Safety Valve

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
As you know I had an out of water incident recently with my Lady Anne. I steamed up and it ran fine today. I did notice that the safety valve does start to blow (very gently) at 20psi and then properly lets go at 40. I guess this is normal?

Don't have a Lady Anne but my Garratt has a Roundhouse design of safety valve. It shouldn't really start blowing until the set pressure, whatever that is (mine's 60 psi but yours may well be 40). Usually a slight bit of persuasion will make them seat properly. This would involve a very gentle tap or gentle lifting and releasing - using some fine needle-nose pliers maybe. If it's been used a lot then maybe it's has some limescale but from what I've read elsewhere, I suspect it hasn't had that many steamings.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
No it's not been used much! Oh dear that's a shame so I need to try and reseat it. Any more detail how I might approach this?

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
Don't have a Round House myself but I would put a drop of steam oil in the top and work it in by lifting and releasing it,

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
2nd that if you can't test it buy a new one they arn't expensive and it never hurts to have a spare...............

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I agree with the above; replace the safety valve.
It wouldn't surprise me if Roundhouse didn't do an exchange service.
Having said that, I bought a couple of spare Accucraft ones for £11 each, so new shouldn't break the bank.

Dave

If you replace the safety valve every time it weeps a bit below its operating pressure, you are going to have a large number of safety valves in your bits box shortly.

If you decide to throw them out, can I have some of them please...

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hmm, I wouldn't call wisping at half it's set pressure acceptable, but each to their own... :)

Dave.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
None of my Roundhouse ones "wisp" at all they all blow off with a nice roar and snap shut? in fact I fitted one to my chedder as well it works so nice................