So You Think Playmobil Is Toylike And Not Worthy Of A Place On Your Line?

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
So I am being a bit contraversial with that heading and totally disagree with it. But I wanted to get some attention for Trains and other things that have a place on your line. Plus for beginners hopefully a bit of inspiration.

But first some good points about Playmobil:-
- Couplings are LGB Compatible, in fact in many ways better. Love the easy uncoupling given by the Top Push.
- Scale matches LGB perfectly.
- Price if you hunt is good.
- Buildings match too, can often be found at knock down prices at Boot Sales.
Negative Points
- Double Buffers
- Dodgy Bright Colours
- Not always based on a Prototype

All of the negatives can be addressed. So a few pics of my Mods with a New one to show what has been done.

The first one is one of 3 differing Hoppers that have been produced. I am looking at the Yellow one in the First Pic here. It is interesting however to see the Black one which is to be covered shortly and shows some of the many Colour Schemes that are out there. Theme for a Collection perhaps? I took the original which was I think all yellow, cut off the Doubke Buffers and mounted just one Central. Complete pull down and repaint with Halfords Rattle Brown, Weathering and New Printed Stick on Lettering completes the look. Oh and Bachmann Metal Wheels. Oh plus I made removable Loads, one can be seen to the Left.

67835_811575d13a505721d9eb5db87dea532e.jpg
67836_f14b0e33606ba3e4378715312e016760.jpg

The next all Yellow one is he same vehicle that was in the first Pic, i.e. The Black one. Exactly the same treatment as my previous one was subjected to.

67837_bce414fe2a2b13a12e8e04058585807c.jpg
67838_8712800c2bdd05cf924f77363527fcb2.jpg

So this is my starter on this thread, to come Locomotive, Signals and Lineside accesories.

Remember Playmobil can be got on Amazon and Ebay. Look at the Catalogue, search for the number and look for the best price on both Amazon and Ebay. If you find one you like, search more for the best price. On Ebay if looking at second hand, beware of Missing Couplings. Most other things can be bodged to make good. Missing Wheels certainly not a problem as I always replace these, you just might get a Wheeless Bargain!
JonD

Last edited:
casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
At the CFR we have quite a bit of Playmobil both locomotives and rolling stock. It is very good gear and the only downside is that the locomotives do not like damp or wet conditions.
67839_a4c2c84bbdae1f88845bcec884b39685.jpeg

Repainted Playmobil locomotive with LGB coaches.
67840_7c701df72313435debd44596a683318d.jpeg

This set is loved by our visiting youngsters who get to drive it.
67841_e0eb80a307c13d85241d1e070d0e51a0.jpeg

trammayo

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
The word 'toy' is often used in derogatory sense but that word has many meanings. Yes it can be seen as 'toylike' but I think Playmobil has something that no other manufacturer of 'models' (or toys) has in our preferred scale - a complete system!
It's generally too modern in outline for what I want, but I do use components for bashes.

F

fridge

Registered
15 Jan 2012
Sussex
Except for a child, I would think that unmodified Playmobil is not really acceptable. Having said that, I have two such locos on my line. The first is one of the original red diesels which has been repainted, converted to radio control and various 3D printed bits added and the second is the yellow diesel as yet unmodified but hopefully to receive a "retro" treatment in the near future. The models are cheap, run well and it's easy to make individual models from them. I have a vague plan to take the flat wagon which came with my yellow diesel, add a Gauge 1 "Fosmotor" and 3D printed cab and make a "Cargorunner". It takes all sorts.....

MTheStrong

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
I run Playmobil when my grandchildren visit. It is an ideal way to introduce children to model railways. The grandchildren each have their own locos and stock and running them gives them endless fun.

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Some excellent modelling there JonD. I would have no qualms in using something called a toy if they are as well made as Playmobil. In the big world of business we should remember that LGB, PIKO, etc models are all classified as toys. It's just that some children never grow up! :)

David1226

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
The entire fleet of freight wagons on the Claptowte Railway is converted from LGB 'Toytrain' wagons.

67848_8a5bbd6000d46c72c41cab3424ae9163.jpg

David

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
So some good use as I always expected of Playmobil out there. Davids transformations being particularly well done. What I would certainly call Scratch Building but using a good base to start with.

My next offering is the small Diesel that is currently on sale at Amazon for just over £100. At that price it is good value, but possibly keep an eye out in January etc where even Argos could be knocking them out well cheep.

As promised my conversion to one of these beasts, I have documented the Conversion fully on this site:-

https://www.gscalecentral.net/threa...transformation-this-time-a-baby-kamel.297642/b

I also used the Diode Trick by PaulRHB to get the beast more controlable. Sorry was not able to find the link for this.

67849_fed9977713c20ae53036bcaabe9eb9f4.jpg
67850_42f57e09f614b9df80fe31873b47e2d0.jpg

As I hope you can see the Buffers have been Singled and the Repaint transforms the beast. If I were to do any more work to this Loco I think that I would replace the Handrails and put some more on the Cab Sides. Possible even some by the Steps for a Shunter.

The next sets are the 5257 Fork Lift (though this may be the wrong number as I cant find it now) and Cargo Action Loading Team. These I thought would look good in my Harzegerode Station area as this was a heavy industry site. As you can see from new they are somewhat Garish.
67851_c01ffecc28088bc581f7c0c1344489bb.jpg

67852_ad95267cb463f2c4c5a0df722b12086d.jpg

But some scraping with an old bit of Hack Saw Blade on the Pallets makes them look like they are Wood. Some weathering with very let down (thinned) Acrylic Black and dry brushed Tamiya Hull Red to simulate rust has them looking insignificant.

67853_6b8a766ad0051145799b84f93e4ed64e.jpg

The Container is actually one that came with the Playmobil Wagon. But is in the first state of its dulling down I.E. Having had the markings taken off with a Fibre Brush. I will probably fill the crates and bins with Scrap Metal of some sort, perhaps one of the Crates will get some New Engine Blocks in when I can find some or get round to making them. As that is what used to happen at Harzegerode in the 1980's.

JonD

Last edited:
Dave500UK

Dave500UK

50 yrs playing trains
3 May 2015
Fylde Coast
www.livewyre.co.uk
Where does the definition of a toy end and a model start? Price or detail/accuracy? It doesn't seem to be quality as the Playmobil stuff is in many ways better quality than others.
As most of us run totally fictitious garden railways with only a passing nod to a prototype does it really matter if the stock is not a replica of a real item? Not really, it's much more important that it just works, and continues to do so for many years.
I'd rather buy a toy looking Playmobil then apply some paint and a few detail items than a highly detailed model that is too fragile for it's intended outside use or that fails after a few months use.

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
"Where does the definition of a toy end and a model start?"

According to the gentler sex, anything we entertain ourselves with is a toy. Be it trains, cars, boats, guns, etc., etc., etc. In our world, I would consider even the most detailed rivet perfect locomotive a toy. It's just a high priced or well crafted toy.

After all, I live in my own little world. But it's okay, they know me here.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
"Where does the definition of a toy end and a model start?"

According to the gentler sex, anything we entertain ourselves with is a toy. ........
Very true, but then again they have their toys too, most of which are also electrically operated..... :devil: :devil: :devil: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jon.

Dave500UK

Dave500UK

50 yrs playing trains
3 May 2015
Fylde Coast
www.livewyre.co.uk
Good job they aren't live steam!! :swear:

ntpntpntp

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
It's good stuff, I have a few items originally acquired when my lad was much younger. At least one loco has a DCC chip.

Why do some folk insist on calling it Playmobile? It's Playmobil, there is no "e" on the end!

beachdonkey

beachdonkey

Model railways, classic cars, music
14 Sep 2015
bedford
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
I'd been using Playmobil at fire station open days for 12 years or more and so, when I moved into trains, that was one reason for buying Playmobil. Another reason was it's robustness with few pieces to break off and plenty of weight and its reliability. All my locos are secondhand and so the track-powered, outline steam ones must be at least 21 years old, but they still run reliably for hours at a time. Yet another reason was that I could afford it!

On the question of detail, it's surprising how much detail there is now Playmobil and, indeed, often has been. From the outset there was detail in the form of hats, cuffs, tools and other equipment. Cars came with warning triangles in the boot, builders with hard hats, firefighters with breathing masks from 1976, two years after the first sets appeared. I remember in the 1990s at an open day at Bridlington Fire Station, the Station Officer was dragged across by the crew to point out to him that the toy fire engine carried a portable pump (and you could actually pump water through and run two hoses off it) while their full size machine did no!

I was surprised at the comment at the comment about Playmobil locos being affected by the damp and wet (although I notice that the accompanying photo is if the new diesel loco). I know Walter Turner on this board has had Playmobil locos snowed over for days, but after clearing the snow off has found had them run straight away.

I do have some LGB stock. An early Spremberger, which with its 14V motor and general demeanour reminds me of Playmobil. Four of the 3050 coaches (very nice with their opening doors), a postal van and a couple or so of goods vans. Oh, and the gunpowder van - great fun, especially when a modl railway fan comes across the concept for the first time!

duncan1_9_8_4

duncan1_9_8_4

Real Ale, Camping It Up, Traveling and the likes.
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
I have always been quite impressed by the yellow locomotive, it actually looks good.

AustrianNG

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
North Wales
I like my toys to look like models.

Some great modelling on this thread - Claptowte Railway wagons - excellent, but they are models.

Playmobil is great for kids.

So unless kids are visiting, "unmodelled" Playmobil is not worthy of my line.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Why do some folk insist on calling it Playmobil[B said:
e[/B]? It's Playmobil, there is no "e" on the end!
Oops spolling and ibservation were never my string points.
JonD

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
So the next items are Signals. Playmobil do at least 2 Railway ones to my knowledge.
4397 Electric Lamps.
4394A What I call a Wigly Wagly or Semaphore Signal to the more Railway Orientated Bods on the site.

Both are rather nice, though I have never had or use any of the Lamp ones.

The Semaphores 4394A have appeared many times on my lines. But only with proper Panel Control on my last 2 lines. They are fully operatable as bought but I use them with my Air System. Though I guess they could easily be bodged to work from an LGB or Similar Point Motor. When I get them they the Arm gets sprayed Halfords Matt White then when Dry Signal Red on the side facing onwards Trains. A small piece of White Tape finishes the Arm job. The rest of the Signal gets a respray in Halfords undercoat Grey to tone them down somewhat. I also make up an Angle Crank and thin wire to fix them up to my Air Motor (you can make out the Brass Air Motor and Supply Pipe on the Pic). On the one in the Pic there is on the Triangle 4 P's, this is a leave over from my last line where I had 4 Signals and each one had a Different Whistle Code to attract the Signalmans attention.
67859_8e4db139dd7dedefa70e141460ad2104.jpg

I am sure someone out there will have used one of these, would love to see some pics and hear how well they perform in the Great Outdoors.

Now pics of the Semaphores.

67860_ca870f7b464fd5b0b4190470dab43c6b.jpg

67861_bbb4a59d09ae70a12662a4c13e6fdb35.jpg

JonD