Secondhand Playmobil At Tennents

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Country flag
I was in Tennents of Halesowen today and they have some secondhand Playmobil in stock. There are some coaches and a couple of locos. I was told the locos had LGB mechanisms fitted. play2.jpg play1.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Country flag
Looks like it could be the 125th anniversary of something.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Country flag

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
[QUOTE=" I was told the locos had LGB mechanisms fitted.
Chris,

Thanks for posting this. The bit about LGB mechanisms is an urban myth. Just by catching a glimpse of the the collector shoes and the wheels I can see that the mechs are original Playmobil.

I think that the confusion arises because Playmobil copied the LGB concept of a horizontal motor that acts as a layshaft, driving gears on both axles. The fitting on the nickel shoes adds to the illusion. They are great mechanisms and that twin motor 2-4-0 is a fabulous hauler. The wild west loco has lots of character too. Despite both locos havng a few bits missing, the only thing that stops me getting in my car right now to go to Halesowen and buy these is that I already have several of each!!

James

Last edited:

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Ooops Sorry! Made a mess of my editing! No idea what happened.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Country flag
£45 for the Playmobil loco's is an 'honest' price, especially if they run well..
£250 for a Stainz (even a gold-plated one) is OTT.

All opinions are mine, of course..

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
£45 for the Playmobil loco's is an 'honest' price, especially if they run well..
£250 for a Stainz (even a gold-plated one) is OTT.

All opinions are mine, of course..

Agreed 100% for the Playmobil. A decent motor block will set you back most of that! My Stainz cost me around £40 in 1977!!

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Sorry guys! Just bought them. I can resist anything except temptation! There were a number of wagons too, at a crippling £6 each. good value indeed!

James

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Country flag
Sorry guys! Just bought them. I can resist anything except temptation! There were a number of wagons too, at a crippling £6 each. good value indeed!

Shucks, thbat's why they haven't replied to my email about the 2-4-0!

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Shucks, thbat's why they haven't replied to my email about the 2-4-0!

Sorry Gordon!

I didn't know that you did track power?

I feel really bad now! If you really want it, PM me and we can sort something out. I not greedy and I am sure I can get by with those I have already. I am going to collect it all from them on Monday.

James

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Country flag
I swore at one time I'd never do track power, but having bought a track powered loco I found it was somehow different from R/C - you feel so much more "connected" to the loco, you are driving it rather than controlling it. That may sound silly, but that's how it feels.

There's no need to feel bad, James, you got there first. I hesitated and thought that the price mentioned in the thread couldn't be right and asked Tennents what they were asking rather than plunging in.

I think, too, that as some sort of Time Lord you had the advantage anyway. All the posts in this thread are marked as "Today", but in their reply to my email Tennents say everything was sold late yesterday!

Regarding your very kind offer, being sensible rather than thinking, "Yes, I've always wanted one of those", it isn't really practical on my layout as it's designed for a maximum of three pieces of rolling stock with an 0-4-0 on runarounds etc. and a 2-4-0 just wouldn'tt look right with only a couple of coaches. Many thanks nonetheless.

5H17

Railways and Diesel preservation, American cars
I very nearly popped in there on my way home from the SVR. Wish I had now. Ho hum!

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Country flag
Blimey I should be on commission!
Tennents web site is still in contention for being one of the worst ever. They also have a secondhand LGB Harz 2-10-2 at £990 I think.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Country flag
Blimey I should be on commission!
Tennents web site is still in contention for being one of the worst ever. They also have a secondhand LGB Harz 2-10-2 at £990 I think.

NO!!!

(We have five already!!) :oops:;)

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Thank you Chris for posting this in the first place and thanks to Gordon for being so understanding.

This one gives me the opportunity to try out a Frank S type colour scheme, which will be fun. The thing that I have have always enjoyed is going through a 'lot' or secondhand Playmobil, cleaning it up and fixing it up. Not done that for quite a while.

The only issue I usually find is that the wheel wipers have sometimes become oily and sticky. So after a quick clean of these and the backs of the wheels to ensure pick up from the loco is on all 6 points of contact, you are off and running!

Thanks again!

James

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Glad it all went to good home PM that is. Good to know what the expensive Stainz was. Not my thing, but the bar has been set price wise for the German 2-4-0. Will get one some time, then do a Battery Job on it.

I had always thought about the US 4-4-0 as a possibility to Convert to the very early Cab Forward. James want to take that project on board ?
JonD

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Glad it all went to good home PM that is. Good to know what the expensive Stainz was. Not my thing, but the bar has been set price wise for the German 2-4-0. Will get one some time, then do a Battery Job on it.

I had always thought about the US 4-4-0 as a possibility to Convert to the very early Cab Forward. James want to take that project on board ?
JonD

Jon,

I think that both were cheap. Both usually command a lot more. Normally the standard steam loco goes for more than these!

No thanks. I have done a couple of projects with the 4-4-0 including adding coupling rods and my own replica of a bizarre 'European' version of it that once graced the internet discussion columns and Walt will be familiar with. However the surgery required for both projects was minor compared to a cab forward!!!

I do have 4-4-0 that is now RC with a genuine PM chassis in the tender, which was a squash and a squeeeze to quote Julia Donaldson! A chum and I have also been working on an RC version of the 2-4-0. We have found two issues. Firstly getting an RC mech in the tender as before with SM and how to make the front bogie on the loco clear the RC chip.....

Nearly there though....

James