• Hi All I think many of you are not aware of the user profile options, if you hover over the small round icon top right of the screen, it may be black, have 2 letters or even your avatar, it will bring up a menu with lots of options for you to play with. One that we like to see used is the setting of an avatar (little picture) you can now also upgrade your account to remove adverts. Paul

Removing and re-applying old playmobil train stickers without damaging them.

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
  • -bbbb

-bbbb

When I recently found a deal on a playmobil 4054 (steaming mary) I didn't realize that it was a version with stickers rather than printings, and some of the stickers are not so perfectly applied (i.e. misalligned or starting to peel). I'm wondering if any of you has any experience removing and reapplying old playmobil 4054 stickers, and what the process is that you'd use. I'm under the impression that using a heat gun may help remove the old stickers maybe without damaging them, but I'm not sure what would be the best kind of glue to use to reapply stickers that have lost their stickyness. I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember someone spraying a little bit of degreaser like simple green on the back of non-sticky stickers to loosen the old adhesive enough to make it sticky again, but I don't have any of that at the moment for testing. Does anyone have any recommendations on removing or refurbishing old stickers or do you know if anybody has remade those old sticker sheets for the 4054?

-bbbb

JeffofSpace

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
  • JeffofSpace

JeffofSpace

Hmmm I think a “goo gone” or similar citrus de-adhesive would work for the gunk...a heat gun or even hair dryer (for delicacy) ought to allow you to remove. I would think a rubber cement or 3M 77 spray adhesive would be good (applied to sticker then stuck). If you have the ability, you can photograph them and then do an image trace and expand in Illustrator, perfect the new ones and then print o them out onto decal paper.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
  • Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

the difficulty will be loosening the adhesive. Heat will work on stickers, as long as you can get what's underneath hot too... not a good idea on a plastic body, hard to get it hot enough to loosen the stickers without warping the plastic below.

Also, pulling the stickers off, get "lift off", usually found in the big box stores. It is designed specifically to loosen adhesive stickers without harming paint/plastic.

The issue will be is you have to work it in from the edges, since it will not penetrate the sticker.... a long process if you want to re-use the stickers.

Greg

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
  • -bbbb

-bbbb

Thanks for the input. I think most if not all of them are on a transparent backing rather than paper backing. So ideally whatever adhesive is used on the transparent stickers should dry clear. The concern with using de-adhesive is that I don't want to ruin the stickers.

Last edited:
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
  • dunnyrail

dunnyrail

I wonder if an overnight dunk in water would work, certainly gets stickers of of baked bean tins for recycling! Worth oerhaps try on one of the worst ones. As for replacements, I print onto Matt Vynil Self Adhesive Paper if you get a good scan this should give you a good enough image.

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
  • P

playmofire

Fear not, -bbbb, the plans for the 4054 I am sending you includes the sticker sheet so you can print them off from there.

Xav204

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
  • Xav204

Xav204

Hello Brian,

I would like to say " it depends on its state..."
Jef is right to ask for a picture.

Most of the time I did succeed in removing old Playmobil stickers in going very slowly
( take a cutter to help to catch the corner, go on with tweezers
and use your fingers as soon as possible )
I might be lucky but I never needed to add glue, the original was still efficient

Here is my van,
where I had to remove the stickers and pasted them another place in order to add a window...
105253_8214d96ba655b33ef96a48fd2aa1a289.png

Not later than this morning I was removing and pasting a sticker from Playmobil Tank because it was misalligned

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
  • -bbbb

-bbbb

I wonder if an overnight dunk in water would work, certainly gets stickers of of baked bean tins for recycling! Worth oerhaps try on one of the worst ones. As for replacements, I print onto Matt Vynil Self Adhesive Paper if you get a good scan this should give you a good enough image.
I'm worried that soaking them may be detrimental to the adhesive. I'm not sure paper stickers could match the background color as well as the clear ones. My printer only does grayscale...

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
  • Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Sounds like put it in the sunlight, to get it safely warm, and then carefully peel away.

A trick is using tweezers or small needlenose pliers to avoid getting finger oil on the adhesive. Sounds like XAV204 is the most experienced with this and he has had success so I would follow his lead.

Greg

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
  • -bbbb

-bbbb

So I've found that this clear glue works excellently for the transparent stickers:
105745_1ae88aee259a6fea136cdb026d54fa74.jpg

I didn't notice any sign of the glue showing where I used it, and its holding things in place well.

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
  • -bbbb

-bbbb

Greg,
Aside from having already repositioned the gauges inside the cab, I've only peeled and repositioned one other sticker so far(on the side of the yellow dome), and used clear glue to secure the part which wasn't sticky anymore. It's an improvement as the edges were peeling off to begin with. Most of the stickers which are out of alignment are only slightly out of alignment and probably not worth adjusting. There are only 2 more stickers I'd really like to move(the 174's on the sides of the light box), and I'm still afraid of damaging them in the removal process as there are no loose corners for me to grab with anything. I don't want to use a razor for fear of damaging the plastic beneath.

The scan of the sticker sheet is not at a high enough resolution for printing, and playmobil USA no longer has the sticker sheet available. I was thinking I could refurbish the image to the proper size but it would be a lot of work to de-pixelate it, though it would be less work to get the largest 174 of the sticker sheet (for the rear of the tender) to function as the smaller 174's (for the sides of the light box), but it would still take a lot of adjustment:
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fplaymodb.org%2Fparts%2F8%2F81%2F30%252081%2520237.jpg&hash=a9e008d45504fbaed4c6fcc91fbc106f

To make this usable I'd have to reduce it to 2 to 4 colors, clean it up pixel by pixel, enlarge it to the proper size with an image scaler like HQX or something similar, then smooth everything out which didn't scale properly, and recreate lost information like the numbers on the gauges and the edges of the lettering. Then I'd have to find the proper clear printable sticker paper. Anybody have a better scan of that sticker sheet?

I hadn't yet focused too much on the stickers as I was too busy installing the light, lightswitch and battery switch (in the same way I did with the printed SM):

(note: click images to enlarge. in the first image, the chimney sticker on the right is original, and the one on the left was made with red tape)

-bbbb

Xav204

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
  • Xav204

Xav204

:giggle: :clap: :D
On top of that, we have more pleasure to rescue them ( and give them second life ) than spend so much money in new one without soul

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
  • -bbbb

-bbbb

Wow, that's more than I paid for the whole train. The image on their listing is already a little bit better than what was available before, but it would be nice if they would be so kind as to scan it in the highest resolution. I suppose if enough people chipped in it could be bought collectively inexpensively, reproduced, then hopefully resold to pay back the investors.