Shourt Line 5512405 question.

Wr3ckage

Wr3ckage

Registered
10 Feb 2020
Long island
Hey guys had a question about this SL5512405 Digital Analog unit. It's a really nice analog unit for $300. I was wondering does this unit automatically control the smoke, sound and lights on DCC trains? Like the LGB 27872 Mikado for example?

I saw the youtube video on it and the loco was doing all it's normal sounds and such automatically.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
No idea, but if it's analogue, I wouldn't have thought it would control a DCC loco's bits and bobs. Still looks an impressive bit of kit

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I believe that in the US there are some specific Analogue units that can control many sounds, not sure if they will work as a DCC controller but may do a lot with just one Loco on the Track. Over to you guys in the States please.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
If it doesn't 'talk' DCC, it won't 'control' DCC..

BUT,
Within the decoder settings, it is possible to define what will be 'on' if the loco is run on an analogue-powered track. - You can set if lights, smoke, sound will be on or off.
Many of the earlier LGB loco's also had reed-switches within the motor-block. - This would allow track-magnets to trigger the whistle/bell.

You may get 'effects'like starting-whistle sequences (dependent on direction, and how the sound-scheme is setup). - You would not have 'manual' control of sounds.

LGB333

LGB333

Hey guys had a question about this SL5512405 Digital Analog unit. It's a really nice analog unit for $300. I was wondering does this unit automatically control the smoke, sound and lights on DCC trains? Like the LGB 27872 Mikado for example?

I saw the youtube video on it and the loco was doing all it's normal sounds and such automatically.

This is strictly a DC/Analog powered loco and controller demo......you'll notice the user is only turning the power knob. So it's the loco's DC/Analog circuit board, or perhaps a DCC/DC decoder installed, that's programmed with automatic sounds. Many DCC/DC decoders will have these features when operating a loco in DC power. For example, when using a Piko DC/DCC Sound Decoder (made by Soundtraxx for Piko) will, when applying about 5 volts power, will start the lights, smoke unit and steam generator sound, then applying more voltage, the loco will start to move and the forward whistle will sound. And when you stop the loco, if you keep about 5 volts on, the steam generator will still sound, the lights and smoke unit will continue to operate. The user in the video is doing all these same type movements with the power control knob. But you don't need a $300 DC power controller like the one shown in the video to do these things......any DC power supply will do it. You're paying more for that video DC controller for the volt meter display. But the nice thing with a DCC Sound equipped loco, when operating in DCC power, you can program the decoder for some automatic sounds, but also control all the sound features manually with your hand held wireless controller.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Pretty pictures, but the description tells all:

SL-DC-5-SPS-Set: Any Gauge Precision Train Power, SL 5A Amp Digital Precision Voltage/Amperage Throttle + 24V 6A Switching Power Supply w AC cord

Complete Digital Analog Train Control System

SL 5502405 5A Amp Digital High Efficiency Precision Voltage/Amperage Throttle
SL 5122406 Regulated SW Power Supply 24 VDC at 6 Amp
AC power cord​

5 amp 24 volt DC supply... the words "digital", "high efficiency", "precision" could be erased and the product description would read more truthfully.

Yes, you have more "precision" since you have a digital readout, and it's probably regulated... who cares? Unless you want to memorize the exact voltage you like to run at, it's a gussied up DC powerpack. This is along the line of the Birdgeworks "pure DC" supplies... It has a pretty display, but when I run trains, I look at the train not the power supply.

If you need a DC system, why not buy a simple, rugged 10 amp one? You will probably never need more unless you go MTH

I have one that does the job with any number of locos, pretty much:

Street price around $250, but a bit hard to find... but rugged and 10 amps

Or the MRC 9950 if you only need 5 amps.

I keep the Power G in the rare case someone brings an analog loco...

Greg