeed be a useful alternative.

Keep us posted!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Mine arrived today also (ordered at the weekend). Only 18.50 inc delivery from Bromsgrove Models.
I will also report back my findings.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Well, thought to myself might as well give one a try - or rather 3 as I've got some Playmobil locos that aren't yet chipped.

Went for the T1A version as it's a couple of quid cheaper than the T1 at Digitrains (£14.82 inc vat) and I'll either make up a little bit of strip board to match the JST plug or just cut off the JST and hard-wire.

Should give me a little project over Easter, especially if the weather goes soggy!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ntpntpntp said:
(snip)
Should give me a little project over Easter, especially if the weather goes soggy!
Whaddya mean "if"? Garden here is soggier than Mr Soggy the soggy thing.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, I've just been in the shed to take stock of the TM1 chips. So far I've used them on the DRGW 040 diesel, a spur drive Schoema chassis, a steam tram,and an electric tram.The latter was an old split block, and I managed to get the chip inside the block. I think the GP38 is pushing it - USAT claimed to have Pitmann motors at one time, but they seem to draw a lot of current. On the other hand, 16 quid is worth a gamble. Most times I've simply put the T1 in-line between the pickups and whatever circuitry happens to be there.

The rest of my cheapskate DCC system is either a NCE starter handset or a laptop & a SPROG; routed through a rather noisy Bachmann booster. The SPROG uses the open source JMRI software, and so far I've built a crude interface from Vista voice recognition (wierd) , a logitech joystick (scary) , and currently I'm working on a wireless wand using the guts of a cheap keyboard. If I could be bothered to learn PERL and set up a web server, I've also got some code for a simple webtroller.

Best of luck everyone......

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
Went for the T1A version as it's a couple of quid cheaper than the T1 at Digitrains (£14.82 inc vat) and I'll either make up a little bit of strip board to match the JST plug or just cut off the JST and hard-wire.

Order arrived safely this morning - excellent service as usual with Digitrains.

Of course, now I realise the real reason the T1A is cheaper: it comes with no harness at all - I'd misread and thought it came with wiring to a JST plug. That'll teach me! Not a big problem though, I've got 3 spare bits of wiring harness with 9 pin JST plugs on (they're auxiliary connectors from DG583's I think). I can use these as-is, though I'll probably rewire with NMRA standard wire colors to the appropriate pins, to avoid confusion.

If I find I like these decoders and need some more I will go for the T1 itself next time.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think that these chepie decoders could be just what I am looking for to do my LGB Trams. A few points:-
- Would they be OK on my Massoth system?
- Does the spec mean that there are no wires on them but pins to go into a 00 loco?
- Any chance of lifting up a picture with a ruler next to it so that I can get a feel for the size? Or perhaps a link to wher there are some more details re size.
Many thanks in advance,
JonD

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Jon

Not so sure re the voltage, I used to use TCS decoders a few years back now on 00 items the were small decoders If I remeer correctly fine for fitting into things like Bachmann Jintys

I would not have considered using them for the larger scales though!

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
- Would they be OK on my Massoth system?
The technical specs on TCS website says all TCS decoders are ok up to 24 volts, so should be ok with Massoth?

- Does the spec mean that there are no wires on them but pins to go into a 00 loco?
My T1A definitely came with no harness. Best to check with someone who bought a T1 - it maybe you have to select a harness?

- Any chance of lifting up a picture with a ruler next to it so that I can get a feel for the size? Or perhaps a link to wher there are some more details re size.
Many thanks in advance,
JonD

Sizes are shown here...

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Products/Decoders/HO-Scale/HO Series.htm < Link To TCS decoder range overview

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Mine came with a clip in plug and wires - bare at the other end.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks for the info guys, will most definately be getting some now.
JonD

Jisonga

Garden Railways, Motor Sport, Games Consoles.
24 Oct 2009
South East England.
Best answers
Ok work has started on decoder install.

This engine did already have a decoder fitted to it many years a go but after engine picked a motor block problem it was removed and fitted to another engine. I have now sorted this out ready for new decoder.

Here is the deocder as it comes out of the packet, its small about the size of a 50p.

6f9d6aee020046cfb336acbe963df2d4.jpg

The one i got just had a plain wiring harnes which suited me.

I then wired up the track contacts.

d376141d30ba4fca9d92de8b7822d263.jpg

and then the motor block.

beb9b2a6c4fc4e7c9606321a0039b706.jpg

and this last pic shows an over view of the engine with decoder now wired up and ready for test run. Please not that there are no lights, sound or smoke units wired up as i don't use them on my railway.

20321425e79f4280b7b1a5a5b55851fa.jpg

More details to follow when rain stops and testing can start. I did re program decoder to number 25 to match engine number ok with my Massoth unit.

Jason.

[attachment deleted by admin]

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Well its in!
Runs fine, the stainz is pulling about 0.2 or 0.3 amp at a steady pace and 0.4 or 0.5 amp flat out. That is with lights, smoke and the basic stainz sound.
I fitted the decoder between the block pins plug and the main board so all functions of the old stainz remain as before. Had to rewire the rear accesory plug to the block pins plug to feed in before the decoder as I often use a trailed van for additional pick-up..
Its been running on my MTS3 unit for over an hour - no problems.
For the money it looks very good.
I will get another one for the tram next. I thought I would never chip the tram but at £16, why not?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like all of us who bought T1's this week have been busy then! I agree, the decoder seems to behave well so far. I think my only concern is that it doesn't have (nor does it have the ability to add) a power buffer, so our small locos will need to keep their wheels clean!

I've just completed fitting another T1 to my old Kalamazoo 4-4-0 (following on from fitting in Playmobil block as per my other thread from today). This time I managed to get the decoder inside the block beneath the motor. Hopefully the magnetic field won't upset it.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
Looks like all of us who bought T1's this week have been busy then! I agree, the decoder seems to behave well so far. I think my only concern is that it doesn't have (nor does it have the ability to add) a power buffer, so our small locos will need to keep their wheels clean!

Hence my trailed pick-up van.:D

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
It blew up.
Been running the Stainz with smoke and sound (maybe that was optomistic) for about 20 minutes and it stopped. The MTS cutout. A short pulling 6 or 7 amps. Could be my wiring, I will look later but somehow I expect the chip.Good try anyway.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
It blew up.
Been running the Stainz with smoke and sound (maybe that was optomistic) for about 20 minutes and it stopped. The MTS cutout. A short pulling 6 or 7 amps. Could be my wiring, I will look later but somehow I expect the chip.Good try anyway.

How many amps does the average LGB smoke unit pull?

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
about 0.2 amp - give or take a bit.