(RhB) Sersa P10119 Engineering Van (LGB Kitbash)

Parkdesigner

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Los Angeles, CA / Derbyshire, UK / Frankfurt, DE
Best answers
Country flag
Well - it's been some time! And, sadly, there has been only a small amount movement on this project. Nevertheless, I wanted to share.

Last autumn I ordered these on eBay.co.uk and have them sent to a friends house in the midlands.
I figured they'd be a good size to represent the safety placards on the sides of my Sersa van.
They claimed to be vinyl prints and weatherproof so that was encouraging.

Then with Omicron, I never got back over the pond at the Holidays to pick them up, and so they just made their way here with me last week after my recent trip to Europe.

At first glance they seemed good. Not a cheap purchase, and there was only one sheet per package, but a good size to work with spur IIm equipment.

1.jpg

So out came the Xacto and the sheet was attacked!

2.jpg

I removed the small section of the placards, then trimmed them individually.

3.jpg

Usually I would frown on stickers, especially vinyl ones, for modeling as they tend to have (to my eye) a pronounced ridge on their edges... so using them to represent paint and lettering has never appealed to me. That said, given these are dimensional placards on the prototype, having a small amount of edge to each is actually useful here!

A pair of tweezers, knife, and steady hands was all it took to place the four appropriate signs on the side of the car.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Now it was rinse and repeat with the opposite side!

While I was at it, I noticed in my reference photos there was some safety and warning verbiage on the side of the canister cabinet, so I pulled something from the sticker sheet that looked appropriate and added it to the model as well.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Still lots to do in terms of lettering, numbering, and all the Sersa logos, but I feel this was a nice little half-step in continuing the build.

(Next up - I gave up trying to bash the lift arms after 18 months of searching for suitable parts to start from, so I'll be 3D printing (resin) the arms this summer. Hopefully I will complete the build by September!)

Cheers,
Josh