Relative Weight

• Thread starter Elmtree Line
  • Start date
E

Elmtree Line

<p> </p><p>A question i have been pondering....</p><p>My Live steam locomotives sit directly on shelves, no track under them, now if a standard gauge locomotive were placed on a solid surface i would expect damage to the flanges to occur with the weight? but as the reletive weight of my live steamys is maybe not as much?? is it possible that damage could occur to the flanges and should i stand them on track ?
</p>

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
The flanges are way over-scale compared to the real thing. They will make dents in the shelf. More risk of them getting knocked off the shelf ... maybe track or a groove in the shelf will prevent this ....

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
your life must be great to worry about things like this Keith :rofl:

E

Elmtree Line

The thought of damaging a steamy does rate quite high steve ;)

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
I get the same feeling every morning :rofl:

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
<p><font size="3">Hi Keith, </font></p><p><font size="3">Instead of a groove, if you use 2mm plasticard you can add a 'rail' from that glued onto the shelf. </font></p><p><font size="3">Add a extra block at the ends to ensure it will not come off if moved.</font></p><p><font size="3">Personally I use strips of PVC solid foam, but you are unlikely to have any 2mm plasticard or 2.5mm (Squires sell the stuff in sheet 1 foot x 1.5 feet) and you can on the outside add a stiffener piece say 1.5mm square.</font></p><p><font size="3">It can be cut with a Stanley knife, use a pair of pliers to snap it after cutting a good line on both sides.</font></p><font size="3"><font size="3"><p><font size="3">Yours Peter</font></p><p><font size="3" /></p></font></font>

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Elmtree Line - 5/12/2009 8:06 PM

<p> </p><p>A question i have been pondering....</p><p>My Live steam locomotives sit directly on shelves, no track under them, now if a standard gauge locomotive were placed on a solid surface i would expect damage to the flanges to occur with the weight?  but as the reletive weight of my live steamys is maybe not as much??  is it possible that damage could occur to the flanges and should i stand them on track ?
</p>

I would think most 1:1 locos could sit directly on their flanges without major damage to the flange.
Most railroad rerailer wedges rely on the flange running on the wedge to get the wheel back on track.

In the same vain I would expect no damage to the model flanges.

If you want to compare the relative weight of the model to the 1:1, then you need to divide the weight of
the 1:1 by the cube of the scale.

example
Scale of loco=1:29
weight of real loco=200000lbs
scale weight =200000/29³
scale weight =200000/24389=8.2lbs