Rising Cost/Price Of G Scale

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Yes prices are very high but the LGB stock on the LGB web site shop is very very low.
The usual retailers I am using in Germany have nothing to sell as well with LGB.
I was looking to buy wagons . No way . So I bought USA trains.
What is the reason of this lack of supply ?
High prices causing less sales?

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Country flag
Why would anyone spend over AU$300 for the same old RhB box van? My 6 Newqida ones repainted cost about the same.
Like I say to new enthusiasts 'buyem while you can'. My spare room is stacked to the ceiling like a veritable train supermarket. Ahhh, the days of 'close out' sales. I doubt we will ever see that again. :shake:

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Country flag
No need to worry about the cost of G scale - have you seen the cost of the smaller scales?

Let's forget UK 0 gauge - that's in the stratosphere - but an 00 gauge coach £60, bogie wagon £40 - £50. 009 locos around £200 before DCC, i could go on ..............

Makes G scale look pretty good value to me :nod::nod:
The high prices of 00 (4mm) and 0 gauge (7mm)locos and trains has helped me justify buying secondhand G scale locos or parts from Bachmann USA, and then chopping them up to create much larger models of engines that appeal to me at a cost that I think I can say is reasonable (?) AE0492A5-1BD5-460C-9E0D-F7DF5C4378F7.jpeg 36DF6730-415C-40A6-A195-1C284B0F6FC8.jpeg 42677AF3-7216-4DB3-BA0B-000945D69B50.jpeg AA627565-0A3C-46E4-9F3F-75843CBB8023.jpeg to the household authorities
The locos above all started as Bachmanns Emily

Reactions: 3 users

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Country flag
The usual retailers I am using in Germany have nothing to sell as well with LGB.

Perhaps the manufacturers anticipate a decline in sales due to economic decline because of the plague, zombie apocalypse, my sharona, You know what I mean. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Country flag
My take on the lack of stock in the shops is that, for new mouldings, at least, LGB announce a new model, and only when they get enough pre-orders do they put it into production, with a run size only slightly more than the level of orders. By the time you see one "in the flesh", and want one, they've all gone. That's why you see them on a well-known auction site at a premium!

Cheers

David

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Country flag
My take on the lack of stock in the shops is that, for new mouldings, at least, LGB announce a new model, and only when they get enough pre-orders do they put it into production, with a run size only slightly more than the level of orders. By the time you see one "in the flesh", and want one, they've all gone. That's why you see them on a well-known auction site at a premium!

Cheers

David

Unobtainium is so darn expensive. :(

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
COVID, I suspect. Almost every manufacturing country has had to lock down in one way or another, and the effects will take a while to filter through.

steinman

Comfortably Numb
24 Oct 2009
Cleveleys, Blackpool
Country flag
COVID, I suspect. Almost every manufacturing country has had to lock down in one way or another, and the effects will take a while to filter through.
It could be down to COVID or the fact Mr D buys up most of the suppliers stock :D:D

Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Country flag
The opening statement compares 2021 prices to 2000 to 2010 prices.

Inflation alone from 2000 has added over 50% to the price of everything.

There were also more discount dealers and higher volume.

I don't see anything weird, my water bill used to be $165 a month 20 years ago, last one was $500....
But has 50% been added to wages since 2000.....:wondering:.....

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Country flag

Cheers

David

I agree with this, Lgb production runs are very small now a days, and one an item has disappeared from shops, it’s very hard to find on the second hand market as there’s not many available.

Also comparing the price off OO vs g gauge and g does seem more and more better value

Dan

Martino

Kit bashing, The UK narrow gauge, The GWR, Aviatio
Country flag
It's enough to drive one to drink! (if you can afford it) :(
Drink I can afford, but the cost of getting to it is the problem!

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
I agree Dan, something stinks.... even over the last few years, listening to all the claims about how wages have risen, the cost of living has risen faster... this is just numbers and freely available.

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Country flag
My concern is that the G Scale OEM always complain from the shrinking G market. Thus I do not understand stock zero at Chrismas.
And I do not see any replenishment action

I had some positive pleasure reading the post from Paradise saying the situation is the same in the opposite side of the world . :D :D

I love very much this forum ...:)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
I agree Dan, something stinks.... even over the last few years, listening to all the claims about how wages have risen, the cost of living has risen faster... this is just numbers and freely available.
Yep, but it's not always a direct correlation. I appreciate that Greg has indicated 'freely available numbers' but sometimes government inflation figures inevitably register the average of a basket of indices which don't necessarily affect our own habits.

Equally, there was a period of a few years around 2010 in the UK where recorded inflation was very low but wages in some industries were rising quite quickly. This was because increasing product imports form the far east were below inflation, and having an off-set effect. Clearly that little bubble had to burst.

Add on the various manufacturing issues around the pandemic, and we are inevitably going to see an unwelcome, inflationary squeeze on our wallets. The best we can say here is that forewarned is forearmed, just don't do anything financially stupid that could leave one in an exposed position.

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
Yes, numbers from the government need to be viewed with a measured amount of suspicion always. But the price of bread, milk, gasoline, etc, is something that you can find true numbers from without asking the government, and you can calculate inflation of prices from that.

Same as for wages, many reports not from the government.

Greg

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Country flag
So in the last 20 years, working for the same company, but with promotions, taking into account I have recently reduced my hours to 60% (so at assumed 100% hours), my wages have increased, and by a lot more than 50%

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
congratulations! honestly good for you! But, that does not reflect the average I believe, and forgive me for just considering the USA.

I'm not following the numbers, my situation is good enough, and I have lots of friends who are on fixed incomes and it's not great, so I feel lucky. But, I have no great analysis or set of data at my fingertips.

Greg

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Florian Sieber the CEO of Simba Dickie ( parent company for Maerklin ) gave a very interesting speech outlining why costs have risen and why product is in short supply unfortunately I do not have a link ; but to sum up he blamed world shortages of raw materials , rising costs in China , increasing transport costs finally saying we will have to get used to it. For myself I spend the same but have less product to compensate I choose carefully and look after what I have bought

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Yes prices are very high but the LGB stock on the LGB web site shop is very very low.
A shortage of raw materials and staff (Covid) mean production runs are small and demand then outstrips supply

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Country flag
world shortages of raw materials
That I can believe. It is becoming very apparent that the world is running on empty for most things now, and our hobbies are the least of the World's concerns