Question regarding the LGB Forney Design.

N

norman

Registered
1 Jan 2013
Hi Guys,

As the SR&RL Forney is a Two Foot Gauge locomotive,

did LGB simply broaden the Gauge of the SR&RL Forney MODEL locomotive from

Two Foot Gauge to Three Foot Gauge ( 39 Inch Meter Gauge ) for Gauge One Track at 1:22.5 Scale ?

Norman

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Norman. The LGB model is just 'inspired' by the SR&RL forney. Not a proportionally scaled model with different gauge.
I think you will find that there are many measurements that don't conform to a consistent scale.
Also, some LGB Forney versions have a pilot wheel and some don't. The bell and sand dome are swapped around on different versions too but can be easily changed.

Last edited:
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Yes, LGB are famous for using an elastic ruler when it comes to the scale of many of their models :nod::nod:

For some people it's a plus, while for some people it's a minus. You pays yer money and takes yer choice :cool::cool:

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Here you go Norman...
Drawing courtesy of David Fletcher.

137553_839b90d856345bc167f9786190c920d2.jpg

137558_d962f80dc93fd2e1762e8b1d2d0ed974.jpg

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I think it is fair to say that LGB did a good job capturing the look and feel of many Locomotives with their Elastic Ruler. Though it can tend to fall apart some when you compare say a 2ft Gauge Engine which will normally be quite small to a Metre Gauge one that will in the norm be somewhat bigger. The fact that they appear to match in Height and Width is in most cases so wrong. But hey if you like them so what.

maxi-model

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
There is always the Roundhouse made Fourney, that was 16 mm scale, 32 mm gauged and live steam. The problem is there are a lot of delectable prototypes out there to be modelled but, probably down to LGB and the rest of the worldwide market's preferences for 45 mm gauged track, not gauged in their native form so as to ensure a reasonable level of sales. Max

R

RogerK

Registered
3 Jun 2018
USA
I don't claim this information is totally accurate, but what the heck ...

The SRRL #6 was a 0-4-4T Forney built in 1891 by the Portland Company and the SRRL #10 was a 2-4-4T Forney built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1916.

Here is a link to an On2 model of the SRRL #10. The LGB #10 version is drastically shortened to run R1 curves, but the layout is fairly correct.

Here is a bit of trivia. Matthias Forney worked at the Hinkley locomotive works. The first two Forney locomotives (ARIEL & PUCK) were built for the short lived 2 foot gauge Billerica & Bedford line near Boston in 1877. They were originally designed and ran in the cab forward 4-4-0T direction, which gave them the great tracking qualities of the 4-4-0. By 1879, they were in Maine and became Sandy River #1 and #2. Although Sandy River bought the locomotives, they didn't buy into the 4-4-0T cab forward appearance and reconfigured them as 0-4-4Ts.

FatherMcD

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
RogerK,
Do you have any other information on the early Forneys? I'm particularly interested in the attached drawing. Thanks, Ken
137610_9fa5379db049b67c9f2db8cb22579dfe.jpg

FatherMcD

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Hi Guys,

As the SR&RL Forney is a Two Foot Gauge locomotive,

did LGB simply broaden the Gauge of the SR&RL Forney MODEL locomotive from

Two Foot Gauge to Three Foot Gauge ( 39 Inch Meter Gauge ) for Gauge One Track at 1:22.5 Scale ?

Norman
Norman, you have asked several questions about small locomotive dimensions and wheel diameters. Are you researching for a possible building project?
Ken

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
RogerK,
Do you have any other information on the early Forneys? I'm particularly interested in the attached drawing. Thanks, KenView attachment 259225
That is a most interesting beast. Would have been quite a sight to see them trundling to and fro on an EL. Turning at each end cos these are also a Cab (well bunker) first engine. What troubles me is how the fire was stoked, there appears to be a Firebox below the Vertical Boiler so one must imagine some kind of Shute existed in front of the Reversing Lever in the Cab to feed the the Firebox. I can imagine that this would have made an even Fire somewhat difficult to achieve. Any firmer Firemen out there like to add to this view?

R

RogerK

Registered
3 Jun 2018
USA
RogerK,
Do you have any other information on the early Forneys? I'm particularly interested in the attached drawing. Thanks, Ken
FatherMcD

My interest was in the Maine 2 footers after acquiring the the Roundhouse SRRL #24. Unfortunately, the Roundhouse Forney was no longer available and is probably unlikely to ever return. I found the reference to Ariel in a book titled Extra Narrow Gauge Junction, which is a collection of articles written by Dick Andrews in the Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette. He wrote mainly about the Maine 2 footers and was modeling in On2. .

I was unaware of the early Forneys and their use on the commuter lines, so you are still the resident expert for all things Forney.

Matthias also compiled the Car Builders Dictionary for the Master Car Builders Association. The Smithsonian has the 1888 revised version on line to view or download. The detailed drawings/illustrations are amazing.

N

norman

Registered
1 Jan 2013
"
Norman, you have asked several questions about small locomotive dimensions and wheel diameters. Are you researching for a possible building project?
Ken "

Yes, the DELTON 0-4-2T that was never put into production.

From where did you find the attached drawing from above? Please ignore the following funny symbols. They simply appeared with my Copy & Paste of the FORNEY Drawing.

• Happy
  • Dislike
  • Agree
  • Indifferent
  • Disagree
  • Sad
  • Funny
  • Clever
  • Winner
  • Informative
  • Scared
  • Friendly
  • In Love
  • Surprised
  • Useful
  • Funny
  • Optimistic
  • Creative

FatherMcD

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
It came from Early American Steam Locomotives by Reed Kinert. The text makes no reference to the illustration and contains no information on the engine. I'm building a model and looking for other information on the prototype. I'll start a new thread rather than hijack yours.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
In case any of you Thorney admirers missed it the Post on Bowaters is worth a look as they are working on a Thorne.

Last edited:
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
my eyes hurt
Yeah, I had that happen in one of my posts some time ago, but I managed to delete them - I think if you just catch something wrong with the cursor when pasting in ..........................

Scot Lawrence

Scot Lawrence

Registered
30 May 2018
Rochester, NY USA
Here you go Norman...
Drawing courtesy of David Fletcher.

View attachment 259196

View attachment 259199

That's the wrong comparison! ;)
SR&RL #6 is a Portland forney, no relation to the prototype the LGB model is based on.

The LGB model is based on Eustis Railroad Number 6,7, and 8, a set of identical triplets built by Baldwin.
Built for the 2-foot gauge Eustis railroad, which was later consolidated into the SR&RL, and the three Eustis engines then became SR&RL Number 20, 21 and 22.

The LGB model is quite accurate to the prototype in most dimensions, basically just regauged from 2-foot to 3-foot:

Scot

Last edited:
Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Little did I know I was going to get a history lesson today, very interesting reading, think LGB did an excellent job creating a American style engine especially articulating it like a mason bogie so there wasn't and over hang in turns. Years ago before there was American production products I made one out of a 2010 stanza but I made is short enough that there was little over hang.

Attachments

Reactions: Scot Lawrence
N

norman

Registered
1 Jan 2013
Thank you Scot and FatherMcD.

Yes Greg, Sunglasses are req'd !

Reactions: Scot Lawrence