Ringbalin Light Railway

GAP

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
I have written a blog about my railways and posted pictures of the progress made.

I called them The Ringbalin Light Railway, G & HO divisions.

I have every intention to keep it up to date as I do things on them

Link to the blog is here if anybody is interested:

Some pictures on here as work continues.

GAP

GAP

Work has progressed on my layout and I have updated my Blog to show the progress I have made.

Some pictures of the latest work to whet the appetite.

Downhill Side View Original.JPG
Original 5% downhill grade

Downhill Side View Extended.JPG
Extended downhill grade to get 4%

Downhill Length Extended.JPG
Looking along back towards High Trestle

Benchwork with Bents roughed in.jpg
Lowered track base to allow a rocky creek bed/gully to be created which will be crossed by a low trestle bridge (a couple of bents roughed in to get an idea)

Meadow at end of Low Trestle.jpg
A "meadow/paddock" area to be built under half of trestle and forming a bank for the gully

Reactions: 1 users
GAP

GAP

Thanks to be isolated a large amount of progress has been made on the layout.
Track has been secured to both trestles and some scenery underneath has been completed.

Trestles w-scenery.JPG

Trestles w-scenery _2_.JPG

Trestles w-scenery _3_.JPG

Rocky gully and paddock.JPG

I am still contemplating an edge on the high trestle, I am now leaning toward leaving the front as it is and putting a walkway and safety rail at the back.

Reactions: 1 user
GAP

GAP

More work has been done as well on the laying of baseboards along the back fence and level change down the side fence.
I am trying to think of a way to disguise the face of the angle from the upper to the lower levels and also under the silver bridge. I am thinking of a rocky cliff face/ cutting face to hide the baseboard supports down the side fence any other suggestions/ideas most welcome.

Baseboard back fence.JPG

Baseboard down hill side fence _2_.JPG

Baseboard down hill side fence.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
GAP

GAP

Work has progressed on the construction of Stage 1; track has been laid and it is at a position where it can be now described as complete.

P1050577.JPG

P1050588.JPG

Some testing was carried out and my widest loco passed over the high trestle (my biggest worry) with no problems at all in fact trains passed over both trestles with no issues at all.

P1050584.JPG

P1050587.JPG

Meanwhile while all the testing was being conducted a drama was unfolding between the trestles.

Drama under the trestle.JPG

And Skippy looked on.

Skippy watches on.JPG

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Tut-tut-tut! .. Tut-tut .. Tut, tut. Tut-tut..

"What's that skippy? A wild animal is attacking the sheep, by the big trestle".. :eek:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Haha
Jasper

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
I am trying to think of a way to disguise the face of the angle from the upper to the lower levels and also under the silver bridge. I am thinking of a rocky cliff face/ cutting face to hide the baseboard supports down the side fence any other suggestions/ideas most welcome.
Another idea would be to have the Low Line run through a city, possibly with on-street running, with a "backdrop" of tall buildings. The buildings could be just "flats" meaning they consist only of fronts. Seeing a train on the High Line "pop up" here and there between the tall buildings, would be entirely prototypical.

Last edited:
GAP

GAP

I have built the opening for the lift up bridge so that will be the next project under taken.
P1050731.JPG

I also did a bit of landscaping around the railway and the firepit area.
I now have the edges of pathways that will follow the track boards so that I can follow a train right round the layout with out walking over garden beds.
I intend to landscape, with mulch and bushes, the whole inside loop area so as to eliminate mowing.

P1050732.JPG

P1050733.JPG

More pictures and a description are on my blog

GAP

GAP

Half of the lift up bridge is finished.
I have built one rail deck for the outer loop and will duplicate it for the inner loop.
Lift up bridge lengthwise.jpg
Once both decks are working I will put more structure between them so that thy both open together.

On the hinge end I have soldered in a" Gauge Plate" to hold the rails at the correct spacing. (The melted sleeper will be replaced for aesthetics only as it does not do any thing to hold the rails apart.)

Gauge plate on bridge end.jpg

On the opening end "Hillmans" liftout bridge clamps will provide the alignment for the rails.
Hillmans Bridge Clamps.jpg

I have made the whole thing out of aluminium box section and angle instead of the originally planned hardwood to keep the weight down so SWMBO can lift it with ease. The local hardware store has 1Metre lengths at a price that is comparable to hardwood which made the job a lot easier.
A piece of galvanised steel (on left in picture below) is used to extend the hinge tongue to provide better attachment for the deck and give some extra rigidity around the hinge.

Bridge Deck Components.jpg

My blog with more details and pictures will be updated in due course.

GAP

GAP

Been a busy morning the second bridge deck has now been completed just a bit of tweeking to do and then its on to building the joining beams so that they become one structure.
Finished just before rain washed out play for the day.

Twin Decks from hinge side.jpg

Twin Decks Lengthwise.jpg

Twin Decks Side View.jpg

More pictures and description on my blog

Last edited:
  • Love
GAP

GAP

The lift up bridge is finished!!!
From a concept put forth by Korm Kormsen who sometimes frequents this forum of putting the hinge under the track, as opposed to the convention of having the hinge joint above the track, to the finished thing has been a Ben Hur type production.
Trains can now cross the entrance to the firepit area with no problems.
Bridge non hinge end is located by using "Hillmans" lift out bridge clamps.
All that need to be done is to design and manufacture a safety device that stops trains from running off the edge when the bridge is open, I use battery power so breaking the track circuit does not apply, some form of physical barrier will be required possibly even a catch point.

More thought on the safety device is required, any suggestions folks???

Bridge Side View toward house.jpg

Bridge lengthwise 1.jpg

Train on bridge.jpg

Hillmans clamps close up 1.jpg

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Hm you have hit on one of the big issues for both Battery and Live Steam guys, how to protect that bridge gap when opened. Most sorts of barriers can be an issue possibly plummeting your pride and joy to the ground. The lift up protects one side, but you have gone away from that concept. My thinking goes along the lines of a plug that slots into your controller thus making it work, plug stored below the bridge and not accessible when dropped Or at least trickier to access. Of course the real thing would rely on Signals and Catch Points again not able to be set to line clear when the bridge has drooped or lifted.

GAP

GAP

Hm you have hit on one of the big issues for both Battery and Live Steam guys, how to protect that bridge gap when opened. Most sorts of barriers can be an issue possibly plummeting your pride and joy to the ground. The lift up protects one side, but you have gone away from that concept. My thinking goes along the lines of a plug that slots into your controller thus making it work, plug stored below the bridge and not accessible when dropped Or at least trickier to access. Of course the real thing would rely on Signals and Catch Points again not able to be set to line clear when the bridge has drooped or lifted.

The lift up still protects the hinge side its on the non hinge side where the danger lies.
Possibly some sort of physical barrier further up the approaches that comes up then the bridge is open.
A mechanical device over an electrical one would be the preferred method.
Catchpoint that is held closed by the bridge weight and opens when the weight is removed????

Jasper

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Possibly some sort of physical barrier further up the approaches that comes up then the bridge is open.
A mechanical device over an electrical one would be the preferred method.
Catchpoint that is held closed by the bridge weight and opens when the weight is removed????
As to that: what is the weight? I remember you saying somewhere it should be light, so SWMBO can easily lift it.

GAP

GAP

As to that: what is the weight? I remember you saying somewhere it should be light, so SWMBO can easily lift it.

Do not know the weight of the whole structure but when the open end is sitting on a set of bathroom scales they indicate between 2.5 and 3.5Kg depending in where the bridge is touching.
User trials with SWMBO have been conducted and she can open it easily, so it is now classed as fit for purpose and approved for use. :)

Jasper

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Do not know the weight of the whole structure but when the open end is sitting on a set of bathroom scales they indicate between 2.5 and 3.5Kg depending in where the bridge is touching.
That seems plenty for a catch point to be held closed by the bridge weight.

User trials with SWMBO have been conducted and she can open it easily, so it is now classed as fit for purpose and approved for use. :)
:clap:

GAP

GAP

I have updated my blog about the construction of the railway so that it now reflects where it is at.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Just a thought, no idea on how to implement it though.
How about a sprung sliding barrier that is pushed out of the way when the bridge is closed, but springs across when it's open

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Been thinking a little about Paul’s thinking, sorry for crudeness of sketch but concept is that a Bell Crank is used to push the gate across the track when bridge is lifted. When bridge is dropped a spring or weight pulls the bell crank down converting the movement to push the gate over the track. Note that the rod from the gate and the gates itself act as another bellcrank. This will probably be quite a constriction so all the overeating parts should be below baseboard level out of site with just the gate visible. Should be possible to rig something similar both sides of the bridge.

F35FA417-6D45-44BE-997B-789E39DE3828.jpeg

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Whilst a catch-point would protect the 'drop'.. Where would the 'caught' loco end-up?

I could see a track-powered loco coming to a stop on the ballast. - Suitable fence to edge of base-board(s).. But a battery / steam loco will just keep going.
You need to physically catch / restrain a still-moving loco? :(:wondering: