Ringbalin Light Railway

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
Though not sure what the real thing actually looks like, from the photos I have seen this seems very realistic :)

To get an idea of the real thing, think of bamboo that has just gone through a very intense fire which has burned off all the leave and just left the stalks which is the look I going for with the weathering.

This will give you some idea of what happened prior to hand cutting, australian sugar cane fires - Bing images

The thinking behind it was to kill the vermin and disease (weile's disease) so the cutters weren't affected this was a big concern in the early days.

Later on the cane was cut by mechanical harvester (harvester pictures on this page as well as some cane trains) but there were still people on the ground, nowadays the cane is cut "green" with no fire involved.

In fact the last cane fires were lit here this cutting seasons from now on there will be none, bit of a pity because tourists used to flock to see them.

There were impressive, burned fast with an intense heat. I lit a number back in the day and believe me once they got going they burned faster than any bush/wild fire I have ever seen.

Benco

Registered
22 May 2020
UK
Only things missing are a few cane toads and the rum distillery.

GAP

Only things missing are a few cane toads and the rum distillery.
Going to put a distillery right next to the sugar mill when I build it same as the real thing.
The toads don't get a look in at all, all they are good for is golf shot practice.

Reactions: 1 user

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Nice job on the loco, wagons and the weathering, but could do with some flames in the background. Preferably not your house!:)

GAP

Nice job on the loco, wagons and the weathering, but could do with some flames in the background. Preferably not your house!:)
Now you've done it.
You mentioned flames and I am thinking about that as a scene when I run at twilight/night
Something like a row of superbright LEDs shining up through some coloured material and a couple of fans to give movement
Bit like this
s-l300.jpeg
FFA2577_3.jpeg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Now you've done it.
You mentioned flames and I am thinking about that as a scene when I run at twilight/night
Something like a row of superbright LEDs shining up through some coloured material and a couple of fans to give movement
Bit like this
View attachment 278795
View attachment 278796
That will work, when we were allowed to Dance at my local Jive Club every 2 months they had a Fure and Ice night with just such devices and very effective they were too. But probably only at dusk or night.

GAP

Can you you get sweetened smoke oil? :wondering::rolleyes:
In Aust there are shops called "Dusk" that sell all sorts of scented "essential" oils for vapour machines (diffusers) so there is probably one.
Sugar cane fires did not smell sweet they are just a grass (the lawn type not the other :devil::devil:) fire so smelled more like burned leaves.
I have even looked it the mister in the diffusers as an alternative to heating oil for smoke, they are just a vibrating device that turns water into mist and uses a small fan to blow it out a sort of chimney.

GAP

GAP

GAP

Harking back to to post #40 about climbing plants where I live.
This is what happens when the neighbours kid decides he does not want fruit salad with passion fruit in it and chucks it in the garden next to the back fence.
This is 3 weeks growth.

P1060290.JPG

P1060291.JPG

But there is an up side we have 27 of these on our side of the fence.
P1060292.JPG

I have planted 4 triffids on the other fence and they have reached over the upper track level (1.5 Metres) in 2 weeks.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Harking back to to post #40 about climbing plants where I live.
This is what happens when the neighbours kid decides he does not want fruit salad with passion fruit in it and chucks it in the garden next to the back fence.
This is 3 weeks growth.

View attachment 280438

View attachment 280439

But there is an up side we have 27 of these on our side of the fence.
View attachment 280440

I have planted 4 triffids on the other fence and they have reached over the upper track level (1.5 Metres) in 2 weeks.
But will you be able eat the fruit?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Love passion fruit but not so sure that I would like the hard work that comes with looking after the plants. Slow grow suits me but does take a while to get the effect you want.

GAP

Love passion fruit but not so sure that I would like the hard work that comes with looking after the plants. Slow grow suits me but does take a while to get the effect you want.
You are in the wrong place when it come to growing passion fruit, they are not hard work unless you take into account controlling them and slow grow is not in their vocabulary here in Aust.
But then again I do not get stone fruit unless I pay top dollar so horses for courses.