Reed Switches

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
I have one of the 'myLocosound'cards and wish to fit a couple of reed switches , for momentary operation of the bell whistle, if possible.

I have a loco fitted with a Phoenis sound card by Hobbybahn I think, it was firtted bedore I bought it. The owner of that shop died suddenly and the family do not know where the switches came from, and the shop is being closed down.

I have looked on the web and all the switches I can find are glass enclosed, or two pin (for fitting to a PCB board) : these (in the photo) are plastic enclosed and have the wires exiting tiogether at one end - here is a photo of them, - the reed switches are the horizontal, chocolate colored cylinders with a screw on a bracket that is under the bogie sideframe fixing screw. The wires exit to the left, which is the front of the bogie.

4b6a9657770a4ab591a8e109c2b8ae13.jpg

Does anybody know where they can be bought from please?

Yours Peter B

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Those reeds seem to come as standard with Phoenix sound units and very similar ones used to be supplied with Soundtraxxx Sierra units when they were available.
Maybe Sandy of Scottish Garden Rail or any other U.K. Sierra dealer may be able to help.
Failing that Farnell Electronics do them, I think they are post free but seem a little expensive, see link below.

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/br..._001&Ntt=reed+switch&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial < Link To http://uk.farnell.com/jsp...x=mode+matchallpartial

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
I use the glass reeds.
I encapsulate them in plastic tubing purchased from your hobby shop with a bore size just a neat fit for the reed.
Cut the tube a bit longer than the glass. Insert the reed and then fill the ends with epoxy.

Now you wont break your reeds.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
corgi said:
I use the glass reeds.
I encapsulate them in plastic tubing purchased from your hobby shop with a bore size just a neat fit for the reed.
Cut the tube a bit longer than the glass. Insert the reed and then fill the ends with epoxy.

Now you wont break your reeds.
I do the same. use the square tube and it gives a good flat gluing surface. When you bend the wire coming out of the reed use thin longnose pliars to grip the wire at the glass or you risk breaking the glass. I use a hot glue gun to seal the plastic tube and also to attach them to the truck.
fcecf9567d1f4726810fae13daf51503.jpg

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Well there you are Peter, minimans has provided you with the good guts which now makes it unneccessary for me to take pics,
Heed minimans warnings as the glass encapsulution on the reed is easily broken.
I have used round tubing with the pigtails coming out of each end.
Now you have the choice of two options.

ps: Sierra only provided the glass encapsulated reeds, I cannot speak for Phoenix.

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Thanks to Minimans & Corgi -

Can I ask minimans please, what amperage ( or contact rating) the reed has please?

There are some with a contact rating of .5 amps, I have a 5amp controller which runs at about a quarter of that. Also are they micro reed, sub miniature, miniature or compact ones please?

I will use the square tube idea as the fixing will be quite easy - thanks for the photo.

Yours Peter.

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Sorry Peter but I have no idea as to rating on my reeds as I bought a job lot of different reeds from ebay, but I have been using them for years now and never had a failure yet. I think the sound unit's really don't pull any load worth talking about so no worries. I have also made a few 1700 track contact's with them and not had a problem.

ead6a503c250455f91c3b2168a448a42.jpg

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Peter, I have looked up one of my catalogues and details for a mini reed, which I believe are the ones used, and the data is:
Rating: 200vdc 0.5amps

More than adequate for operating locosound or any other sound unit. Will also operate a relay if more current is required to be switched.

I believe the norm is to use the right hand side of the track for triggering the whistle?

You can also use them mounted in the track to operate a latching relay for signalling. You will need a magnet mounted under your loco and obviously not near any reed you may have on the loco.

Minimans, that was a terrific buy.

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
corgi said:
Minimans, that was a terrific buy.

Yes even better when I think I paid less than $5.00 and there were a lot more then than now!! I love ebay.....................