Status
Not open for further replies.

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Country flag
A new crocodile for well over 4 grand AU
$2,384.19 (AUD) from All Aboard (in stock now), or about $1,405.00 (AUD), including 1 to 2 month shipping, if you want to buy it VAT free from a European store.
AU$500 for a near perfect one 6 years or so back
Was it a DCC + Sound + pantograph-motor equipped Ge 6/6 I (like the current 23407 model)?

I've been buying new LGB stuff for over 40 years now, both locally and from the US and Europe. It seems to be the value proposition (as distinct from simple RRP price) has remained fairly constant over that time.

23407 vs 2040
Crocodile comparison 01.jpg

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Country flag
I had another look and the one over 4 grand is the metal one. Importing will also have shipping/insurance cost and attract a 10% local tax plus around $50 fee.
My one doesn't have DCC, sound etc. Yes they don't really compare so I see your point but it just depends on your requirements. There are plenty of barely used LGB items out there on the second hand market. LGB They are made so well they last almost forever if looked after.

Reactions: 1 user

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Country flag
Look on the bright side here in the UK you'll be able to sell your stock at over inflated prices to pay for your over inflated energy bills:(

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
Look on the bright side here in the UK you'll be able to sell your stock at over inflated prices to pay for your over inflated energy bills:(
Alas, the energy issue isn't limited to the UK :shake::shake:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
Yes, numbers from the government need to be viewed with a measured amount of suspicion always. But the price of bread, milk, gasoline, etc, is something that you can find true numbers from without asking the government, and you can calculate inflation of prices from that.

Same as for wages, many reports not from the government.

Greg
Yes, lies, damned lies, and statistics. In a comment column of my daily paper today: -

'99% of Belgians have more than the average number of legs.'

He does offer the statistical proof, but the point is made in defence of his argument against another 'woke' statistic. OK, maybe a thread drift too far, but it proves that one needs to unpack 'bare' statistics, and understand the what lies beneath.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Country flag
My favourite statistic is that 50% of motorists are caused through accidents.

David

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Country flag
I agree Dan, something stinks.... even over the last few years, listening to all the claims about how wages have risen, the cost of living has risen faster... this is just numbers and freely available.
Possibly one of the only positive things that has happened because of the pandemic is that a shortage in labor, due to people being smart and staying home, has prompted businesses to offer higher wages.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Country flag
So in the last 20 years, working for the same company, but with promotions, taking into account I have recently reduced my hours to 60% (so at assumed 100% hours), my wages have increased, and by a lot more than 50%
That's great, but I feel your situation is an anomaly.

congratulations! honestly good for you! But, that does not reflect the average I believe, and forgive me for just considering the USA.

I'm not following the numbers, my situation is good enough, and I have lots of friends who are on fixed incomes and it's not great, so I feel lucky. But, I have no great analysis or set of data at my fingertips.

Greg
Exactly Greg. I'm one of those on a fixed income as I have been retired for eighteen years. Only due to SWMBO's foresight over our working lives and my union's pension and annuity programs, do we now live alittle bit more comfortably.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
That's great, but I feel your situation is an anomaly.
Yep, tricky one when we tiptoe around the edge of personal finances, but Jimmy also refers to promotions.

So, not necessarily an anomaly, but a situation that applies to some people, but not all - herein lies the danger of averages and stats.

I still come back to the fact that, post Lehman and credit crunch, the fiscal policies of most western economies have resulted in very low interest rates and manageable y low inflation. With the support that governments have had to provide during the pandemic this will, inevitable change.

What we have to remember is that governments are a bit like banks - they don't have any money of their own, only your money ;);) and if they've been giving it away freely during the pandemic, they are going to need to ask for a bit more :(:(

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Country flag
Back to the tiny scales, Bachmann have announced an all-singing, all-dancing, 00 Class 37 (double-ended Co-Co diesel for those outside the UK) with sound, smoke and super-detailing with a price northwards of £300

Bachmann have not yet got round to doing an all-singing, all-dancing Cl.37 (Accurascale have grabbed that one), the one that you are thinking about is the revamped Cl.47, the models of which have started appearing in the shops.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
Bachmann have not yet got round to doing an all-singing, all-dancing Cl.37 (Accurascale have grabbed that one), the one that you are thinking about is the revamped Cl.47, the models of which have started appearing in the shops.
Yep, sorry, you're right :nod::nod:

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country flag
(curmudgeon mode ‘on’)
Yup….the good old days are gone. Not just trains, doncha know. single malts have really gone up, while the age statements on some disappear, guitars new or used, are scarcer, etc., ….first world problems, i know.

i will say, if preordered, marklin, especially z, is a good value, due to leaps and bounds in running gear, motors, lighting, and paint. Ditto with certain g scale items.

that being said, there are still occasionally values on ebay. Mostly not, but sometimes. I dont like ebay, but compared to retailers, it is what is readily available.

and new marklin pricing is , imho, helping the stupidly high bay prices.

imho, while i love the new marklin lgb locos for features and livery colors, subdued brass, etc., the retreads dont seem to have the same quality in plastic.and, replacement parts for these pricey models are more difficult to obtain. I would be more inclined to buy new marklin lgb IF the central station unit was idiot friendly, as it seems to really enable or enhance the new features. After a seminar on it by Marklin, i concluded even the tech reps had issues utilizing the central station. The last porter, new spremberger, franzberg, and others with sound are superb, and decent value, but, others like the bmw chromed f7s are very pricey compared to previous versions.

during covid, i have acquired …many lgb and pola g , n and z trains and accessories, many used, some new. Found myself buying 6 Spectrum locos and a few cars, simply due to a ‘now or never’ attitude…nothing like the appeal of unobtanium. And covid isolation and retirement.

Too, i have been buying more than a few Pola g items of yore…i like refurbishing and repainting some, building others. While often overpriced, others , even with shipping , are priced low. these are becoming more difficult to find, in the us at least. For me, considering weather worthiness and scratch building costs, i like pola stuff, even if cookie cutter.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Country flag
Haven't been to the pub in three weeks - I'll be seeing what prices the new year have brought shortly!:devil:

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Country flag
Haven't been to the pub in three weeks - I'll be seeing what prices the new year have brought shortly!:devil:
Only been in a pub twice in the last 2 years, last time more than 6 months ago.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Only been in a pub twice in the last 2 years, last time more than 6 months ago.
Sadly I am a regular visitor to my local Micro Pub. They opened some time after I got Barney in January 2017. Opening beer price was £3.20 a pint and is now 3.60. They held tye price for quite a while and I expect a rise before long. All the pubs in the nits with the exception of Weatherspoons and one of the Sun Pubs are now over £4 a pint some considerably more! What surprises me about this on Wednesday was the 5th anniversary of Barney arriving for me to foster him.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Country flag
Here's a thing, when you buy something you look at the price. But how often do you actually check the price of a drink in a pub before you buy?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Here's a thing, when you buy something you look at the price. But how often do you actually check the price of a drink in a pub before you buy?
Indeed so despite the fact that pubs have to display a price list by law. My normal plan is to move on if I think the beer is overpriced, certainly do if it is carp.

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Country flag
Importing will also have shipping/insurance cost and attract a 10% local tax plus around $50 fee.
That 23407 price was my full-landed-cost from a German hobby shop. That included insured shipping from Germany, and there were no local taxes or fees on arrival in Oz.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Country flag
That 23407 price was my full-landed-cost from a German hobby shop. That included insured shipping from Germany, and there were no local taxes or fees on arrival in Oz.

You were lucky. I've had a few slip past customs too from Germany. :)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
Having just read a newspaper article about inflation in the Eurozone (currently 4%) that's another aspect. Where the inflation rate of the country of origin is higher than one's own country, then the relative price increase will be greater :nod::nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.