Ringbalin Light Railway

GAP

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Whilst a catch-point would protect the 'drop'.. Where would the 'caught' loco end-up?

I could see a track-powered loco coming to a stop on the ballast. - Suitable fence to edge of base-board(s).. But a battery / steam loco will just keep going.
You need to physically catch / restrain a still-moving loco? :(:wondering:

Which is why I am considering a barrier in the middle of the track or across it to stop the loco leaving it on the tracks with wheels spinning.
Still thinking about this problem.

Fezwig

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
How about a plate across the end of the track, spring loaded, that is pushed down (in to a slot?) when the bridge is lowed and returns up as the bridge is raised?

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Stage 3 of the railway has been started.
The first task was concreting in the posts that will hold the track baseboards for the upper and lower loop tracks the front ones were trimmed to the correct height but the rear ones were left at a longer length so that the risers for the loop that will go back up can be mounted.
This area is where the planned "town/industrial will be situated with a few sidings to provide some shunting interest included.
It was envisaged that a Helix/Spiral track to take the loop that "came down" in stage 1 back up to the upper level would be needed but it is not required because when measurements were taken of the whole track length v the rise and calculations made, the grade is between 3 and 3.5% which will not be a problem for the locos.
I will finish the lower loop first so I can run a train continuously, while I build the other loop, sidings will be added later.

Some pictures of the progress so far, the blog will be updated in due course.

Stage 3 from Stage 2.JPG

Frame work close up back corner.JPG

Frame work close up shed corner.JPG

Jasper

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Following with interest.....

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
The framework for Stage 3 has been built.
The white string shows the path the second loop will follow to get back up to where it started all those months ago.
Across front of shed.JPG
Across the front of the shed

Looking from shed toward corner.JPG
Looking toward high trestle corner from shed door

Looking from Stage 2.JPG

Looking from end of Stage 2 toward shed

Blog has been updated with more pictures and a description

Chris Vernell

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
I notice some metal posts. Is that to give the termites some variety in their diet? :wondering:

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
I notice some metal posts. Is that to give the termites some variety in their diet? :wondering:

The metal is what is known as "C" purlins used to make roof trusses. Yes this is a big termite area but they were from my previous layout so I recycled them.
Coincidentally they are slightly over 45 mm wide so made very strong road bed. I laid them on top of bricks sitting on the ground.

Couple of pictures of previous layout showing the purlins in place.
27-12-2016 _10_.JPG 27-12-2016 _3_.JPG

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Why was the girls favourite professional a banker?
Because he said 'if you pull it out you will lose interest' Boom Boom !!!!! :eek::eek::eek:
I read these to posts together, and I thought I'm not sure what's funnier, the actual joke or the joke with Chris's comments after. Perhaps it's just me

Jasper

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
The baseboards for the Lower Loop running through Stage 3 have been installed, this now allows me to lay track to complete the Lower Loop so I can run a train continuously.
Once they are painted track laying can commence.

Stage 3 baseboards toward back corner.JPG Stage 3 baseboards toward side fence.JPG Stage3 baseboard toward back fence.JPG

More information on my blog.

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I have gone back, but have not found what the sheet-material you are using is? - It looks like plywood?? What is your climate like there?
Thanks,
PhilP.

Chris Vernell

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
I have gone back, but have not found what the sheet-material you are using is? - It looks like plywood?? What is your climate like there?
Thanks,
PhilP.
Subtropical, as opposed to our Subarctic

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Thanks,
PhilP.

Sorry for the late reply the sheet material is a fibre cement shower lining material ( aka Villaboard in Aust).

The climate is sub-Tropical a cold mid winters day is around 7-9C overnight and around high teens during the day, summer daytime temps up in the 30C+ range with overnight in the mid 20C.

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
It's been a while as I had to wait till my shoulder recovered from an overuse injury (SWMBO keeps banging on about old age) but I have now started taking the upper level, line that came down via the "High" trestle back up "Uphill" to where it started.

To save timber I cut a steel C purlin so it formed a ramp of sorts that carries the track up to a point where it curves and rises up to a bridge which after it crosses will again curve and rise till it gets back to the Upper Level.

I had to join 2 pieces of track part way through the curve and to stop a kink at the joint I soldered the joiners in place to give added strength (I have used this method in HO and it worked well).

I have some artificial turf offcuts and I have placed a piece against the "ramp" to hide it, I will contemplate using more if I can work it into the scenery.

At the moment all components have been "roughed in".

Pictures explain it better than I can, and as usual the blog will be updated in due course.

Ramp rough in with track lengthwise.JPG

Curve to bridge from bridge.JPG

Bridge lengthwise.JPG

Solder Joint.JPG

Turf concept trial.JPG

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
The upper loop track is now continuous.

All that has to be done before I run a train is to put fibre cement baseboards under the track so that I can add scenery and catch any train that derails.
For the vertical scenery I am experimenting with using coloured acrylic house render over a shade cloth mesh base.

P1060096.JPG

P1060097.JPG

P1060098.JPG

Blog has been updated

I have also commenced adding a passing siding so I can run trains both ways I plan on making the siding a station/freight area.
There is also a spur that will run off the lower level and behind the scenery so that I can load trains it is planned to eventually run it into the shed and under the HO layout for storage tracks.

To hide the fence I am looking at some artificial ivy that comes in 3Metre rolls that I can nail onto it. I was going to try a Rembrandt style landscape but the skill is just not there.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Another option I have seen recently is to use square mesh as a climber for plants. Nit sure how that may work in your neck of the woods but I am certainly thinking about it for a couple of fence panels worth in my garden.

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Were I am most available climbers have a tendency of turning into Triffids and take over everything, thus making a trimming job that is almost never ending for nearly 9 months of the year.