Roundhouse Russell Fitting a SloMo to him and previous Problems him UPDATED THREAD NAME

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, what are your thoughts on using a SlowMo in an item of rolling stock so it can be used behind any locomotive. It would save on cost of having several SlowMo's and also some say that they can impose far more wear on a locomotive's running gear. One could then pick and choose whether to use one or not depending on the situation. The rolling stock with SloMo fitted would probably have to have at least two axles connected with sprocket and chain and have plenty of weight to keep the reverse traction for the unit to operate rather than the wheels just skating. :think:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, what are your thoughts on using a SlowMo in an item of rolling stock so it can be used behind any locomotive. It would save on cost of having several SlowMo's and also some say that they can impose far more wear on a locomotive's running gear. One could then pick and choose whether to use one or not depending on the situation. The rolling stock with SloMo fitted would probably have to have at least two axles connected with sprocket and chain and have plenty of weight to keep the reverse traction for the unit to operate rather than the wheels just skating. :think:
This has been talked about in the past, have no experience or know anyone who has done it - sorry.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Is it not likely the loco will just spin its wheels, if the slomo is in a trailing vehicle?

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
There was an article in the 16mm Association mag about someone who did something very similar. Unfortunately I'm not sure if I kept the article.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
There was an article in the 16mm Association mag about someone who did something very similar. Unfortunately I'm not sure if I kept the article.
Aha somewhere on the 16mm Webb site May be an Index for the Mag. Never managed to navigate to that site, can you Paul perhaps find the mag that way. Likely I may have it if not much more than a decade ago.

Thinking a little more about your query, it may be possible. Back in the clockwork days people were building phone return mechanisms into clockwork locomotives to slow them down thus making them more controllable. This may be an option, I think I may have also seen a cheep clockwork mechanism used for similar purposes (that could be what Paul is referring to). However if a puffer wants to go with over zealous regulator it may spin its wheels and drag the wagon along with the wagon skidding it’s wheels as suggested by Phil. Still perhaps you may then understand how flats are created on the real thing, you know that bang bang bang you sometimes hear on a real train.

Another option may be to build a sort of flywheel onto the axles of a wagon or even coach, indeed the SloMo has a flywheel in it for momentum control so this may be another option.

Neither of the add on to a wagon or coach options would work for me as I like to shunt a train with the loco to make a consist, run the train to a destination. Run round the train, run back to where it started and shunt the consist back to the sidings. All while stopping at intermediate stations to add / detach wagons/\. Not dooable with an add on, thus the SloMo is the only real option for my scenario.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Is it not likely the loco will just spin its wheels, if the slomo is in a trailing vehicle?

PhilP

I guess it could, just depends. It would complicate matters. You would need to maintain good traction on both the locomotive and the rolling stock item with SloMo fitted. The SloMo emulates a heavy consist which could make the locomotive's wheels spin too. I would imagine the set-up would have to match the particular locomotive doing the hauling or have a simple way to adjust things for the different locomotives used.

I found this: SSP Slomo Wagon - Garden Railway Club

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Inside the latest design of SloMo. The green bands can be seen in the lower half.
Looks like the bands act on the nylon gear in the top part. Interesting.
I guess it could, just depends. It would complicate matters. You would need to maintain good traction on both the locomotive and the rolling stock item with SloMo fitted. The SloMo emulates a heavy consist which could make the locomotive's wheels spin too. I would imagine the set-up would have to match the particular locomotive doing the hauling or have a simple way to adjust things for the different locomotives used.

I found this: SSP Slomo Wagon - Garden Railway Club

Oh heck yes forgot about that vid, seen a long time ago.