Ringbalin Sugar Cane Line

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Country flag
Hah! I like SEP!
I seem to recall that it was an acronym used by the late Douglas Adams in his ‘Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy’ books. May have been recycled from elsewhere but brilliantly outlined and explained by Mr Adams. Well worth reading due to his excellent use of the English language in pointing out the foibles of human kind.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
Country flag
I seem to recall that it was an acronym used by the late Douglas Adams in his ‘Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy’ books. May have been recycled from elsewhere but brilliantly outlined and explained by Mr Adams. Well worth reading due to his excellent use of the English language in pointing out the foibles of human kind.
Was in the third book (Life the Universe and Everything) in trilogy of 5 parts if I remember correctly, where Arthur is at a cricket match at Lords.
An SEP field is explained as how you could hide a spaceship in plain sight, reasoning being people look at it can't comprehend so therefore it must be Someone Else's Problem of SEP.

The BBC TV series was where I was first introduced to the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy especiall the words "Don't Panic" on the cover.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Country flag
Killrust is a brand of treatments and paints the one I am using is just a paint primer then I am going to spray paint the tray.
As the metal has no rust at the moment there is no need for a rust converter, which does turn the rust black.
By the time its rusts through it will have become an SEP (Someone Else's Problem).

My own experience of galvanised metal (corrugated) was the need to have a specific wash to allow primers to adhere. I know that you have some raw metal edges which will take a variety of anti-rust treatments - just cogitating :)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Country flag
The BBC TV series was where I was first introduced to the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy especiall the words "Don't Panic" on the cover.
You have towel, so panicking is unnecessary

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Country flag
You have towel, so panicking is unnecessary
OIP._O0j4xtJpg-pRRBWrxqdjQHaJP

Oh, nothing like a spot of panic, especially when you realize someone has pinched your towel

GAP

Country flag
My own experience of galvanised metal (corrugated) was the need to have a specific wash to allow primers to adhere. I know that you have some raw metal edges which will take a variety of anti-rust treatments - just cogitating :)
The primer I am using is an etch primer that is designed for coated metals and aluminum.

GAP

Country flag
The cable tray has now been laid and the cut ends primed (2 coats).
Next up is to lay the weed mat the will stop the ballast from falling through the holes but allow water to pass. I'll give the whole thing a light spray with some grey primer first.
Then it will be onto laying the track, I am using AMS code 250 track and the sleeper mounts are very dubious as they have deteriorated in the sun.
The sleepers will be held in place by cable ties through the mat and looped around the tray.
I will have to spray paint the sleepers to protect them from further damage.
I am using "Split Jaw" rail clamps with a few slide on joiners to allow for movement due to temp fluctuations.

Cane Line loop finished.JPG

Cane Line loop finished 1.JPG

Cane Line mill run finished.JPG

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Country flag
The cable tray has now been laid and the cut ends primed (2 coats).
Next up is to lay the weed mat the will stop the ballast from falling through the holes but allow water to pass. I'll give the whole thing a light spray with some grey primer first.
Then it will be onto laying the track, I am using AMS code 250 track and the sleeper mounts are very dubious as they have deteriorated in the sun.
The sleepers will be held in place by cable ties through the mat and looped around the tray.
I will have to spray paint the sleepers to protect them from further damage.
I am using "Split Jaw" rail clamps with a few slide on joiners to allow for movement due to temp fluctuations.

View attachment 290981

View attachment 290980

View attachment 290982

Looks really neat - nice job!

GAP

Country flag
Update;
I went with shade cloth for under the track, because an experiment showed that the weed mat has to close a weave and did not allow water through easily, as opposed to the shade cloth which has an open weave

GAP

Country flag
Track has been laid and tested.
At the end of the "Farms" loop an LGB R1 point with loose blades has been installed, at the "Mill" loop end an Aristocraft point that has lost its throw mechanism will be used.
Points Mill Loop.JPG
Testing revealed that the locos that run on this line will push through the R1 points and set them with no issue, testing for the Aristcraft will follow. This configuration forces the trains to go around the loops in one direction on the first run and in the opposite direction on the second run.
Points Farm Loop.JPG

The track has been laid on shade cloth which will allow water drainage and prevent the ballast from falling through the holes in the cable tray.
Track on Tray.JPG

"Farms" Loop
Farms loop w-track.JPG

Looking down the "Mill" run.
Mill Run w-track.JPG

Work will continue on the Mill Loop once this has stopped producing tomatoes (one plant that grew out of the compost put under the mill area support). In the picture above the passionfruit vine from next door has taken over the upper loop, my biggest problem seems to be keeping the garden out of the garden railway.
P1060521.JPG