RTM tramways

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
I was intrigued by your 'Elephant Trails' reference and the way each sheep steps on exactly the same path as it's predecessor for weeks in a row and how they 'smell out' the trail and create the little 'sidings'.

Maybe new name for your layout should be Elephant Trail Tramways? After all, the tiny trains all follow each other on an identical trail. Maybe they can smell out the electrons on the track and they create sidings as well! It could be an homage to LGB, since they used to show an elephant trail picture in their catalogues: -

IMG_0182.JPG

;)

Reactions: 1 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Just back from a few days off the internet and things are looking good again on your tramway.

Reactions: 1 user

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Now that is an idea!!!! It certainly does make sense! Hmmmm...

I did not know LGB used an elephant in advertising. I knew about Tonka!

No trouble Henri. They call your "Elephant Trails" by the very old name of 'Sheep Trods" in much of Northern England. Here's a picture so you can see if they are the same as those in the Netherlands ..

IMG_0183.JPG

Some are very old and deep and I think that they were even referred to by Shakespeare. So you could even use the name Sheep Trod Tramways. That gives it a good sound literary connection and avoids any unfortunate literary association with "Elephant Trails".

But I bet you knew that ;).

Last edited:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Don't let the rabbits near them - yew is poisonous.

Trammayo surely you can entertain with an illustrated example of the morbid consequences of yew? ;)

Henri did you know that they used to keep the yew in walled English churchyards to stop the stock from nibbling it, but I think it was more likely to preserve their shape to allow better cropping for longbows.

In our garden the roe deer freely graze the yew, so much so that there is a nice neat line at deer stretch height that ruins their shape and drives the head gardener wild. Nevertheless the deer seem to thrive.

You do realise that yew can make some significant growth and is more used as a hedging material In larger gardens and can grow much more than you might anticipate.

IMG_0187.JPG

You might need a bigger head trimmer ;).

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Trammayo surely you can entertain with an illustrated example of the morbid consequences of yew? ;)

Henri did you know that they used to keep the yew in walled English churchyards to stop the stock from nibbling it, but I think it was more likely to preserve their shape to allow better cropping for longbows.

In our garden the roe deer freely graze the yew, so much so that there is a nice neat line at deer stretch height that ruins their shape and drives the head gardener wild. Nevertheless the deer seem to thrive.

You do realise that yew can make some significant growth and is more used as a hedging material In larger gardens and can grow much more than you might anticipate.

View attachment 224017

You might need a bigger head trimmer ;).

Me entertain? I have heard people say "You ought to be on the stage - the next one out of town!".

Maigh Eo (Mayo) - the plain of the yew

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday I poured concrete for the foundation of the sawmill. I hope it is level... :sweating:
Did all the preparation but when actually working with the concrete, space to move around was so limited....

Ah well... We'll see how it turnes out!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
In theory, liquids, which concrete is sort of, will always adjust to the horizontal.

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I had the same theory when working in the cramped space (trying not to destroy other work recently done...), but it wasn't quite 'that' liquid... ;-)

And of course I was not 'dressed to the occasion' and SWMBO was watching, although pretending reading a book, all my moves... The night before I already had ruined a perfectly good shirt by tearing it to a lost nail in the fence... Haven't we all been there...

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
And have you checked the concrete to see whether any wildlife was watching you, ready to walk across your newly laid cement a soon as your back was turned?

Reactions: 2 users
D

Deleted member 1986

Reactions: 2 users

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Is that your layout, Aardvark? :)

Last edited: