Rolling Roads

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Hi All,

Has anybody used the rolling roads please,

There are a few available but not sure on which is the better for the price, The Proces set comes with 6 rolling roads and 4 stands/cleaners where most of the others are rolling roads only ?,

In the meantime may I thankyou you all for any replies and wish everyone A Happy Christmas.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Hi All,

There are a few available but not sure on which is the better for the price, The Proces set comes with 6 rolling roads and 4 stands/cleaners where most of the others are rolling roads only ?,

In the meantime may I thankyou you all for any replies and wish everyone A Happy Christmas.
I have the Aristo one and it works fine for me. Though it is only 4 rollers IE 0-8-0 loco I have used it for Harz 2-10-2’s and 6 wheel Mallets with no issues. If you have a Tender Loco or 2-10-2 you can support the pony wheels on some wood.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Hi All,

I made myself some cheapo ones:

Also see post 4037 a bit further down the page.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Do you need to transmit electricity through them, is your stock track powered or are you running battery/live steam ?

I run all methods so some years ago I opted for the Massoth product. The rollers clip in between the rails and a similarly mounted power connection is supplied. As I run up to 2-8-0 & 2-6-2 + 2-6-2 I bought two sets. Not cheap but very well made and great if you use an LGB type code 332 rail based track system. Max

20201222_122238.jpg

EDIT Seems like Massoth have redesigned them - They come as a pair of rollers and an electrical contact and no longer have the black base plate that sit over the sleepers to keep them at a uniform height and firmly clipped to the rail.

Last edited:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
I have the Bachmann Rollers which are similar to the ones that Max has above.

They work the same way. I think I got them from a show where GRS had a stand....

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Oh Gizzy got me wondering now if mine may be bachmann. I got 4 of them in the set, they sit on track and pick up juice from the side angle which is ally, the black stuff is some kind of insulating plastic or othr.
image.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Oh Gizzy got me wondering now if mine may be bachmann. I got 4 of them in the set, they sit on track and pick up juice from the side angle which is ally, the black stuff is some kind of insulating plastic or othr.
If they are Jon, they will have the Bachmann logo on each side.

Your's aren't quite the same as my ones....

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
If they are Jon, they will have the Bachmann logo on each side.

Your's aren't quite the same as my ones....
Ah no Logo so must be Aristo then, bought from GRS I think, would probably have got Bachman ones if I had got them at Glendale. Ah Glendale, how I miss that shop. Just the mention brings happy memories of Carolyn’s Coffee and Biccies plus Brian’s interesting retail methods of customer care.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Ah no Logo so must be Aristo then, bought from GRS I think, would probably have got Bachman ones if I had got them at Glendale. Ah Glendale, how I miss that shop. Just the mention brings happy memories of Carolyn’s Coffee and Biccies plus Brian’s interesting retail methods of customer care.
Yes, a shame that they had to retire.

I heard Brian is quite poorly....

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
I'm a big fan of the Bachrus Saddle sets that I bought many years ago, it's a shame the company ceased.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I've tried the Marion-Zeller roller track stand for scale 1 and G and was quite disappointed. They really look nice and are well made but the design just does not work well. The rollers are too small. LGB loco wheels don't apply enough torque (the lever-arm is too short because of the small roller size) to overcome the rolling resistance of the small rollers. The loco ends up just driving off the blocks. I tired many lubricants/adjustments but could not get them to work to my satisfaction.

I ended up getting two sets of new type Massoth rolling road. (Total of 4 axle blocks and 2 conducting blocks for the skates.) They work well but for value, I'd second Greg's suggestion regarding the Bachmann E-Z Rollers. The price per set of Massoth rollers has gone up by $20 since I bought mine. This is assuming you don't want or have the tools to make some yourself as Ebay Mike did.

Do keep in mind that at least 4 axle blocks are really needed for them to be truly useful. The price of Massoth rollers has gone up by about $20 per set since I bought mine. The E-Z Rollers look better and better when you start to add up the $s, £s, or €s.

edited to correct misspellings

Last edited:

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Hi All,

Many thanks for all the help,

Im running electric so no real problem there and no tools etc to make my own hence the request which has been very helpfull,
ive seen the Bachmann set for £75 = postage which seems a good deal,

Many thanks again for all of your help. :)

Derailed

Registered
12 Nov 2019
Lansing, KS
I bought the two of the Massoth sets and really like them. However, I didn't know about the Bachmann's at the time.