Rolling Roads

BakerJohn

BakerJohn

Model Railroader, Farmer, Pastry Cook
Has anyone ever used Hog Hill Works' Rolling Roads stationary rollers? I'm interested in there 'dummy' versions, since I don't need track power. Any comments are appreciated!

http://www.loco-boxes.co.uk/rolling-roads

EDIT: Or has anyone built something from scratch?

Last edited:
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I haven't used that particular brand, but they are all similar..

I would have thought you could source something from your side of the pond? - Less carriage-cost, perhaps?

I would suggest you get insulated ones though. That way you can test a track-powered loco, before you start converting, or if you want to keep the odd track-powered loco.

Having talked carriage costs.. I bought mine in the UK

rolling road

I have four sets of rollers, which sit on a length of track on the bench.. The box contains the metal 'stirrups', which cna be used to power a tender. - Never had them out of the box! :rolleyes:

Mine are made by Bachrus Inc. Oakville ON L6H 2C5 Canada.

www.bachrus.com

But the registration of the domain has just expired.. :oops::(

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Hogs Hill works is now owned by Chris Moody's Loco Boxes. They have a good reputation with their carrying cases so the rolling roads should be fine

Railfan

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
John, Accucraft makes some nice ones and are located in California. Their web site is at https://www.accucraftestore.com/ Their part number is AP28-301 and are called treadmills. They are about $20 each with four bearings (two per side) for one axle to sit on. Although, they are currently shown as out of stock, they may be able to tell you when they are receiving more. You could also try calling Mark at Silver State Trains at 702-361-2295 or Silver State Trains. Mark is an Accucraft dealer and may have some.

Good luck.

P

phils2um

Registered
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
It may be more than you want to spend but AllAboutLGB.com has the Massoth rolling road set for $57.90. I've made multiple purchases from them and had good service.

Phil S.

BakerJohn

BakerJohn

Model Railroader, Farmer, Pastry Cook
Thank you all. I'll look into these other options you have provided and go from there. I may also be able to fabricate something. We shall see...

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I may also be able to fabricate something.
You can always pop a block of wood under each bufferbeam.. - Everything 'just hangs', but is better than nothing..

maxi-model

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
I have had the Massoth ones for some years. Neat - individual units clip into LGB type 45mm/code 332 rail track section and are quick and easy to realign for different loco wheelbases. Insulated and with ball races, they are pretty tough - they cope with my all metal Mikes and a Garratt. One word of caution - they have plastic bodies so if you are going down the live steam route they might not be the most suitable. Don't ask me how I know but at least the one unit affected is still serviceable. Max

JimmyB

JimmyB

Learning; but slowly!
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
John, Accucraft makes some nice ones and are located in California. Their web site is at https://www.accucraftestore.com/ Their part number is AP28-301 and are called treadmills. They are about $20 each with four bearings (two per side) for one axle to sit on. Although, they are currently shown as out of stock, they may be able to tell you when they are receiving more. You could also try calling Mark at Silver State Trains at 702-361-2295 or Silver State Trains. Mark is an Accucraft dealer and may have some.

Good luck.
A word of warning, I have asimilar looking rolling road (Aristo-Craft I think), and the wheel flanges catch on the centre support, so do not roll!

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
This is one of my set of 4, Aristo or Bachman not sure which. Have been using them for both Live Steam and Electrics with no problems at all. I even use them without Track quite happily. If using on track the screws at the bottom cleverly align to make it all satisfactorily aligned. But with any Locomotive a bit of faffing to get the spacing right. On big lumpy 2-10-2’s I just let the middle wheel and bogies dangle whereever they are.
110003_84f8f2c2dc209c2a419c211651264eb8.jpeg

110007_5d4b91f02c6d14fcace4356d5c0b1045.jpeg

Oh crumbs and dog hairs!

JimmyB

JimmyB

Learning; but slowly!
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Jon the ones I have for my 0 Gauge are of that design and work well.

R

RogerK

Registered
3 Jun 2018
USA
John

The Train Department <thetraindepartment.com> has dual gauge test rollers for $26 per pair (one axle). Listed under Live Steam Parts and Accessories.

The TDRR brand is for items produced Jason Kovacs at the Train Dept. I don't have any of his rollers, but what I have bought was high quality.

If you order, he will email an invoice payable thru Intuit.

P

phils2um

Registered
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
John,

I can make you a very attractive offer on a 1000mm Marion-Zeller 1/LGB/G rolling road setup with 6 dollies. It looks very similar to what's in the EBay listing posted by Phil P. above. See www.mazero.de. I'll be honest - the quality is good and they're well made but I had trouble with them. Locomotives would jump the rather small bearings if operated above anything but the slowest speed. I tried fiddling with them somewhat but gave up and bought a couple of sets of Massoth rolling roads. If you're interested send me a PM.

Phil S.