Private Messages - Now 'conversations'.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
THREAD DRIFT ON.
Was that Tops or Cops mr Rhino? I worked on TOPS in the late 70's early 80's at Healey Mils. Then went on to Waterloo RHQ in 1983 to look after all 5 of the Southern Offices. My first Management Post. Happy days. Supercomputer is a bit of a misnomer these days, I probably have more Computing Power in my Phone now.
THREAD DRIFT OFF
JonD

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
There was a period when it was mooted that the 3.5" disk should be referred to as a 'stiffy', in order to differentiate it from the 5.25" floppy..

For some strange reason, the idea never caught on!
;):giggle::giggle::giggle:

GNB

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Why do some apparent Private Messages appear in the Profile Posts section shown in the right hand panel of the forums page?

Administrator

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
GSC Moderator
Why do some apparent Private Messages appear in the Profile Posts section shown in the right hand panel of the forums page?
They Don't. Only Profile Posts Appear There.

If people post to peoples profile private messages then that is operator error,

GNB

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Now I'm really confused as I don't even know what profile posts or profile private messages are, worse still I've an awful feeling I may have been doing something wrong.
Look on the main Forums page (see link at top). Scroll down to the lower part of the Forums page and look for a column on the right hand side headed Profile Posts. Open that section by clicking on Profile Posts and within you will see lots of messages between individuals that contain personal data and information.

The Admin has clarified that users (AKA operators in admin speak) are mistakenly using this section to convey personal messages. I originally asked a question of the Administrator in a seemingly vain attempt to draw this to folks attention since such messages were open for anybody to read even if logged on as a guest.

In short use the Profile Posts section as a personal messaging system and it can be read by anybody on the web.

Hope that helps to relieve your discombobulation ;).

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I am using Xenith style-thingy, and I can see a link for Profile Posts towards the top of the screen, but no section on the right so labelled..

Perhaps the Profile Posts section needs to be off-limits to Guests??

GNB

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
I am using Xenith style-thingy, and I can see a link for Profile Posts towards the top of the screen, but no section on the right so labelled..

Perhaps the Profile Posts section needs to be off-limits to Guests??
Enjoying your erudite description of a "Xenith style-thingy", didn't realise your were a closet art lover - http://www.xenith.net/. Good job that wasn't revealed in the Coffee Lounge recently!

In return for your deeper insights into the meaning of “Palimpsest” and “Roadkill”, I will point out that if you look on the main FORUMS page in either, an Internety Explorer, Chromy, Firefoxy or, Safariesque type of web thingy, you can find cunningly concealed in plain view a section entitled PROFILE POSTS in the lower right hand section of the main FORUMS page.

Maybe the answer is that the Profile Posts thingy, on the main Forums thingy should off limits to your average G scale thingy ;).

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Enjoying your erudite description of a "Xenith style-thingy", didn't realise your were a closet art lover - http://www.xenith.net/. Good job that wasn't revealed in the Coffee Lounge recently!

In return for your deeper insights into the meaning of “Palimpsest” and “Roadkill”, I will point out that if you look on the main FORUMS page in either, an Internety Explorer, Chromy, Firefoxy or, Safariesque type of web thingy, you can find cunningly concealed in plain view a section entitled PROFILE POSTS in the lower right hand section of the main FORUMS page.

Maybe the answer is that the Profile Posts thingy, on the main Forums thingy should off limits to your average G scale thingy ;).
Ah-ha!
A different outlook on the world of the GSC Forum.. Thank you for pointing it out.

Having had a quick peak at said link.. 'Way above my intellect Prof.'.. To coin a phrase from another medium.. 'I prefer the 'knickers' jokes!' :(;)

Roadkill, I have to admit to creating more than my fair-share.. I think the wild-life is half-asleep when I (also half-asleep) am delivering papers.. That, and the fact I do more than average miles per year.
'Palimpsest' I will have to do some research on, and come back to you.

However, by your bringing the problem to the attention of the 'supreme being', and possibly my comment as well, I think we can count the outcome as a success.
:clap::clap::clap:

GNB

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Many thanks for that, my level of understanding is now considerably improved.

However, if I enter into a Conversation with someone, can the contents of that exchange be seen by other Forum Members?
You could simply test that by checking to see if you can "eavesdrop" the conversations of other members.

On the Profile front I must admit that I always surprised that Joe Soap Internet can read the members profile attached to the avatars, but that's just my own viewpoint.

Off topic...PhilP, to encourage you artistic endeavors, you really should read Ms Cushings ( http://www.xenith.net/poetry/palimpsest-and-roadkill/) work to get a deeper insight into 'Palimpsest' ;).

Last edited:
PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Moringin!
A bit..

Well, I now know what a 'Palimpsest' is..
One learns something new everyday!

In other news:

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Many thanks for that, my level of understanding is now considerably improved.

However, if I enter into a Conversation with someone, can the contents of that exchange be seen by other Forum Members?
Nigel, no - only those people with whom you choose to have the conversation. What is different to the old PM system is that you can choose to have a three-way, four-way etc conversation. Could be useful to arrange holidays for five Enid Blyton fans going to the Harz for example :mm::mm::mm::mm::mm:

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
What is the running number of loco Enid Blyton please??
;):p:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
What is the running number of loco Enid Blyton please??
;):p:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Possibly got a 5 or a 7 in it, but one of her granddaughters bought our house in Easebourne a few years back - probably the closest I'll ever get to a claim to fame :cool::cool::cool: