Storing Rolling Stock Outdoors

• Thread starter AddictiveBiscuit
  • Start date
AddictiveBiscuit

AddictiveBiscuit

Steam Locos, Armoured Vehicles and Aviation
13 Apr 2015
North Lincolnshire
So I've always kept my rolling stock and locos indoors but I think its time I moved the rolling stock in to some kind of outdoor storage, the number of red boxes in my room is out of control.. And I'm tired of having to carry loads of boxes outside to the bottom of the garden to play trains! So I'm thinking of buying one of these plastic storage thingys and filling it with shelves to keep my rolling stock in. I'm sure somebody else has done this before! Would I need to insulate it? Or will they be alright as they are.. As some of my coaches have lights.

Why not just buy a shed I hear some of you ask? Well simply I don't have space or money and in the next year or so I'll be moving out (I Hope) and I'll want something that can be moved easily.
113469_2507cdcf16dc4c5d99fb590d8b702134.png

I Imagine you'll all know what I'm on about but I've included a picture anyway! :D

jimmytrains_0

jimmytrains_0

Registered
16 Dec 2009
Ealing
I had the exact box for many years. it stood in hell and high water literally. Then it got Sun bleached and fell apart. I had electrics to it with armoured cable and a working control on a wooden cube i built inside. No need for shelves but i did use really useful boxes 50 ltr ones to store my stock. It did culture a brand of snail and some of my boxes where licked by them.
We looked for many months for a replacement and found nothing as good. A really practical friend offered his services and on the same footprint said he would build me a wooden box, 8ft ((high) later I have a swiss chalet. I've filled this also, to clear my room I wish!

AddictiveBiscuit

AddictiveBiscuit

13 Apr 2015
North Lincolnshire
I had the exact box for many years. it stood in hell and high water literally. Then it got Sun bleached and fell apart. I had electrics to it with armoured cable and a working control on a wooden cube i built inside. No need for shelves but i did use really useful boxes 50 ltr ones to store my stock. It did culture a brand of snail and some of my boxes where licked by them.
We looked for many months for a replacement and found nothing as good. A really practical friend offered his services and on the same footprint said he would build me a wooden box, 8ft ((high) later I have a swiss chalet. I've filled this also, to clear my room I wish!
I've been having a look at other ones and a chest might be better I'm thinking! It's cheaper as well. I think a ride to B&Q is in order.. Comfy Wood effect Plastic Garden storage box | DIY at B&Q

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Is this for storage in the UK summer months? Or all year round? If the latter I would be very worried about damp and condensation, even with insulation. Maybe if you had a greenhouse style tube heater inside to keep it above freezing. I think in the warmer months you should be okay (May-September). I keep all my stuff in a shed all year round, but the shed has floor, wall and ceiling insulation, double glazing, and a frost protection electric heater.

AddictiveBiscuit

AddictiveBiscuit

13 Apr 2015
North Lincolnshire
Is this for storage in the UK summer months? Or all year round? If the latter I would be very worried about damp and condensation, even with insulation. Maybe if you had a greenhouse style tube heater inside to keep it above freezing. I think in the warmer months you should be okay (May-September). I keep all my stuff in a shed all year round, but the shed has floor, wall and ceiling insulation, double glazing, and a frost protection electric heater.
If possible I would like to store them year round, but now you mention it I think it'd be a better idea to have them there during the warmer months.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I would NOT store the boxes there..
The snails will have their-share of the resale value.. :eek::nod::nod::(

Reactions: AddictiveBiscuit
AddictiveBiscuit

AddictiveBiscuit

13 Apr 2015
North Lincolnshire
I would NOT store the boxes there..
The snails will have their-share of the resale value.. :eek::nod::nod::(
Oh no I'd be keeping the boxes indoors.. It really does take up a lot of space this hobby..

daveyb

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
i do occasional work for a lady who owns a holiday house and she stores her linen and towels and cleaning products in one with no probs at all

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
So I've always kept my rolling stock and locos indoors but I think its time I moved the rolling stock in to some kind of outdoor storage, the number of red boxes in my room is out of control.. And I'm tired of having to carry loads of boxes outside to the bottom of the garden to play trains! So I'm thinking of buying one of these plastic storage thingys and filling it with shelves to keep my rolling stock in. I'm sure somebody else has done this before! Would I need to insulate it? Or will they be alright as they are.. As some of my coaches have lights.

Why not just buy a shed I hear some of you ask? Well simply I don't have space or money and in the next year or so I'll be moving out (I Hope) and I'll want something that can be moved easily.
View attachment 247178
I Imagine you'll all know what I'm on about but I've included a picture anyway! :D
Rolling Stock even with Lights (unless you have a DCC Chip in Coaches for lights) will be fine in one of these. Yes perhaps some critters will get into them but not too much to worry about with Most of our Plastic Stock. Locomotives and any Coaches with DCC Chips to turn on lights indoors please.

AddictiveBiscuit

AddictiveBiscuit

13 Apr 2015
North Lincolnshire
Rolling Stock even with Lights (unless you have a DCC Chip in Coaches for lights) will be fine in one of these. Yes perhaps some critters will get into them but not too much to worry about with Most of our Plastic Stock. Locomotives and any Coaches with DCC Chips to turn on lights indoors please.
The locos always stay indoors! Well I'm having a trip to B&Q tomorrow to look at buying a chest, its smaller then then what I've posted a picture of but I think it'll be enough space for all my stock :D

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
The locos always stay indoors! Well I'm having a trip to B&Q tomorrow to look at buying a chest, its smaller then then what I've posted a picture of but I think it'll be enough space for all my stock :D
GO AS BIG AS YOU CAN AFFORD!!!!! :):nod::nod::nod:

Your stock WILL increase! :nod::nod::):nod::nod:

Reactions: Sean.
AddictiveBiscuit

AddictiveBiscuit

13 Apr 2015
North Lincolnshire

The missus saw this and her reply was the usual.. Your not having anymore etc etc.. :rofl:

spoz

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
Staff member
GSC Moderator
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
The solution to a partner who wonders about the amount being spent on trains is to get he or she a hobby of his or her own. Mine got into cross stitch 30 years ago (and has infected out daughter). She has enough graphs to keep herself going until the age of about 180, and the totalled cost over all those years is far more than my investment in trains - trust me, I keep all the records...

Reactions: goneloco
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK

Or alternatively make provision for a second one to be put in if required. You can always cut a joint between the two to join them up. Edges can be sealed with Mastic or some such glog.

Reactions: AddictiveBiscuit
jimmytrains_0

jimmytrains_0

Registered
16 Dec 2009
Ealing
Trust me the second becomes a proper shed and then you take over someone else shed.

AddictiveBiscuit

AddictiveBiscuit

13 Apr 2015
North Lincolnshire
So I went shopping and got myself something.. plenty of room for the amount of stock I have.
113530_d4b0ec8818236935b16f2480c59a2d7b.jpeg
113531_1ce8c651e5b5d9a3882512fa6fd0cf51.jpeg

AddictiveBiscuit

AddictiveBiscuit

13 Apr 2015
North Lincolnshire
Can you get some of this :
worked for me.
Well I’ve just ended up making basically a stool so that I can get 2 layers of stock in. It’s very crude I know but I think it’ll do the job.

Attachments