Replacing a 2 wheel bogie on a Playmobil wagon.

• Thread starter Sarah Winfield
  • Start date
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
I have 3 (including this one) similar wagons.

a) A bright green one marked Playmobil and a number on the chassis 3210220. It has twin bright red buffer heads. This is possibly the newest and heaviest of all 3. (see later note). It has counter balanced hook and loop couplings

The number on the chassis is probaby the mould number. This truck came in a number of RC sets which appeared between 1997 and 2005. The weight i because under the black (or maybe grey) square piece of plastic in the middle of the chassis there is a metal weight.

b) This is a mid-brown coloured one with twin bright red buffer heads. The body is marked SNCF on one side panel. On the underneath, on the chassis it says Playmobil and the number 3172621. This one is lighter than a) possibly due to not having a large plastic piece on its chassis.. The hook coupling has a plastic spring and when the wagon arrived this spring had been broken. I have effected a repair.

This truck appeared in a number of the track-powered sets and also sold separately between 1980/81 and 1994. Playmobil provided sheets of stickers with some sets for different countries's railway systems, hence the SNCF on the side. If the plastic pieces underneath isn't there, then the weight held in place by the plastic piece won't be there, hence the lighter weight.

c) This is the one which began this topic. The main body colour is a dark brown. The main side and end panels don't fit flush with the floor. It has just a central red, but painted black buffer head. There is no number on the chassis. On both side panels it says "No6" and on both sides of the chassis it says "LOAD 6 TONS". The chassis doesn't have the large plastic piece so it is lighter than a). I bought it knowing one end panel was missing which is on order and maybe waiting to be delivered.
It is possible it has had a re-spray as the plastic showing through is the same colour as b). I think the countered hook coupling will operate if the buffer is removed.

The body has been repainted and this probaby explains why the end and side panel don't fit properly. If you remove the paint, they should fit. The figures and lettering are owner additions.

SW
As I mentioned in an earlier post, for a few pounds you can replace the chassis and buffers and I'd be happy to help you in that.

The presence or lack of weight under the chassis isn't all that important unless your track is particularly uneven. The weight is more important with the higher vbehicles such as the carriages and the tankers.

S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Managed to pick up another wagon of the same type at a reasonable price (I think).

Once I get the couplings all sorted I might have a consist that doesn't suddenly become a con.......sist!

SW

Last edited:
-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
The chassis doesn't have the large plastic piece so it is lighter than a).
I think the plastic piece you speak of is what holds a metal weight.

-edit: oops, I didn't see that this was already answered.

T

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
....... The presence or lack of weight under the chassis isn't all that important unless your track is particularly uneven ......
The real importance of the weight is to prevent the wheel flanges climbing the rails when operating the train with a long consist through tight bends.

James Day

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
It is good to see that so much PM is out there being loved in so many ways, by people with so many different interests, from people who want to collect it, run it, adapt it, repair and restore it.

I tend to agree with the other comments about buffers. The PM Wagon/Coach chassis was universal to every stock item made from 1980 until production ended a cople of years ago, with just two exceptions The Panorama Express bogie coach and the truly awful centre car for the Mk1 RCE, which is frankly best forgotten.

It always had two buffers at each end and was usually moulded in black, but can turn up in red, yellow and dark grey. Never seen a 'knock off' of any Playmobil trains items, mainly I guess because of the accuracy required in the mouldings for the interchange of standard parts that make up the range to be used in various combinations for different models. There has been a little 3d printing of really hard to find bits and even some copy moulding too, but nothing of this size - yet!

As we know the couplings changed from a flat plastic spring type to a weighted hook in the late 90s and that meant that the bogie moulding needed changing to accommodate it. The shape of the loop has been tweaked over the years and a lip has been added to give more buffing area when reversing. They are fully interchageable with the earliest to the most recent production.

Also for some totally unexplained reason around 2012? the central weight on the wagon/coach chassis was moved off centre. Still don't understand that.....

For me the most amazing thing is that parts made right at the end of the range are fully compatible with those made at the start. So if Sarah bought a trashed dark blue coach from 1980 she could almost certainly salvage the chassis to make good her RC era flat, or as Gordon suggests, just buy the parts from the remaining stocks that PM themselves have and fix it that way.

Although production has sadly ceased, I reckon that PM trains are going to be around for a very long time to come!

James

S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Nice informative post James.

I hope so. I've a few items and hope to buy/collect a few more.

SW

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
It is good to see that so much PM is out there being loved in so many ways, by people with so many different interests, from people who want to collect it, run it, adapt it, repair and restore it.

I tend to agree with the other comments about buffers. The PM Wagon/Coach chassis was universal to every stock item made from 1980 until production ended a cople of years ago, with just two exceptions The Panorama Express bogie coach and the truly awful centre car for the Mk1 RCE, which is frankly best forgotten.

It always had two buffers at each end and was usually moulded in black, but can turn up in red, yellow and dark grey. Never seen a 'knock off' of any Playmobil trains items, mainly I guess because of the accuracy required in the mouldings for the interchange of standard parts that make up the range to be used in various combinations for different models. There has been a little 3d printing of really hard to find bits and even some copy moulding too, but nothing of this size - yet!

As we know the couplings changed from a flat plastic spring type to a weighted hook in the late 90s and that meant that the bogie moulding needed changing to accommodate it. The shape of the loop has been tweaked over the years and a lip has been added to give more buffing area when reversing. They are fully interchageable with the earliest to the most recent production.

Also for some totally unexplained reason around 2012? the central weight on the wagon/coach chassis was moved off centre. Still don't understand that.....

For me the most amazing thing is that parts made right at the end of the range are fully compatible with those made at the start. So if Sarah bought a trashed dark blue coach from 1980 she could almost certainly salvage the chassis to make good her RC era flat, or as Gordon suggests, just buy the parts from the remaining stocks that PM themselves have and fix it that way.

Although production has sadly ceased, I reckon that PM trains are going to be around for a very long time to come!

James
What is probably called "backwards integration" (a concept unknown apparently in the world of computing technology, hence I need a separate old computer so I can still use my excellent 2003 Epson 1660 scanner) has been a key point with Playmobil since it first appeared in 1974. A 1974 figure can hold the same tools etc. as a modern one and a modern figure can hold the original tools etc. from 1974. Changes in hair design has lost compatibility as regards head wear and maybe the older female figures cannot wear the detachable clothing of the modern female "waisted" figures, but that's the only loss in 44 years.