Rolling Stock display/storage

Northsider

Northsider

Registered
3 May 2012
I have been building display shelving for my rolling stock to go in the new 'railway room'. The smaller (goods stock) unit is based on a set of primary school plimsoll drawers: I cut it down from 5 drawers/5 ft wide to 4 drawers/4ft, and then added ends made from 18mm MDF. The shelves re use the originals from the shed, but with beading added. Then the whole lot was painted.

1603919724822.png

The passenger stock unit is 2 metres wide: each 'bay' is 650 mm wide -just enough to hold the 37ft stock plus couplings. This was built from scratch, using MDF and ply: I'm lucky to have the use of a large school workshop in the half term holidays!
1603919991415.png
All built, installed and painted over the past week: it just needs a couple of shelves to complete it:

1603920151185.png

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Brilliant! I think most people could live with that, even SWMBO. Mind you, there's still some jarring empty space that really needs filling ASAP:giggle:

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I have been building display shelving for my rolling stock to go in the new 'railway room'. The smaller (goods stock) unit is based on a set of primary school plimsoll drawers: I cut it down from 5 drawers/5 ft wide to 4 drawers/4ft, and then added ends made from 18mm MDF. The shelves re use the originals from the shed, but with beading added. Then the whole lot was painted.

View attachment 275626

The passenger stock unit is 2 metres wide: each 'bay' is 650 mm wide -just enough to hold the 37ft stock plus couplings. This was built from scratch, using MDF and ply: I'm lucky to have the use of a large school workshop in the half term holidays!
View attachment 275627
All built, installed and painted over the past week: it just needs a couple of shelves to complete it:

View attachment 275628
Very nice but what a pain to have to lump it all out to the Garden when you want to have a running session.

I moved from Luton in 2000 and that was how I used to have to have a running session by moving all the stock I needed out to the Garden, complete pain and it certainly reduced the amount of play days that I had in those days. Come the move to Hemel in 2000 I was determined to have rolling stock in Sheds, this was repeated when I moved to the nits in 2012 and I have not regretted that decision. Locomotives of course do stay indoors on shelves similar to those you have constructed.

For a running day 3-4 locomotives are placed on the track by the back door and move to the sheds, they then take the stock out into the garden to populate the stations with rolling stock which is in itself a satisfying bit of play. Similar process at the end of the session, most of the sidings in Alexisbad and Steige in my main shed except for a through line are full with Gernrode being completely full. Once things are moved out running the Timetable can commence. This process normally involves 10-15 minutes of satisfying shunting.

Northsider

Northsider

Registered
3 May 2012
Very nice but what a pain to have to lump it all out to the Garden when you want to have a running session.

I moved from Luton in 2000 and that was how I used to have to have a running session by moving all the stock I needed out to the Garden, complete pain and it certainly reduced the amount of play days that I had in those days. Come the move to Hemel in 2000 I was determined to have rolling stock in Sheds, this was repeated when I moved to the nits in 2012 and I have not regretted that decision. Locomotives of course do stay indoors on shelves similar to those you have constructed.

For a running day 3-4 locomotives are placed on the track by the back door and move to the sheds, they then take the stock out into the garden to populate the stations with rolling stock which is in itself a satisfying bit of play. Similar process at the end of the session, most of the sidings in Alexisbad and Steige in my main shed except for a through line are full with Gernrode being completely full. Once things are moved out running the Timetable can commence. This process normally involves 10-15 minutes of satisfying shunting.
The shelving is in the new garden room, with the main line running past the front door :). It was previously in a timber summer house - a bit cramped, and not very secure.

Northsider

Northsider

Registered
3 May 2012
Brilliant! I think most people could live with that, even SWMBO. Mind you, there's still some jarring empty space that really needs filling ASAP:giggle:
The Domestic Authority has noted that such furniture doesn't get made for the house...I think that may change.

I'm already working on the gaps: I have laser cut enough parts to make four or five new carriages: several six-wheelers and a half-brake. The workbench is installed, just need to get the machines bolted down to it. Some might say that I'm planning for retirement :rofl::rofl::rofl:.