So You Think Playmobil Is Toylike And Not Worthy Of A Place On Your Line?

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Country flag
Inspirational thread and some ingenious uses!
Ive just put my first Playmobil piece down: a 4210 M.A.N crane
20210129_155244.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country flag
To my way of thinking, that gantry needs to be fitted with 'OO' bogies and run on 'OO' track.

David

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Country flag
It has some parts missing unfortunately, unless you have just not fittedd them. The "feet" have wheels which allow it to roll on LGB track.
There are definitely a couple of bumpers missing which was a reason I picked it up quite cheaply, but I did take quite a few parts off in the stripdown and haven't refitted them - they're hiding somewhere in the study. I wasn't originally going to refit them but I didn't realise the wheels would run on the track :)

I think I'd be temped to put some OO wheels/track down if I do look to make it mobile soon (which sounds like a good idea!)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
There are definitely a couple of bumpers missing which was a reason I picked it up quite cheaply, but I did take quite a few parts off in the stripdown and haven't refitted them - they're hiding somewhere in the study. I wasn't originally going to refit them but I didn't realise the wheels would run on the track :)

I think I'd be temped to put some OO wheels/track down if I do look to make it mobile soon (which sounds like a good idea!)
I have one of the cranes that is on Rubber Wheels. My thoughts for a mobile one if on rails would be for for double flanged wheels (Mecanno ones would suit) then a single rail (certainly larger than Code 100) for each of the legs. This I feel would look much more lifelike that using 00 Track which appears to have been suggested. Track should also be recessed so that Trucks and Workers would not find them hazardous. If that recessed option were followed a narrow recess using the existing wheels (well on my set) would be fine and not seen, but the crane would traverse along nicely if required. After all we are attempting to make PM less toylike.

Last edited:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Country flag
I have one of the cranes that is on Rubber Wheels. My thoughts for a mobile one if on rails would be for for double flanged wheels (Mecanno ones would suit) then a single rail (certainly larger than Code 100) for each of the legs. This I feel would look much more lifelike that using 00 Track which appears to have been suggested. Track should also be recessed so that Trcucks and Workers would not find them hazardous. If that recessed option were followed a narrow recess using the existing wheels (well on my set) would be fine and not seen, but the crane would traverse along nicely if required. After all we are attempting to make PM less toylike.
On the one I had I found that if you took the rubber tyres off the wheels were of a design that would run on the rails.

Here's what they looked like:

but sadly they are no longer available.

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Country flag
Just caught this thread.
Playmobil? A toy?
Dunno but I had some great fun with this machine 14 (!) years ago. The power unit burst so I put, I think it was an Aristocraft diesel Bo unit under it. I flogged it with everything else in 2010.:

DSCF1548.JPG

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Just caught this thread.
Playmobil? A toy?
Dunno but I had some great fun with this machine 14 (!) years ago. The power unit burst so I put, I think it was an Aristocraft diesel Bo unit under it. I flogged it with everything else in 2010.:

View attachment 279921
Yes I have a couple of those that are in full working order in the loft, was going to do some kind of repaint but they await me getting round to offering them for sale.

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Country flag
Today I replaced the 27MHz RC system of a Bachmann Big Hauler with the ESC of a playmobil 3670 RC car system which works with the 3670 controller and it seems to work better for me than the original Bachmann RC system. It seems to run faster and smoother for me now. Maybe it's faster because less voltage is lost to the old style light and to the perhaps less efficient Bachmann circuitry. But since the Bachmann light goes through the now bypassed Bachmann circuitry(which is still present inside the loco), I had to replace the light(which is also still present and wired as original) with an LED which functions independently and uses a toggle switch you can see under the boiler, with dedicated AAA's in the boiler:

b1.JPG
The train runs off of a single rechargeable 9v battery inside the firebox next to the playmobil receiver and an additional power button(because I haven't made use of the original power buttons yet). There is plenty of room in there now without the old style large batteries, though I still need to remove the battery cover to access the power button... for now).
b2.JPG
The original Bachmann tender chuffing sound system still works independently with it's own battery in the tender. This is an old rudimentary system which if the train stops on a chuff, the chuff will keep playing.

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Country flag
It is great and impressive the way you improve your trains

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
One of the RC’s still available for sale, it is the one without pans and no offering with ONO option.
https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/playmobil-railcar-battery-operated-4018-pantographs-present-uk-only-please-£75.316570/

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Country flag
I believe there is nothing wrong with playmobil being used either as playmobil or as G scale. When I started in G scale there was very little building products in G scale offered and what was was either junk or expensive. So working at a toy store fixing trains I was exposed to playmobil buildings, I found them to be very adaptable to kit bash buildings of pretty much any size ans shape with my best being a 3 story Grand hotel which is no longer in place but still have the pieces and it is on the to redo project list. pretty much the only draw back is it isn't UV proof but holds up well if painted. To the left side of the water fall it can be seen in it's Florida colors along with playmobil figures adorning the structure. Where ever used original form or kit bashed they stand out well. Included are some pictures of a Florida cracker house, and saw mill which have be recently finished for use.

Attachments

• playmobil in the garden 1.jpg
    playmobil in the garden 1.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 0
  • playmobil in the garden 2.jpg
    playmobil in the garden 2.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 0
  • GC front view.JPG
    GC front view.JPG
    321 KB · Views: 0
  • GC stairs and railing.JPG
    GC stairs and railing.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 0
  • GC porch end.JPG
    GC porch end.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 0
  • MIK20 completed front side.JPG
    MIK20 completed front side.JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 0
  • sawmill os 4.JPG
    sawmill os 4.JPG
    569.5 KB · Views: 0
  • sawmill os rear.JPG
    sawmill os rear.JPG
    615.7 KB · Views: 0

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Country flag
I have a mid-1980s copy of "The Big Train" book in which LGB list Playmobil as a recommended source of buildings.

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Country flag
Here's a comparison of the sound of motors from Playmobil, with Bachmann Big Haulers, and Scientific Toys:
The Playmobil trains motors generally sound less toylike than the Bachmann Big Haulers motor. But neither sound as toylike as Scientific Toys (or Eztec).

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Country flag
I was disappointed too so I removed the motor from my first Scientific Toys and I replaced it by Playmobil block motor.
On top of that, I was not happy with the number of batteries needed in the tender
( at this time I did not know your "tips and tricks" to replace all these batteries by one 9V )