So You Think Playmobil Is Toylike And Not Worthy Of A Place On Your Line?

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
For a short time I did this. It was more trouble than it was worth however. I hadn't thought of making smaller containers. Then the crane could have been set at trackside.

Very interesting, it is still a source of wonderment to me that HO modellers can have perfectly working Container Rail and Road Systems but we fail to get that. To be fair the Garden Conditions are much trickier and there are more into the smaller scales.

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Lionel came out with a container crane quite a few years ago. Some say it's tricky to operate. I can't say as I never bought one.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Lionel came out with a container crane quite a few years ago. Some say it's tricky to operate. I can't say as I never bought one.

Fascinating, I expect it was smaller than G but seams to work quite well. Can understand how Operation may be a bit tricky, after all on a real Crane the driver would be above the Container or in this case Truck Trailer.

Hope there was not anything in the second Trailer that was Fragile cos the drop to the floor would have trashed it completely!

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Fascinating, I expect it was smaller than G but seams to work quite well. Can understand how Operation may be a bit tricky, after all on a real Crane the driver would be above the Container or in this case Truck Trailer.

Hope there was not anything in the second Trailer that was Fragile cos the drop to the floor would have trashed it completely!

Forgot to mention it was "O" scale.

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
All though I don't have any Playmobil trains I do use there buildings and find them very versatile and make great scenes. If you get a chance check out Eric Muller of triple o on Large scale c or GRW forum, he has 4 small children who actually help on the layout and uses a lot of playmobil stuff including the people, and on the left side of the waterfall is a 3 store hotel I made with playmobil including the people, Great product, Bill
playmobil in the garden 1.jpg
playmobil in the garden 2.jpg
sawmill os 4.JPG
old layout waterfall.jpg
sawmill os 4.JPG
old layout waterfall.jpg
old layout waterfall.jpg
sawmill os 4.JPG

Eaglecliff

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Love the sawmill. All three of them!

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
don't know how that happened look ok when I posted it the BAMB
Still very intersring selection of Buildings Bill. Just the thing for this thread. Perhaps a Moderator could sort out some of the duplicated postings please?

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Cracking waterfall as well Bill! :):nod::clap::clap:

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
I just got some spare part from PM UK and they are listing a few old timers as new.
6215 Large Water Tower £21
6214 Windmill £18
also still listed are :-
(note while stocks last)
6341 Railroad Crossing £27.50
6342 Passenger Train Car £30
track at various prices
4391 Bumper Stop £7.75
wheels, couplings, wheel assemblies with coupling and what looks like traction tires.

Obviously not sure how long stock will last on those parts, probably best to order while you can. Post costs to uk 3.50 up to £30 order, free above that value of order.

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Look like very fair prices, if it wasn't for playmobil I wouldn't have had any buildings when I started. Just brought in my 3 story hotel that sits outside year round for upgrades, this time around I'm going to get it lit with solar LED's

Attachments

David Watton

David Watton

Registered
5 Mar 2016
Worcester
Today finally completed fitting a decoder and extra lighting into my Playmobil works train.
The Tcs G8 decoder is fitted into the loco roof space. To achirve this, I 3d printed a vented ceiling into the cab body to fit the decoder too. The wiring for the power is fed up through two tubes fitted either side of cab at the rear. It was a tight squeeze, just enough space to fit everything in.
All the lamps are led powered. To finish off, fitted pespex window's to the cab.

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Today finally completed fitting a decoder and extra lighting into my Playmobil works train.
The Tcs G8 decoder is fitted into the loco roof space. To achirve this, I 3d printed a vented ceiling into the cab body to fit the decoder too. The wiring for the power is fed up through two tubes fitted either side of cab at the rear. It was a tight squeeze, just enough space to fit everything in.
All the lamps are led powered. To finish off, fitted pespex window's to the cab.
Can you share pictures of what you did?

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Just a super job

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Over the varying vehicle conversions and mods that I have done a selection of Buffers has become spare, this is because I model Narrow Gauge as it mostly is in East Germany and thus only 1 buffer is required each end rather than the 2 that most PM vehicles come with. This has resulted in a few varying left over buffers in my spares box for use later. What I had not understood till I was sorting them out today is that there are more variations than just colour as I believed there to be prior to this sort out. On my recent Van build that used some PM bits I was surprised to find Flat Housings that were white and took the flat buffers with no mods. Thus these were used in that van.

Quite what these flat buffers and housings came from is anyones guess, but I have a lot more buffers than housings as can be seen below:-
DD5B08C7-5027-480C-B7C6-254271941455.jpeg

To make matters worse in the past I have had to modify round buffers to oblong ones and should perhaps have looked at what was in stock. The top right buffer has been modified to a near oblong one by just filing it flat top and bottom. Even more confusing is that there are less round buffers than housings? So for the future I will be modifying the round housings to take an oblong buffer which is a simple filing job so that the oblong buffer just pushes in as can be seen on the black one next to the white one.

Note that there appear to be two kinds of securing tab for the round ones as can be seen with the single red buffer. also note the trashed ones, those round buffers are the devils own job to get out of the housings.