Railway Ferries

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Rassender Roland in former East Germany had a similar ferrybthat used to take wagons across a short sea. See below extract from Wiki.

The first stretch of the line that was opened, running from Putbus to Binz and still in service today, began operations on 22 July 1895. The operator, Rügensche Kleinbahn-Aktiengesellschaft (RüKB), had extended its network to 104.82 km by 21 December 1896. One part went from Altefähr railway station, opposite Stralsund, by way of Putbus to Göhren. The other part led from Altenkirchen near Cape Arkona to Bergen by way of the Wittow Ferry; however, the ferry there that joined two stretches of line on separate lobes of Rügen normally only carried goods wagons, and passengers had to transfer on foot. The bulk of the lines were abandoned on 3 December 1967, on 10 September 1968 and on 20 January 1970.

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Country flag

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Country flag
A less exotic craft, but the twin tracks increase the shunting interest. A layout at the G Scale Society Solent Local Area Group bi-annual exhibition, Wickham, Hampshire, 5.11.2011. Unfortunately, I do not recall the name of the layout.

190204.JPG

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
Where did you find that? I assume it's a model
We had our own - especially across the Channel before the tunnel; the Night Ferry would take you from London Victoria to Paris without you having to get out of bed (you could also travel in the opposite direction ;);) )

However, some of the less famous were the ferries used to cross the Firth of Forth which, once made redundant by the most stunning bridge in the world Tay, came south and briefly operated from the English mainland, just north of Hayling Island, to the Isle of Wight :nod::nod: They had an ingenious method of dealing with tidal changes to the rail approach :nerd:

Last edited:

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Did the night ferry once on one of my puffer chasing jaunts to France back in the late 60’s. Think it went Dover to Dunkirk. Was the only time I used that route and the train reverced in Lille where SNCF 2-4-2TA Tanks ruled on a few local services.
15169657-234C-4E7F-90A3-F0AF4732B480.jpeg

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Not quite Ferries in the sence we understand them but New York had extensive Float Traffic from sundry points to New York. In its day a most complex and extensive set of operations.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
An image of the Hayling / IoW ferry. The gantry rode on its own set of rails, and was drawn up the slope as the tide came in.

It wasn't a straight route, as the ferry first had to sail out of Chichester Harbour, round the west end of Hayling Island before crossing the Portsmouth Shipping lanes and heading for the Isle of Wight.

Can't remember the actual location on the IoW - sharrafter consult Middleton Press later :nod::nod:

1663836837401.png

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
Right, now for the corrections :oops::oops::oops:

There was only one ferry, originally named P.S. Carrier, and re-designated S.S. Carrier on arrival in the South.

It was originally used on the Firth of Tay (not Forth as I wrongly stated) and was replaced by a less than stunning bridge :p:p

It ran from Langstone (on the mainland side of Langstone Harbour - an inlet of Chichester Harbour) to Brading on the isle of Wight.

One of the co-authors of the Middleton Press book 'Branch Line To Hayling' was Andy Bell, and he made a model of the Langstone Harbour terminal with a model of SS Carrier.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Country flag
I was always impressed by this one, at a hotel near Berlin:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Country flag
I have seen that before..
But had no idea of where it was, or what it was called. :(

PhilP

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
An image of the Hayling / IoW ferry. The gantry rode on its own set of rails, and was drawn up the slope as the tide came in.

It wasn't a straight route, as the ferry first had to sail out of Chichester Harbour, round the west end of Hayling Island before crossing the Portsmouth Shipping lanes and heading for the Isle of Wight.

Can't remember the actual location on the IoW - sharrafter consult Middleton Press later :nod::nod:

View attachment 304402
Pictures if that ferry are quite rare, not sure that I have seen that one before. I do have quite a good collection of both Hayling Island and Isle of Wight books. Of course it is entirely possible that I have forgotten this view!

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
Pictures if that ferry are quite rare, not sure that I have seen that one before. I do have quite a good collection of both Hayling Island and Isle of Wight books. Of course it is entirely possible that I have forgotten this view!
Pictures of the boat itself are extremely rare - Andy Bell had to guess that both ends were similar when he built his model :eek: