dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Oh lots of loverly bendy busses, Boris stole them from London. They were really great for oldies as you did not have to go upstairs, now all the young fit passengers are too tired to walk upstairs in the double deck replacements leaving oldies to stand or try to struggle up the stairs.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Bidet for trams :D

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Oh lots of loverly bendy busses, ...
We have them here. Bit of a winter hazard. Motor powers the rear axle: Front end tries to make a turn on a slippery road; back end wants to keep going straight. Can you say jackknife, children? Happens at least once every winter.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Too big for many London streets :nod::nod:
Not really they made provision for them at corners etc, but were got rid of because they were perceived to delay cars. Cars win hands down in most perceptions.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Not really they made provision for them at corners etc, but were got rid of because they were perceived to delay cars. Cars win hands down in most perceptions.
London traffic has been a problem since the days of the horse and cart, largely because of the size, and that fact that London has been Europe's largest capital city for nearly as long.

Current approx populations:

Amsterdam 1 m
Paris 2 m
Berlin 3.5 m
London 9.5 m

Any decision is going to be a compromise

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
No, I think there's enough car delaying tactics London as it is! Their main problem wer the extremely sharp bends and high maintenance costs.

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
Houston has a tram reactive fountain too.

It would be a fun feature to model! Maybe something to keep in mind for the future.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
Why ?.....:rolleyes:
Why a fountain specifically? Or a general why?

For the latter I assume the main purpose is to put a hard restriction on the right of way as being exclusively for trams. In a car dominated part of the world people will probably try and drive on anything and everything that even vaguely resembles a road no matter how many signs and road markings you put in the way. A fountain is a barrier to road vehicles that definitely can't be argued with, though I've still seen some pictures of cars that have crashed into it that have tried!

Couldn't answer as to why a fountain as opposed to just a simple pit, greenery, ballasted track or any other vehicle excluding device. Probably just an aesthetic choice, one I personally rather like.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Why a fountain specifically? Or a general why?

For the latter I assume the main purpose is to put a hard restriction on the right of way as being exclusively for trams. In a car dominated part of the world people will probably try and drive on anything and everything that even vaguely resembles a road no matter how many signs and road markings you put in the way. A fountain is a barrier to road vehicles that definitely can't be argued with, though I've still seen some pictures of cars that have crashed into it that have tried!

Couldn't answer as to why a fountain as opposed to just a simple pit, greenery, ballasted track or any other vehicle excluding device. Probably just an aesthetic choice, one I personally rather like.
I reckon it doubles up as a Tram Car washer.

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
. In a car dominated part of the world people will probably try and drive on anything and everything that even vaguely resembles a road no matter how many signs and road markings you put in the way.
This reminded me of one early morning about, well a good few years ago, we had just relaid some new track for the Hong Kong tramway and re-concreted the road before the Sunday service started, while having breakfast before going back out to clean the men at work signs we heard screams and bad language being shouted and screamed in an english accent.
Some TITT driver had assumed we had put the road signs out but not started work. The guy was even less impressed when a local bobby told us to use our crane lorry to removed the idiots car from the wet concrete.
Thankfully the track was okay but the wet concrete needed to be reworked.

So I can concur with the above statement that car drivers will try and drive on anything.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
This reminded me of one early morning about, well a good few years ago, we had just relaid some new track for the Hong Kong tramway and re-concreted the road before the Sunday service started, while having breakfast before going back out to clean the men at work signs we heard screams and bad language being shouted and screamed in an english accent.
Some TITT driver had assumed we had put the road signs out but not started work. The guy was even less impressed when a local bobby told us to use our crane lorry to removed the idiots car from the wet concrete.
Thankfully the track was okay but the wet concrete needed to be reworked.

So I can concur with the above statement that car drivers will try and drive on anything.
Dunnyrail, bad edit day:

Hope you trashed the dorks car.