Replacing a 2 wheel bogie on a Playmobil wagon.

• Thread starter Sarah Winfield
  • Start date
S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
A new 2 wheel bogie has just arrived to replace a broken one on a wagon.

There are differences. However, the first thing I have to do is to remove the existing bogie and it is proving quite difficult.

It is secured with a 4 plastic spigot which go inside a hole and then the spigot prevents it falling off. (Probably not the correct terminology, sorry)

The problem I have, apart from the stiffness of the plastic is that I can't squeeze all 4 spigots at the same time. Is there a knack to removing the bogie please?

Thanks,

Sarah Winfield

JimmyB

JimmyB

Learning; but slowly!
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
I don't know the specific item but on this type of removal squeeze one push partially through and "wedge" in place, move on to the second and repeat, then when all are partially pushed out press the whole item out. Not easy a certain knack, however if there is another way for this specific i am sure somebody will be along with details.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
If you are *very* lucky.......
You may be able to use a box-spanner / nut-runner / socket / piece of tubing to push over the 'spigot' ends and squeeze them inwards all at once.

Ralphmp

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
If you are *very* lucky.......
You may be able to use a box-spanner / nut-runner / socket / piece of tubing to push over the 'spigot' ends and squeeze them inwards all at once.
That's a great suggestion Phil - you may have found a use fo the tiny sockets that came as part of a set someone bought me for Christmas many moons ago!

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
It does require a little force.. The end of a piece of tube is *really* a last resort, as it tends to dig-in, and do some damage.. - Don't ask!

Sockets, and the like, are best as they are quite solid and have slightly rounded edges. - Less damage..

S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Done it with plenty of damage! Now found the 2nd problem.

This particular wagon has a single centre buffer. The new bogie which is now fitted has a different design of hook and loop (better in my opinion). However, it must designed for 2 buffer wagons because with the new hook it catches on the centre buffer of a centre buffered wagon. Just another opportunity for me to get enjoy!

SW

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
There is a knack to removing Playmobil bogies and I'll post something on it when I get the chance. However, Sarah, on the question of your wagon, if it has a central buffer as original, then it's not Playmobil and this would explain the problem with getting the new bogie to fit.

S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Ah, that explains things. Everything about the wagon shouts Playmobil although there is no makers name on it anywhere.

So, who manufactured it, do you know please?

Thanks,

SW

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Ah, that explains things. Everything about the wagon shouts Playmobil although there is no makers name on it anywhere. So, who manufactured it, do you know please?
Can you post a picture?

S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Attached are pictures of the wagon. The final picture shows the single buffer and how the new bogie and coupling interfere with it.

SW

Attachments

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Attached are pictures of the wagon. The final picture shows the single buffer and how the new bogie and coupling interfere with it.
SW
It sure does look similar to playmobil.. maybe a knock off? 3d printed? or a prototype? Where did you find it?

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Looks very PMto me as well, thinksomeone has done what I do with mine which is to use 1 of the 2 buffers each end to make a central one. I think to make the conversion work better with the PM Couplings the buffer head needs to be shortened some more. Look at some of my conversion in my "is playmobil toylike' thread.

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Yes, certainly PM, you can see the original colour coming through the repaint on the wagon sides and ends. Jon is right about what has been done. The answer is to get a chassis from PM Direct Service. It would cost £2.85 plus £1 for four buffers, plus postage. If you're not in a hurry. I will be putting in an order in August and could get it for you. If you want to buy it sooner, I can give you the part numbers.

S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
It was won on ebay. I was disappointed when it arrived as one loop was broken, hence me buying a new bogie.

I don't know enough about Playmobil to pass any comments. I was pleased to win it despite the damage.

I can see no evidence that it ever had twin buffers each end.

SW

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
It was won on ebay. I was disappointed when it arrived as one loop was broken, hence me buying a new bogie.

I don't know enough about Playmobil to pass any comments. I was pleased to win it despite the damage.

I can see no evidence that it ever had twin buffers each end.

SW
Neither would you on my PM Conversions.

S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
I must find out more about Playmobil. I've just bought a HD construction excavator for my quarry.

SW

Rich Skuse

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Definitely modified Playmobil. :D I have the same flat car, unaltered. It should look like this although mine is an early one with sprung couplings rather than weighted ones. I have since acquired a dropside con-flat from the City Freight set and it's a much nicer detailed piece although I don't mind too much, mine are all getting painted and weathered at some point! :)

ETA: The Playmobil 'makers mark' is actually embossed into the swivel plate that the axle mounts on, can be hard to spot but AFAIK it's not embossed on the underframes at all.
99852_84f6aace2a254ea716976638c5589a04.jpg

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Defiantly looks like playmobil except the 1 buffer in the center, maybe like suggested a knock off. Can you pull the buffer out of it's socket that might make it runnable, Bill

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
I think the paint might come off without too much trouble, Sarah, and with a new chassis and buffers you'd have a good wagon.

S

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
I have 3 (including this one) similar wagons.

a) A bright green one marked Playmobil and a number on the chassis 3210220. It has twin bright red buffer heads. This is possibly the newest and heaviest of all 3. (see later note). It has counter balanced hook and loop couplings

b) This is a mid-brown coloured one with twin bright red buffer heads. The body is marked SNCF on one side panel. On the underneath, on the chassis it says Playmobil and the number 3172621. This one is lighter than a) possibly due to not having a large plastic piece on its chassis.. The hook coupling has a plastic spring and when the wagon arrived this spring had been broken. I have effected a repair.

c) This is the one which began this topic. The main body colour is a dark brown. The main side and end panels don't fit flush with the floor. It has just a central red, but painted black buffer head. There is no number on the chassis. On both side panels it says "No6" and on both sides of the chassis it says "LOAD 6 TONS". The chassis doesn't have the large plastic piece so it is lighter than a). I bought it knowing one end panel was missing which is on order and maybe waiting to be delivered.
It is possible it has had a re-spray as the plastic showing through is the same colour as b). I think the countered hook coupling will operate if the buffer is removed.

SW