Suitable adhesive

MikeH

Registered
10 Nov 2009
Mid-Glamorgan
Best answers
Hi, does anyone know of a suitable aerosol adhesive (maybe carpet adhesive?) that could be used to glue a pre-painted moulding fret onto a pre-painted side of a wooded coach kit. I don't like the thought of using a bottled glue that could ooze out from under the fret (with all the cleaning up) when clamping the fret to the coach side. A spray adhesive for the fret would seem more civilized, give an even coat and be ooze-free. I may try carpet adhesive as it tends to be quite strong. Any advice/comments would be welcome.
Mike

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
What about PVA adhesive?
Any surplus can be wiped away with a damp cloth.
The ordinary type dries clear.

MikeH

Registered
10 Nov 2009
Mid-Glamorgan
Best answers
I don't really want to go around every millimetre of moulding on both sides of a bogie coach wiping excess glue off, especially as clamps will be used, and getting around and under those seems a pain. So much simpler to apply an even spray coat of adhesive.
Mike

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
MikeH said:
I don't really want to go around every millimetre of moulding on both sides of a bogie coach wiping excess glue off, especially as clamps will be used, and getting around and under those seems a pain. So much simpler to apply an even spray coat of adhesive.
Mike

Yes I understand.
I can't think of anything to improve on carpet adhesive but it's devilishly gooey stuff if it gets spread around.
Possibly someone will know of a Craft version.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Yes, they make aerosol craft glue. Yes, it's not very expensive. Yes, I've used it. No, I don't recommend it. EVERYTHING nearby gets sticky, including your fingers.

Perhaps a better selection for the described task would be a liquid contact cement, the kind you apply with a brush. Just follow the directions. aka... LIGHTLY coat both mating surfaces, then let it dry for about 10 minutes before making the joint. No drips or squeeze outs, but the down side is you have pretty much ONE chance at alignment...

Mike are they Brandbright coaches? I have never painted the frets first although I know many do.

My concern would be that you might end up with gaps between the mouldings and the coach. I use PVA but with only primer applied. This acts as an excellent gap filler and you mostly end up with a tiny radius instead of a gap. Removing the excess PVA is quite easy, especially if you do it with a damp cloth before it has dried completely.

I am about to try the painted frets so it will be interesting to see how it goes for you. Some piccies of your coaches would be very interesting.

Here are some of my Brandbright coaches, all painted afterwards. The closeup is a bit nasty, warts and all, but it does show the way the mouldings fit to th ebody having used PVA.

IMG_3401.JPG

IMG_8756.JPG

GANDYDANCER

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Leicestershire
Best answers
Mike I paint my coaches and frets first and apply Aliphatic resin wood glue. just a thin coat is needed and it dries absolutely clear.
Look on the web for deluxematerials.co.uk, it is listed under emulsion glues.
Hope this helps.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Sprayed glue isn't a good idea- it gets all over the fret and will then get lots of dust and dirt stuck to it.

I've used PVA glue to glue my pre-painted frets onto the Brandbright coaches. Wipe the back of the fret with a damp cloth first - this tops the glue setting so quickly. Then carefully apply the pva glue with a screw driver to the back of the fret. Wipe of any excess with a damp cloth. Apply fret to coach, then hold in place with masking tape. This has worked well with the Brandbright coaches and i haven't got any glue oozing around the edges of the fret. You don't need alot of glue on the back of the fret!

MikeH

Registered
10 Nov 2009
Mid-Glamorgan
Best answers
Thanks for replies.
I have 2 Brandbright 4-wheel coaches and one IP laser cut bogie coach that I want to paint in GWR livery before it's assembled, ie., cream upper panels, chocolate lower panels and black moulding. The reason I asked about spray adhesive is that I remember doing card cut & paste when I was in Art College tens of years ago before PC's were dreamt about, and we used Photo-mount spray. I got quite proficient with it - temporarily clamp/tape/fix guides to the job so that after spraying the back of the fret you just drop it between the guides and it falls right into place. Apply some form of weight and there you go. I was hoping to apply the same procedure to coach sides. I was hoping for a spray adhesive that works with wood. The secret is, I suppose, a thin even coat only applied to one face - which if it's a moulding fret, you've got no other option - you couldn't apply adhesive to the coach side where you think the moulding is going to be.
Anyway, lot of advice to think about,
Mike

MikeH

Registered
10 Nov 2009
Mid-Glamorgan
Best answers
Altterrain, that's the kind of finished result I'm after. Quite impressed with your outcome. Great stuff.
Mike

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
MikeH said:
Hi, does anyone know of a suitable aerosol adhesive (maybe carpet adhesive?) that could be used to glue a pre-painted moulding fret onto a pre-painted side of a wooded coach kit. Any advice/comments would be welcome.
Mike
Maybe this stuff would work. I've never used it but am considering buying some to test.
http://www.rplastics.com/vhbtape.html
It's a double side tape where both 'sides' peel off to just leave the thin adhesive.
ie cut to size of fret, peel one side off and stick to fret, peel other side off and stick to coach.