Renovating a Pola depot,finished!?

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Two weeks holiday and found myself at GRS buying a used Pola depot,I have been looking for a replacement for the Green River item that is on the railroad now as the depot at Apache Falls and this fitted the bill.The building was in good condition although very dirty as would be expected after a few years outside,nothing that a 4 hour clean didn`t fix.I managed to get the roof off without any damage apart from a few of the A frame roof supports falling off(dryed out glue)so easily replaced in position,the glazing also came out without any problems to my amazement so new glazing can go in later but some of the windows are stuck and don`t open as also the pedestrian doors but I`m not going to force for obvious reasons,the freight door steps and staging both inside and out still need looking at but are in good condition,a new depot sign has been made and fixed on and needs finishing, the colours for the C&RG railroad structures are sand and brown so a base coat of sand spray and then the brown trim added after by brush,first coat on but second coat needed.The building was in the colours of red weatherboard and white trim so I assume its original status was the Idaho Springs depot after some research.There was a handcart that came with it with some luggage/freight on that will shape up well and the weigh scales from the wall need a repaint and re fix,as for an interior that`s being thought about too,just a few pics of progress so far but the ones I took of the original state have been lost.As a footnote the SW likes the progress and has given me the money for it as part of my Xmas prezzy!!!!:inlove:;);););),It looked in a sad state when I got it home but bringing it back to par.POLA DEPOT 001.jpgPOLA DEPOT 003.jpgPOLA DEPOT 014.jpgPOLA DEPOT 009.jpgPOLA DEPOT 018.jpgPOLA DEPOT 021.jpgPOLA DEPOT 025.jpg

Attachments

• POLA DEPOT 024.jpg
    POLA DEPOT 024.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
what a difference fresh paint makes. Your depot looks great. the brown over the buff gives the brown a nice tone indeed.

like the bucket rack. im going to copy that.

I too, just bought, and received yesterday, a rather ancient pola DRG depot too, shipped 95. US.

It had all the parts, 7 pola drop lights, glued luggage and preiser and other figures, luggage cart, interior desks, stoves , work tables.
It fell to bits in shipping. The pola goose neck lights with the fragile bent plastic curves broke. And, of course, most of the corners came apart, as did the baseplate.

I believe it was used indoors, as it is not bleached or faded, but , to the contrary, has a rather deep , almost caramel tinge to the original depot buff plastic siding, from years of oxidizing, im fairly certain. I like it. close to my others, but distinctive and nice.

I too spent about 6 hours, scrubbing, cleaning, scraping, filing and sanding, regluing, removing glue blobs, unwanted accessories.
It looks much better. no pics, as I don't wish to hijack.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
It's rather satisfying finding something run down and decrepit and giving it a decent renovation or even repurposing. Heck, at the price those Piko/Pola structures cost new it's always worth a go. I have a feeling given your proven skills Rio' that your depot will end up a rather splendid and proud structure.

I'd be tempted with any of these old kits to give them as much of a stripdown back to component form as possible. I get the feeling a lot of people will have built them originally without properly removing the colour washes, that most of them had applied during production, that results in a less than perfect solvent glue bonds and their propensity to self disassemble. Max

P.S. If anybody knows the whereabouts of one of those D&RGW style coaling towers in need of a rebuild................

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
...It looks much better. no pics, as I don't wish to hijack.
I don't think it would be seen as hijacking if you posted pictures of your efforts in line with the thread title.

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
A little more done today,the lettering on the nameboard now picked out in white and I may be able to reuse the old ones from the old depot for each end but not sure what condition they are in until I can check them,the arrival and departure sticker from the front notice board was too far gone to use again so the C&RG letters added and then painted black to resemble a chalk board for train information,the weigh scales have been started,not sure if they were in the kit or an add on but good enough to bring back to life,repainting the dial etc ,another "A" frame roof support fell off this morning so will put back on with the others.Some sub assembly items also started although not posted namely the freight doors and decking both inside and out as they needed a tidy up and repaint.I have tried to take the base plate off but it will damage the building if I do so I may paint over the glue globs to resemble some sort of plant/moss growth around the base and as it`s fixed very well will keep the water out so not a problem;););)DEPOT 3 007.jpgDEPOT 3 004.jpg

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I am thinking this would make a crackin' prototype shed/workshop/control-centre, at 12" to the foot, in the garden!
:think::nerd:

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of days off and a little more done and heading inside,working on one end at a time and starting on the passenger end first,the center partition wall has been fabricated and for the moment can be removed.The fireplace I made using HO paving slab embossed styrene sheet as is near enough the same size as the brickwork on the stack on the roof,it`ll do;) and first coat of brick red applied,paneling to the window line added with dado and skirting using styrene embossed board sheet,painted and will need a tidy up on the paint lines,I have experimented with some paintings for wall decorations,the cactus scene and train are fine but the portrait needs redoing as it didn`t work out as I wanted.Sorry about the pics but taken inside and late at night:rolleyes:;)DEPOT INTERIOR1 008.jpgDEPOT INTERIOR1 001.jpg

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I was not happy with the portrait so painted over and now a little Victorian feel and older looking gentleman looks more the part and another one done also,who they are is a mystery but think possible ex presidents of the railroad or such like, I just need the walls covered and while i was at it touched in the train and cactus too and a couple more needed,once the paint has dried those frames need a tidy up.The first piece of furniture also made as a test for size,the plan is for 2 the same back to back in the center of the floor and depending on space just may have some more seating against some of the walls as low tables and such also planed to go in.portrait 1 002.jpg

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Amazing attention to detail. Very nice.

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Some more done getting the internal wall finished and nearly done,the brickwork on the fireplace now has mortar lines picked out and a form of antique brick painted on,the fire grate was knocked up using some old scraps of styrene rod and the dead fire was made by burning the edges of some scrap balsa then cutting it up and placing in the grate with a little ciggy ash for good measure and sealed in with a drop or two of super glue,now can have some white highlights added to represent ash/burnt wood.Two pictures now up on the wall,gloss varnish added to these to look as if covered by glass,the paint line needs a tidy up then the woodwork will have a coat of satin varnish to finish it all off,then on with the rest of the interior.The square top of the brickwork is a probable support if i decide to put a ceiling in,only a thought at this time as would never be seen as the depot will be at almost ground level.;)INTERIOR WALL 002.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
If anyone "Restoring" a Pola Depot, as is being done in this thread, requires the roof brackets (There are two sizes) a friend of mine made some up for me. He does 3D printing.
He also does unavailable parts for Aristocraft railway equipment.
He has a web page, and you might care to contact him, through his web page at:
www.glxscalemodels.com or at: g.lacroix701@rogers.com

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
If anyone "Restoring" a Pola Depot, as is being done in this thread, requires the roof brackets (There are two sizes) a friend of mine made some up for me. He does 3D printing.
He also does unavailable parts for Aristocraft railway equipment.
He has a web page, and you might care to contact him, through his web page at:
www.glxscalemodels.com or at: g.lacroix701@rogers.com

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Rgd...lovely...and, I thought the first potrait was actually quite good.
great idea, the separating internal wall and chimney.

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Two weeks holiday and found myself at GRS buying a used Pola depot,I have been looking for a replacement for the Green River item that is on the railroad now as the depot at Apache Falls and this fitted the bill.The building was in good condition although very dirty as would be expected after a few years outside,nothing that a 4 hour clean didn`t fix.I managed to get the roof off without any damage apart from a few of the A frame roof supports falling off(dryed out glue)so easily replaced in position,the glazing also came out without any problems to my amazement so new glazing can go in later but some of the windows are stuck and don`t open as also the pedestrian doors but I`m not going to force for obvious reasons,the freight door steps and staging both inside and out still need looking at but are in good condition,a new depot sign has been made and fixed on and needs finishing, the colours for the C&RG railroad structures are sand and brown so a base coat of sand spray and then the brown trim added after by brush,first coat on but second coat needed.The building was in the colours of red weatherboard and white trim so I assume its original status was the Idaho Springs depot after some research.There was a handcart that came with it with some luggage/freight on that will shape up well and the weigh scales from the wall need a repaint and re fix,as for an interior that`s being thought about too,just a few pics of progress so far but the ones I took of the original state have been lost.As a footnote the SW likes the progress and has given me the money for it as part of my Xmas prezzy!!!!:inlove:;);););),It looked in a sad state when I got it home but bringing it back to par.View attachment 259428View attachment 259429View attachment 259430View attachment 259431View attachment 259432View attachment 259433View attachment 259435
Anyone else spotted the moggie in the background?

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Didn"t notice it until you pointed it out but will assume now thats a portrait of one of our cats,pure white and goes by the name of Miss Poose C Katt,great at the vets when they call her;):giggle::giggle::giggle:(the C stands for Chaos):wasntme:

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Didn"t notice it until you pointed it out but will assume now thats a portrait of one of our cats,pure white and goes by the name of Miss Poose C Katt,great at the vets when they call her;):giggle::giggle::giggle:(the C stands for Chaos):wasntme:
Looks ginger and white.
Archie who lives here is black and white. Recently caught his 16th rat on the allotments at the back of our house. The Council want £1,000 a year to do the same thing...

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, but it means they’ll put Council Tax up again.

Happy New Year, everybody.

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Trying to catch up a little on the project as not done much at all over the holidays,more done on the interior details,the main thing is the passengers awaiting their train and the women talking babies over the back of the seats and the fella just showing very little interest,the seating is not fixed in as yet as not sure if north to south or east to west position is the best way round,some more items of furniture to make and go in.The blinds are just laying in the top of the window frames at this time as they need repainting,glazing has been fitted and a dummy floor to cover the hole in the base to keep all level,oh the paint edge on the window frames need tidying up,,,,,,I ran out of paint!!!!!!interior3 002.jpginterior3 004.jpginterior3 006.jpginterior3 005.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user