Returning to the Current Topic After Posting a Reply

3Valve

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
www.shlr.org.uk
Now then folks.  I`ve seen quite a few comments about how you return back to the forum menu after posting replies on a topic then have to navigate your way back again.

Well here`s how to prevent that.

When you post your reply, open the Attachments and other options area by click on the "+" symbol.

Then select the "Return to this Topic Option", et voila, when you post you return to the actual thread you posted on.

Image below shows the options you need to select outlined in red

55799_2234512ecbb642adef727614f6d8d9f1.jpg

muns

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
You should be able to set this as a default option.  Check out your profile.....under "Forum profile", "look and layout"

55800_23b187d0ac9a4fead4cba7994f1acdb7.jpg

3Valve

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
www.shlr.org.uk
The selections you need to make to get into the "Look and Layout" section are highlighted in red below.

55801_8198992f04901bbf49ae60529f2b9d17.jpg

mike

mike

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.lazygrangebay.co.uk
learning as we go.. tagarath ..just set it :-[

Gizzy

Gizzy

Railways, Aviation, Caravanning....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Thanks chaps,

I've ticked the relevant box....

Beddhist

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
When I sign up to a new forum I usually head towards the profile section sooner rather than later. I look at all the options shown and choose what suits me. Since we are all on a new forum now... 8)

trammayo

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Well thanks for the guide - I used it and it works !!!!

Not all things are obvious to all people. Whilst I'd gone into PROFILE and changed my password and some other details, I wasn't aware of all these subsections.

I never (well hardly) read the instructions - last resort - but, then again, there weren't any until now for me to ignore!

Feeling a lot happier now!

PaulRhB

PaulRhB

Registered
While the genius is burning brightly is there a way to stop the cookies acceptance from coming up every time you open the site? Most forums only show it when you log in but not when the pc remembered login happens. GSC seems to count both as a full login and trying to hit that tiny OK on the phone means I've seen the more details page far too often ;)

bobg

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
At least two others of us are having this problem, Ross and myself. It does it on both my 'puters, so I suspect there are many more members out there who are saying nowt.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Ditto..
Was OK for a time..
Now appears each time I logon to the Forum, even if it is same day as I tend to set it to 'one hour'.

Winders 7 and IE 11 if that helps?

trammayo

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
My login is set 'forever' - and, if I log out and back in again, I just type in my user name (my password is saved) and don't have any cookie problems or pop-ups. The latter because I use the ad blocker suggested on this Forum.

Even though I frequently clean the files there still isn't a problem.

I use XP and Firefox, with Avast for security.

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I do not know whether it is something 'latent' from a previous version of IE, a change to the way cookies are generated/detected by the forum software, or what..
Just have to click 'OK' a few times a day.. Fairly easy on a PC, but I can see it could be awkward on a smartphone.

trammayo

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Why not try setting your log-in duration to "Forever" - it allows me to log in and out without any problems. I stopped using IE a few years ago as I was told Firefox would make better use of the low Broadband speed I suffer sometimes.

But I'll say this - I haven't a clue otherwise!

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Paranoia probably!! ;)

I do not tend to log in to anywhere 'forever'. - Old habits die hard.. Older multi-user systems sometimes did not kill sessions properly. This meant you could connect to said systems, and occasionally get someone else's session.

bobg

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
I'm assured by 'one who knows' that it is a forum software problem.

PaulRhB

PaulRhB

Registered
The only problem really is it`s right next to the `learn more` button and in a smart phone screen its very difficult to hit tiny buttons that close together accurately.
I can`t seem to get the recent posts view on the mobile version so tend to use the full forum.
56550_8267b6a178dadfb0febd1aeefe1faea2.jpg