Rising Cost/Price Of G Scale

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Country flag
And to get us back onto Garden Railways - a local toyshop had an "everything half price" closing down sale just as I was thinking of moving from O gauge in the attic to something bigger the garden. There was an LGB starter set, ex-display In the window, reduced by 50% to £125. I took it home - everything seemed to be there - Stainz, coaches, controller, track, no people, but an extra box of straights and an unexpected buffer stop - with bits if wire hanging out. I looked it up - a reversing unit, then current normal price £100-ish. Still got the Stainz and one coach... and the track... and the controller... all working...

Reactions: 1 user

NorthwestGarrattGuy

Articulate specalist of the Pacific Northwest
1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Country flag
The high prices of 00 (4mm) and 0 gauge (7mm)locos and trains has helped me justify buying secondhand G scale locos or parts from Bachmann USA, and then chopping them up to create much larger models of engines that appeal to me at a cost that I think I can say is reasonable (?) View attachment 294024 View attachment 294025 View attachment 294026 View attachment 294027 to the household authorities
The locos above all started as Bachmanns Emily
wow those are buetiful i love that midland paint scheme

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Country flag
The high prices of 00 (4mm) and 0 gauge (7mm)locos and trains has helped me justify buying secondhand G scale locos or parts from Bachmann USA, and then chopping them up to create much larger models of engines that appeal to me at a cost that I think I can say is reasonable (?) to the household authorities
The locos above all started as Bachmanns Emily

That's my costs risen now, I need a £290 Bachmann Emily to convert :)

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Country flag
I have friends that golf. Between club fees, tee off fees, golf equipment, golf cart rentals, and any other fees I'm not aware of and finally the time spent at the bar after a round of golf, they probably spend alot more than we do on our hobby.
I was astute enough to put aside plenty in my retirement plans so can now afford both, or all three if you include the pub;). If you don't see it in your take-home you don't spend it!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Country flag
I can see his Topic developing into something of a Marathon. I hope you don't end up with a Bounty on your head, just gaze up at the Milky Way and be a Lion, otherwise it will be no Picnic.

David
David, you Hero, you puns are Quality, Streets ahead of the others, bar none.

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Country flag
Why would anyone spend over AU$300 for the same old RhB box van? My 6 Newqida ones repainted cost about the same.
Like I say to new enthusiasts 'buyem while you can'. My spare room is stacked to the ceiling like a veritable train supermarket. Ahhh, the days of 'close out' sales. I doubt we will ever see that again. :shake:
well my plan is to go to hobby lobby or Joann and buy a bunch matierals and order loads of PLA from Amazon and scratch build Box Cars

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Country flag
My Son ordered a tub of Quality Street, from Amazon US, for our Christmas visit to Knoxville, they cost him $26 (£19). Our local Tesco store in the UK were selling the same size tubs at two for £7 ($9.54).

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
My Son ordered a tub of Quality Street, from Amazon US, for our Christmas visit to Knoxville, they cost him $26 (£19). Our local Tesco store in the UK were selling the same size tubs at two for £7 ($9.54).

David
Obviously, there's quality, and there's Quality Street :p:p

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Country flag

David
now i get its some candies i have never heard of

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Country flag