Rusty track

don9GLC

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Aberdeen
Best answers
<p>I started with G scale about 18 months ago and I bought an oval of Bachman track, obviously intended for indoor use. It appears to have tinned sheet pressed into a rail profile and mounted on plastic sleepers. It was inexpensive and I used this as an indoor test track which inspired me to buy some 'real' brass track and try the outdoors. But in this part of the world playing about with CV settings in the open at this time of year is not my idea of fun, and I recently got my test track out of the loft where it had been boxed for the past year or so.

I was disappointed that in places rust appears to have replaced the plating on the top of the rail. I have used a nylon pan scourer to remove the worst but I do not want to rub too hard and risk removing even more tinning. I like to think positively, so my test track is now excellent for ensuring that all power pickups are working!
</p><p> </p><p>Its not a major problem and I suppose I could live with a vigorous clean every time I use it, but has anyone had experience of less tiresome ways of dealing with this? I will probably use brass for my test track in time, but not just yet.</p><p> </p><p>Don
</p>

[attachment deleted by admin]

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
My old Triang OO stuff used steel track (had the magnahesion in the locos), it worked fine. The rusty patches might not be too good for conductivity, but the bright steel will be fine. Just keep it out of the damp to stop it getting anyworse. Regular use will keep it polished.

don9GLC

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Aberdeen
Best answers
"Regular use will keep it polished." What a great excuse to play trains all day long! :D thanks, Don