So You Think Playmobil Is Toylike And Not Worthy Of A Place On Your Line?

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
Country flag
Sorry, I didn't understand how to add some pics :think:
I'm trying new time with my LGB ToyTrain with Playmobil motor RC
( and the second loco is RC converted too )

View media item 2304
View media item 2305
View media item 2306
It seems I have to buy a lot of Hard Hats ;)
Thank you all

Xav204

Hi Xav204 - You got your posting of pictures just right in your post #217 - however there seems to be a problem with the pictures in your latest post #223.

They show up for me with the message .....

"GSC - Error - You do not have permission to view media within this album."

I think you may need to change your privacy settings.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to seeing the latest pics of your railway.

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Sorry, I didn't understand how to add some pics :think:
I'm trying new time with my LGB ToyTrain with Playmobil motor RC
( and the second loco is RC converted too )

View media item 2304
View media item 2305
View media item 2306
It seems I have to buy a lot of Hard Hats ;)
Thank you all

Xav204

These are really great images. The arrangement is beautifully put together and the stock is very interesting!

I love PM too!

Two questions if I may: What are the bases under those signals? Not seen anything quite like those before.

Also, please could you share some of your wagon conversion ideas. They look great and mostly seem to be based on PM chassis. How did you do them?

Great stuff! More please!

James

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Country flag
Thank you James,

I'm not familiar with this way to add pics but I will try another way later.

In a batch of workpieces, we often get more signals than the bottom of the pole.
then I took these rocks, coming from famous fast food
( there was a manga hero on the top )
I'm happy with them in the "land" and I keep the real Playmobil for Railroad Station
Signals.jpg

Playmobil has created works trailer which have the same width than a wagon frame
Roulotte chantier.jpg
Then I kept the blue version to create short wagon with locomotive frame
Haut sur pattes.jpg
o sur pattes 1.jpg

We call it "long legged" wagon ( "Haut sur pattes" )
In fact I'm not satisfied about this roof, I'm working to build another one more "western"

With the yellow trailer, I use a normal frame wagon to get work wagon
Draisine 11.jpg
FLR Grue 15.jpg
Although I'm thinking about new wagon,
I always keep the original frame with the 2 red buffers
( even I converted the Matra Crane from LGB to Playmobil )
This is another story

James, I 'm still very impressive about your stuffs.

Xavier

Reactions: 3 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
To my eyes the Black ones are standard open chassis with Olivio or Margarine Tubs as a body.
the stock is very interesting!
Also, please could you share some of your wagon conversion ideas. They look great and mostly seem to be based on PM chassis. How did you do them?James
Not wishing to steal Xav's thunder, but I think that the Black Open Wagons in Post #223 are Margarine Tubs on what looks to be Hopper Chassis. A novel solution that I have seen used in 16mm Gauge. Just takes some vision to see what out of the way items can be used for. Something that Xav is showing us with great applomb.
JonD

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Country flag
Oupsss ,
I totally forgot to talk about black open wagons
Sorry JonD.

You have good eyes
In fact it was Ice Cream Tubs those size was exactly the right for the frame wagon.
It was a project in my mind which did exist only the time to take some pics
I gave up because it was food plastic, not supposed to have a long life,
and not easy to be worked.
For instance I wanted to add ladder ( like the hopper of Playmobil ) and I failed.
Thank you for your attention

Xavier

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Xavier,

Thank you for your reply and for your kind words. I took Guano Corner up late last year, with a view to re-building it this spring. Sadly I fell off a stepladder instead, and endured an enforced period of idleness, so nothing has been done!

I really like your use of the works trailer and also the roof from it on the caboose body. It looks so at home on the railway wagon chassis. Adds variety. The ice cream tubs are good too.

You clearly have a good understanding of many Playmobil products, to be able to combine and adapt things as you do. The crane etc are particularly impressive.

I was also really taken with the grey wagons in your first set of images. How did you do those?

I have done very little with wagons and coaches, other than adding lights, pick ups and tail lamps. I have asembled decent length trains - 5 Cars plus a brake van is my ideal length. Just looking for that final mustard yellow 3958 set UPRR car!

I have used a grey building site hut container with a balcony on a wagon base as a brake van for my container train and put the light brown roof from a PRR coach onto a caboose to make a combination coach and that has been about it! Most of my work has been on locos - see the thread Playmobil Ideas. Adding rear lights and coupling rods etc.

A lot of the work I did was when my daughter was younger and liked to play with the trains. Her thing was putting people in and then taking them out, so any changes I made had to be robust and child proof! Now of course she is older she is not interested!

Are you exclusively Battery and RC or do you do track power too?

I have both here, but prefer track power. Last summer Playmofire, his lovely wife and I exhibited a small layout that featured RC and working block signals. The RC locos all had magnets under them to switch the signals as they passed. The idea was to drive the trains according to the signals.

In retrospect the layout was too small for this sort of tail chasing, we simply didn't have enough room allocated to us and set up was too rushed for me to iron out all the glitches. The fault lay with me there, but the idea was good and it worth having another go some time on a larger layout less cramped layout, but only when I am up to it!

I have really enjoyed seeing your images. Yours is my kind of garden railway!

James

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Like your pictures, Xavier!

Xavier,

One more question, if I may.... How did you do the short PM chassis for the blue works trailer. Are the axles boxes set, or do they still rotate?

Always interested in seeing how others have tackled things. They that plagerism is the most sincere form of flattery!

James

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Country flag
Thank you All,

Thank you James for your comments.
I have seen your beautiful works on locos.
I’m still dreaming to add lights inside my locos and some end light wagon
I will ask more explanation in another email.
I only know to cut and paste, not to electrify.

I’m exclusively Battery and RC.
It was easier for me and my 3 sons ( to avoid short circuit, to manage many locos in the same layout,
to use any tracks, to avoid cleaning time… ) and less expensive too.
Then I did convert all Playmobil locos ( and 1 LGB Toytrain ) to RC,
except 4052 I still don’t have…

Of course I would prefer track power to get more power to drive a lot of wagons, to have lights in wagon
and to drive the train according to the signals.
Maybe when I understand electricy, DCC, these kinds of things.

In fact, I just realized that my last pics are not in the right place
My aim is not to include Playmobil in garden railway
like beautiful works shown by people like Gareth.

I'm only playing with Playmobil
and I add some "foreign" items which seems to be "Playmobil design" in my opinion
Do you mind if I add some message in Playmobil Ideas ?

Thank you all to share your knowledge

Xavier

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Thank you All,

Thank you James for your comments.
I have seen your beautiful works on locos.
I’m still dreaming to add lights inside my locos and some end light wagon
I will ask more explanation in another email.
I only know to cut and paste, not to electrify.

I’m exclusively Battery and RC.
It was easier for me and my 3 sons ( to avoid short circuit, to manage many locos in the same layout,
to use any tracks, to avoid cleaning time… ) and less expensive too.
Then I did convert all Playmobil locos ( and 1 LGB Toytrain ) to RC,
except 4052 I still don’t have…

Of course I would prefer track power to get more power to drive a lot of wagons, to have lights in wagon
and to drive the train according to the signals.
Maybe when I understand electricy, DCC, these kinds of things.

In fact, I just realized that my last pics are not in the right place
My aim is not to include Playmobil in garden railway
like beautiful works shown by people like Gareth.

I'm only playing with Playmobil
and I add some "foreign" items which seems to be "Playmobil design" in my opinion
Do you mind if I add some message in Playmobil Ideas ?

Thank you all to share your knowledge

Xavier

Xavier,

Thank you. Please feel free to add to any forum you wish.

Looking forward to seeing what you post!

I am a pure analogue Luddite - I do automation, block signalling and automatic route setting using reeds, magnets and isolated sections..... I have always done this, it is all I know!

However if you wish to run lots of trains on the same track, just like RC then DCC would be the way to go. There are DCC sections on this forum full of helpful people who can advise you from a basic level.

Good luck and please keep posting!

James

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Country flag
Thank you James,

About the short PM chassis for the blue works trailer, the axles boxes set, they don't rotate.
The idea was to use axles those coupling was broken instead of throw them away.
And to use chassis of loco from whom I had to remove the hub cap for another project I will explain...

The axles don't need to rotate because I put the wheels the same place of the motor 's wheels
And the broken coupling of the axles are replaced by the coupling of the chassis
( just find a way to add the hook/hanger that locos don't have )

I should be able to take more pics of this wagon this WE.

See you soon

Xavier

Reactions: 1 user

David Watton

Registered
5 Mar 2016
Worcester
Thought these pictures show how a playmobil RCE can look like with a bit (lot) of TLC.
Gave the bodies a good polish with 'Brasso' they came up great. I had to be careful with the blue and yellow stripes (not much paint there).
They are worthy of a place on the line. 20170805_153401.jpg

20170805_153345.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Country flag
Thought these pictures show how a playmobil RCE can look like with a bit (lot) of TLC.
Gave the bodies a good polish with 'Brasso' they came up great. I had to be careful with the blue and yellow stripes (not much paint there).
They are worthy of a place on the line. View attachment 226045

View attachment 226044
Rather than Brasso which is slightly abrasive, just use ordinary car polish.

The markings on Playmobil are not painted on but printed on and can be removed with products such as T-Cut. The surface revealed can then be polished and buffed up to a good shine.

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Country flag
Wonderful David,

I like the 2nd pic where RCE seems to wait for us :clap:

Xavier

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Country flag
They are worthy of a place on the line. View attachment 226045

View attachment 226044

Two great photos, but on a minor point, the pantograph should be facing the other way I think.