Storing Rolling Stock Outdoors

• Thread starter AddictiveBiscuit
  • Start date
idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Nice, and you only used 3 power tools... :)

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Nice storage unit, Greg - I assume it is kept under cover and secure, and rolled out on the trolley when needed?

Jon.

S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
OK, compared with most of you people my stock is quite basic. However, I bought an inexpensive (some might say cheap and cheerful) brown plastic storage box. It has plastic sides, bottom and top which seem to provide a water-proof area for my limited stock. In addition I have hung wooden shelves to increase my storage space.

Last time I looked there was no sign of any water ingress but I will check again later today.

My controllers and locomotives are stored at the bottom of my wardrobe for safety. Unless I leave a locomotive in the kitchen for ease of access if the weather is good enough to enjoy a train.

I did consider insulating the box but I wonder if it is really worth it?

SW

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
I just checked the box. Apart from a few cob webs the box is quite dry.

The wooden shelving had collapsed; no damage done; so I've supported them with plastic fruit/vegetable boxes.

Although we have enjoyed sunshine today it is quite cool. As soon as there is some warmth in the sun I'll improve the shelving and might even have enough room for another shelf.

SW

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I just checked the box. Apart from a few cob webs the box is quite dry.

The wooden shelving had collapsed; no damage done; so I've supported them with plastic fruit/vegetable boxes.

Although we have enjoyed sunshine today it is quite cool. As soon as there is some warmth in the sun I'll improve the shelving and might even have enough room for another shelf.

SW
If you can get any Plastic Decking will survive any weather conditions but may need support due to sagging. I find that a bit of shelving cut depth of shelves in middle should work fine. Wicks certainly have Plastik Decking if you have one near you, though Wooden Deck (most DIY Sheds) inside your Box should work just as well.

Rough Drawing to show concept.
113615_8aab834714708b61be41c073af5841de.png

Fred2179G

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
I stored my rolling stock outdoors in a similar box in Maryland for many years. (-5C to 35C). Didn't see any problems, except for the bugs - spiders in particular liked to build little nests in the cars. I would not store cardboard boxes or similar outside in a damp environment.