Saturday 5th September 2020.

• Thread starter casey jones snr
  • Start date
Fezwig

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Nice colour scheme - I s'pose you'll just have to chop the last coupling off :p:p

We have fond memory of riding in coaches like that - especially the curry supper train, complete with a bottle of Engine Shed red :clap::clap::clap:
A Titfield Tunderbolt style coupling made of a bit coat hanger :sweating:

Chris Vernell

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Morning all, sunny but cool start to the day. Wonder what will emerge in the voices in my head to tell me what to do?.
The voices in my head can rarely get a word in edgewise ... :speechless:

Anyway, g'day all :hi:.
Lovely morning, hope to get outside after The Voice finishes my orders o_O.
Onward (we need a tottering emoji) :nerd:

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Heh, I thought you'd like that, Chris. Just wait till you see it with my express reefer behind the tender!! And in the fullness of time, when Canada Post get off their collectives butts, maybe the second one I bought from a fellow G1-er over in Gatno. Seven weeks and counting, so far.......................................................

This one is the one I built....

1599320873902.png

Chris Vernell

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Heh, I thought you'd like that, Chris. Just wait till you see it with my express reefer behind the tender!! And in the fullness of time, when Canada Post get off their collectives butts, maybe the second one I bought from a fellow G1-er over in Gatno. Seven weeks and counting, so far.......................................................

This one is the one I built....

View attachment 272634
Whoever thought up the livery for those Hudsons scored a winner.
And your model is lovely.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
So, it's Pimms o'clock with what really is the last of the raspberries. We started the season with the first strawberries on 31st May, and then smoothly transitioned to raspberries at the other end of the fruit cage in the first week of July :cool: :cool:

.. and in other news, some weeks, possibly months ago we were discussing the question of database / list / or inventory of our stock, well ..................... while playing with my trains this afternoon, I think I found something that I missed off the list :emo::emo::emo:

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Good evening from sunny Cambridge!

Not long back from my mate Norm's, where a group of us had a socially distanced running session.

Mostly G1 stuff; a couple of class 66 sheds, a rather nice class 37 tractor and a meth fired 3F, as well as a Roundhouse live steamer and a weathered Playmo diesel hauling some W&L freight stock. Also a few boats.

I took one of my Wizzy Cranks (formerly owned by Idle Marvel) and my EdeB Unimog to run on DCC, whilst Mizzy drove a Jet-Ski on the pond....

thumbnail_20200905_145150.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Good evening, All!
What a carp day to have anything to do with newspapers! :(:rolleyes:
I wonder if they factored in the extra journeys 'we' all made to deal with the fallout of their actions? - Very environmentally friendly!

Other then that, a very lazy-day, here in the middle.. :snooze:

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Whoever thought up the livery for those Hudsons scored a winner.
And your model is lovely.
Sad to say, Chris, it was an un-named member of the CPR publicity team back in 1937/8 who came up the refined, sophisticated Art Deco colours. Unless somebody from Fred's OVAR group can shed some light on it. I totally agree with you - the deep maroon and mid-grey was back then, and still is, a stunningly apt mix of two shades. I love it to bits.

My model is alcohol-fired, although there are a few gas-fired examples around. Friend Alan Wright's Mrs, Phyl, has the very next build serial number to mine. I owe a great deal to Cliff Luscher, late of Accucraft US, for his help and assistance in getting parts for this model after it arrived here in UK having been trashed by the goons of the TSA in some kind of examination frenzy. Not only had they apparently used it for football interference training, but they even left their little probes in the packaging, where they had tested it for explosive content. Sheeeesh.

Geoff Calver over here in UK got it fixed in short order after Cliff cannibalised a model in Union City for me, but it wiped out any benefit I had in my early purchase discount, by a long chalk .:( You can't sue the TSA for damages incurred during their 'inspection' of your property.

The early story of this remarkable models from the idea in the mind of Jerry Hyde in Ohio, to the first paint-job of the prototype by David Morgan-Kirby in Ontario, the complete re-design pf the boiler by the magician, Mr Abbott, and the early testing of it hauling twenty heavy cars on a snow-filled back-yard track in Orangeville, would make for a great read.

1599327241957.png

Fezwig

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Good evening from sunny Cambridge!

Not long back from my mate Norm's, where a group of us had a socially distance running session.

Mostly G1 stuff; a couple of class 66 sheds, a rather nice class 37 tractor and a 3F, as well as a Roundhouse live steamer and a weathered Playmo diesel hauling some W&L freight stock. Also a few boats.

I took one of my Wizzy Cranks (formerly owned by Idle Marvel) and my EdeB Unimog to run on DCC, whilst Mizzy drove a Jet-Ski on the pond....

View attachment 272637
Ha! 66 on a ballast, someone's out for the night! when we had a lot of engineering work, we used to say EWS = every weekend spoilt o_O

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I spent this morning, from around 9:30, over at the little railway at Ramsey Mereside, re-proofing the woodwork on a 600ft track with untold amounts of seperate sidings and spurs., as anybody who has been there would readily testify. Chief among my efforts was an 8 foot long, twin-track all-wood truss bridge of astounding complexity, with many sneaky little corners, nooks and crannies needing a goodly glop of, uh, glop. It'd be this one here on a recent Youtube video -

Very nice tac. Seems like you've invented a new term for "testing ' , "Reproofing the Woodwork" certainly has a certain ring to it!

Nodrog1826

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Alpineandy

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Did you pop into the Lion?
No I was on the moto and don,t do pubs when riding, it was busy as usual. Tearooms at Rosedale Abbey is my usual stop off.

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Sad to say, Chris, it was an un-named member of the CPR publicity team back in 1937/8 who came up the refined, sophisticated Art Deco colours. Unless somebody from Fred's OVAR group can shed some light on it. I totally agree with you - the deep maroon and mid-grey was back then, and still is, a stunningly apt mix of two shades. I love it to bits.

My model is alcohol-fired, although there are a few gas-fired examples around. Friend Alan Wright's Mrs, Phyl, has the very next build serial number to mine. I owe a great deal to Cliff Luscher, late of Accucraft US, for his help and assistance in getting parts for this model after it arrived here in UK having been trashed by the goons of the TSA in some kind of examination frenzy. Not only had they apparently used it for football interference training, but they even left their little probes in the packaging, where they had tested it for explosive content. Sheeeesh.

Geoff Calver over here in UK got it fixed in short order after Cliff cannibalised a model in Union City for me, but it wiped out any benefit I had in my early purchase discount, by a long chalk .:( You can't sue the TSA for damages incurred during their 'inspection' of your property.

The early story of this remarkable models from the idea in the mind of Jerry Hyde in Ohio, to the first paint-job of the prototype by David Morgan-Kirby in Ontario, the complete re-design pf the boiler by the magician, Mr Abbott, and the early testing of it hauling twenty heavy cars on a snow-filled back-yard track in Orangeville, would make for a great read.

View attachment 272636

Beautiful locomotive. Canadian steamers are instantly recognizable by a few of their details. One of which is the curved side plate below the cab.

F

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London

View attachment 272636
Beautiful model and prototype
I think the deep maroon was adopted by the CPR after the LMS Royal Scots visit your Notth America
I had the pleasure of travelling Behind the CPRs publicity loco in 2004, F15F781E-5AD9-43C1-B643-50C2112F9030.jpeg 8EB739F3-64C8-448D-9332-FDAB78E78FE3.jpeg 680B3073-3D23-4266-B23D-E7DBB5378BB0.jpeg number 2816, a non cased Hudson that they rescued from Steamtown USA and restored to running order.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
F

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Beautiful model and prototype
I think the deep maroon was adopted by the CPR after the LMS Royal Scots visit your Notth America
I had the pleasure of travelling Behind the CPRs publicity loco in 2004, View attachment 272660 View attachment 272661 View attachment 272662 number 2816, a non cased Hudson that they rescued from Steamtown USA and restored to running order.
I forgot to say, When on the trip mentioned above I was told the blue superseded stainless steel cladding/casings applied The boilers to avoid damage to the locos finish where locos travelled extensively through snow sheds In winter
No idea if this is true but sounded plausible

F

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Who's your Moll?
Ha ha
Not mine but a bunch of car enthusiasts (with posers) who turned up at a water stop And who wanted to get into the vintage spirit
Obviously a big steam loco turning up in a town was a big event

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Beautiful locomotive. Canadian steamers are instantly recognizable by a few of their details. One of which is the curved side plate below the cab.
Yes, it's a styling feature rather than any Canadian diesels kind of necessity, unlike the closed cabs - driving a loco at -35C can be quite an experience, even with that big 'heater 'in the cab!! Canadian diesel locos are also different from their US counterparts in the lower 48, with so called 'crew-comfort cabs' for the same reasons. Alaska Rail has seen the sense of having the same kinds of cabs, for the same reasons.

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
I forgot to say, When on the trip mentioned above I was told the blue superseded stainless steel cladding/casings applied The boilers to avoid damage to the locos finish where locos travelled extensively through snow sheds In winter
No idea if this is true but sounded plausible

Blue?

I see dove grey.

Only the 1939 Royal Train was blue and stainless steel - Accucraft also make a model of that, too, and it is just soooooooooooooooooooooooo gorgeous.....
I just noticed that in your top photo the loco is set up for reversing - was this for a photo run-by?

1599406242045.png