Secondhand Playmobil At Tennents

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Dear All,

Fresh back from Halesowen, clutching the box of PM. I feel the need to share this!

This is what you get when you spend £127 at Tenant's:

IMG_1241.JPG

Not the cat, obviously, although she liked the box too!

This is clearly a Steaming Mary Train set, plus a Pensy Train set, but without the rails

These have both been played with a little, or not at all. There is next to no wear on the wheels and skids. Some items are still bagged and sealed, including the finials and cow skull for the front of Steaming Mary. Many others are still attached to the sprues. The duck boards and seat have never been fitted to the caboose, but the interior fittings and chimney are all there. Even the usually lost ramp for the cattle truck is there. All the figures have scarves, hats etc but these are all loose and look like they have never been put together.

The locos and stock are a little dusty, so will need a good wash

One buffer needs replacing, three of the coupling springs are broken (as is often the case) and most significantly the 2-4-0 loco is missing the right hand smoke deflector, although I had just one in my spares box and it was the correct one! That was lucky!

Just powered them both up. Steaming Mary's tender is collecting from all six contact points, but the 2-4-0 is only collecting from the skids, so will need a quick clean of the wheel backs and wipers. I am well pleased with this!

Thanks again Chris! Much appreciated.

James

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Country flag
Well, you got a real bargain there, James! Well done! I see that there is just the 4052 loco and tender in original box and looking in very good condition which has already reached £140.90 with six days to go.

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Thanks Gordon,

That 4052 will have two motors of course, wheras mine is the cheapy version from the Pensy set, that only has one and a dummy in the tender. It is usually the two motor version that fetches top dollar. The box is good too, for storage.

I have replaced the broken couplings and buffer, oiled round and got both trains running outside this afternoon. It was pleasantly mild and after a quick track clean I stuck some magnets on and off they went!

It was quite odd for me to see a bulb lit 2-4-0 and an unlit S M taking to the rails, but was good fun.

IMG_1242.JPG

I think I will just clean them up and then leave them as they are for the time being. Ultimately the 2-4-0 will become a Blue/Red/Black Frank S spoof!

James

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Country flag
I keep forgetting that the "US version" of the 4052 only had one motor! A strange sort of dedcision it seems.

Good to see that you're getting fun out of the two of them already.

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Gordon,

I think it was to keep the set costs down, as the single motor could adequately cope with the two wagons and unweighted tender. However being Playmobil - The standard motor block just clips in! The unpowered block is a great source of PM metal wheels which can then be fitted to real motor blocks where the wheel plating is failing.

James