So You Think Playmobil Is Toylike And Not Worthy Of A Place On Your Line?

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Inspirational thread and some ingenious uses!
Ive just put my first Playmobil piece down: a 4210 M.A.N crane
20210129_155244.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
To my way of thinking, that gantry needs to be fitted with 'OO' bogies and run on 'OO' track.

David

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
It has some parts missing unfortunately, unless you have just not fittedd them. The "feet" have wheels which allow it to roll on LGB track.
There are definitely a couple of bumpers missing which was a reason I picked it up quite cheaply, but I did take quite a few parts off in the stripdown and haven't refitted them - they're hiding somewhere in the study. I wasn't originally going to refit them but I didn't realise the wheels would run on the track :)

I think I'd be temped to put some OO wheels/track down if I do look to make it mobile soon (which sounds like a good idea!)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
There are definitely a couple of bumpers missing which was a reason I picked it up quite cheaply, but I did take quite a few parts off in the stripdown and haven't refitted them - they're hiding somewhere in the study. I wasn't originally going to refit them but I didn't realise the wheels would run on the track :)

I think I'd be temped to put some OO wheels/track down if I do look to make it mobile soon (which sounds like a good idea!)
I have one of the cranes that is on Rubber Wheels. My thoughts for a mobile one if on rails would be for for double flanged wheels (Mecanno ones would suit) then a single rail (certainly larger than Code 100) for each of the legs. This I feel would look much more lifelike that using 00 Track which appears to have been suggested. Track should also be recessed so that Trucks and Workers would not find them hazardous. If that recessed option were followed a narrow recess using the existing wheels (well on my set) would be fine and not seen, but the crane would traverse along nicely if required. After all we are attempting to make PM less toylike.

Last edited:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
I have one of the cranes that is on Rubber Wheels. My thoughts for a mobile one if on rails would be for for double flanged wheels (Mecanno ones would suit) then a single rail (certainly larger than Code 100) for each of the legs. This I feel would look much more lifelike that using 00 Track which appears to have been suggested. Track should also be recessed so that Trcucks and Workers would not find them hazardous. If that recessed option were followed a narrow recess using the existing wheels (well on my set) would be fine and not seen, but the crane would traverse along nicely if required. After all we are attempting to make PM less toylike.
On the one I had I found that if you took the rubber tyres off the wheels were of a design that would run on the rails.

Here's what they looked like:

but sadly they are no longer available.

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Just caught this thread.
Playmobil? A toy?
Dunno but I had some great fun with this machine 14 (!) years ago. The power unit burst so I put, I think it was an Aristocraft diesel Bo unit under it. I flogged it with everything else in 2010.:

DSCF1548.JPG

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Just caught this thread.
Playmobil? A toy?
Dunno but I had some great fun with this machine 14 (!) years ago. The power unit burst so I put, I think it was an Aristocraft diesel Bo unit under it. I flogged it with everything else in 2010.:

View attachment 279921
Yes I have a couple of those that are in full working order in the loft, was going to do some kind of repaint but they await me getting round to offering them for sale.

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009