Ringbalin Light Railway

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Were I am most available climbers have a tendency of turning into Triffids and take over everything, thus making a trimming job that is almost never ending for nearly 9 months of the year.
I knew much of Oz fauna is perilous; sorry to hear the flora is dangerous, too :oops:

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
6 new "Whole Stick" wagons have just rolled out of the Ringbalin Light Railway workshop and have had their first test run which went well.

Enjoy these wagons in their current new state because after a cane cutting season out in the paddocks they will not look all that pretty.

P1060120.JPG P1060121.JPG P1060122.JPG

GAP

Did a little bit of scenery on the upper loop from where it starts its climb to the end of the bridge.
I glued a fibre cement backing, using liquid nails landscape to the edge of the steel roadbed, then covered it with acrylic house render coloured with a "sandstone" oxide.
Once it is completely dry I will look at applying a black acrylic paint wash to highlight the texture.

Fibro Backing.JPG

Fibro Backing 1.JPG

Render installed.JPG

Render installed 1.JPG

Render installed 2.JPG

Two large bean bags!
Works as follows....
Place bean bags strategically over approach tracks.
Remove bridge
Bean bags now absorb forward momentum of any approaching trains effectively catching them.

Yes it's crude and cheap, but it definitely works and more importantly, it protects precious stock whilst you can think of a more permanent solution!

Dave

GAP

This is an idea I am toying with to add a sort of backdrop to the line.
It is artificial turf and as there is only about 200-300mm between the line and the edge I want something to catch a train if it derails so it doesn't drop the 900mm to the ground.

The 2 lines in the foreground are the proposed railway station area.

P1060134.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
This is an idea I am toying with to add a sort of backdrop to the line.
It is artificial turf and as there is only about 200-300mm between the line and the edge I want something to catch a train if it derails so it doesn't drop the 900mm to the ground.

The 2 lines in the foreground are the proposed railway station area.

View attachment 276913
Makes a nice natural edge to the line, have done something similar in a Station but I like the concept of a possible derailment catcher and may try it in some vulnerable area’s. Just need some more from BnQ.

GAP

As luck would have it I ended up with a piece of treated fence paling that curved in the heat we have had the past few days 33-34C.

So I took the opportunity to experiment with a support for the back drop around the curve, I intend to put a wire mesh frame work between the timber and the track and lay the turf over that. Any lumps and bumps can be cut out or just left to add to the impression of a hillside.

Steel uprights will be cut off level with the top of the timber.

Turf timber backing.JPG

Turf timber backing 1.JPG

Turf timber backing 2.JPG

GAP

For those who have no idea of what I am talking about when I say "whole stick wagons" this picture is from a local sugar mill marshalling area dated 1905, the wagons are what I am talking about.
The cane was all cut by hand in those days now it is done by machines known as harvesters.

Whole stick wagons Qunaba Mills.jpg

GAP

The artificial turf bank has been completed.

I put down a wire netting frame for the turf to sit on.

Wire netting frame.JPG

Wire netting close up.JPG

The turf was laid over the top of the timber and stapled to it the bottom is just held in by the weight of the turf, I did not glue it down so that water can drain through.

Turf Back Drop and Render Bank.JPG

Turf Backdrop bank.JPG

I did a clearance trail with my widest loco (a Bachmann "Connie") and wagon and the loco only just brushes the turf in the narrowest place so I am happy the clearance will not be a problem. If it does become an issue I will trim the turf with scissors.

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
The artificial turf bank has been completed.

I put down a wire netting frame for the turf to sit on.

View attachment 277002

View attachment 277001

The turf was laid over the top of the timber and stapled to it the bottom is just held in by the weight of the turf, I did not glue it down so that water can drain through.

View attachment 276999

View attachment 277000

I did a clearance trail with my widest loco (a Bachmann "Connie") and wagon and the loco only just brushes the turf in the narrowest place so I am happy the clearance will not be a problem. If it does become an issue I will trim the turf with scissors.
Those off cuts can come in useful in small places like the joint in the v of a point, also the tufts can be grouped up and housed in places to make odd tuftsof grass. Very useful stuff and everlasting in the Garden.

GAP

Those off cuts can come in useful in small places like the joint in the v of a point, also the tufts can be grouped up and housed in places to make odd tuftsof grass. Very useful stuff and everlasting in the Garden.

If you are talking about the bits in the background they are left overs from a landscape job around the swimming pool in my front yard, they are really quite large, in fact I use only one to do all the the backdrop. I still have a big storage tub of offcuts as well.

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
So lots of bits to use all over in many differing and small places as well. I have used some on my line having asked for the offcuts when next door had his former lawn converted. Almost used the lot now so may be looking at some short bits from a local DIY store if I decide to emulate your solution. Some bits cut to 1 inch strips to mark the edge of a back-scene indoors and to separate a road from the railway.
If you are talking about the bits in the background they are left overs from a landscape job around the swimming pool in my front yard, they are really quite large, in fact I use only one to do all the the backdrop. I still have a big storage tub of offcuts as well.

GAP

The upper loop is now complete and operational, compliance tests were carried out with a train completing 4 circuits with no issues.
As a result a certificate of compliance has been issued.

My Blog has been updated and a "scenery" page will be produced in the fullness of time.

Pictures of the testing.

Train on lower incline.JPG

Train on upper incline.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

GAP

It took a while but the Stainz to Cane Tank Engine conversion is close enough to call complete, just needs a few finishing touches like coal in the bunker some non slip plating in front of the tanks and exhaust piping to the smoke box.
As luck would have it, the coupler height of the Stainz shunting device (do not know the correct name) is the same height as the whole stick wagons.

A Couple of pictures to whet the appetite till the blog gets an update; it will have all the details about the bash and the control and sound functions..

This is the inspiration, cane loco in Ipswich Railway Workshop Museum
Cane loco and whole stick wagon in museum.jpg

My production
Cane Loco with Whole Stick Wagon Rear View.JPG

Side view of train sitting on High Trestle
Cane Loco on Trestle Side view.JPG

Attachments

• Cane Loco SideView.JPG
    Cane Loco SideView.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user