Price of pre-owned items (locos, rolling stock etc.).

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
It's been mentioned that make rather too much of what I feel to be hugely overpriced second-hand items seen at show, and I agree that dealers have their expenses. However, from personal experience, where a well-known visiting dealer offered me £600 for H0 trains, including entire sets of matching cars, brass locomotives from top grade makers like Tenshodo and Pacific Fast Mail, that were an easy £6000+ for me to buy, you might see where I'm coming from. At the show there were a few freight cars with walkways and brake stands missing, covered with carp, being 'offered' for £75. The average LGB shorty passenger car was £75, and some were more - c'mon, folks, it's getting ridiculous.

Reactions: mike
Scot Lawrence

Scot Lawrence

Registered
30 May 2018
Rochester, NY USA
In the US used Large scale (of any scale) at train shows is a reeeeeally tiny minority. (except of course for the one or two dedicated G-scale shows)
at a "regular" train show, I would estimate:
40% HO scale
40% O scale.
15% N scale
5% misc scales: (On30, Z scale, etc.)
0.1% G scale

Some shows have no G scale at all.
And whenever there is any G-scale, its priced so high that it doesnt sell.
I think most dealers "come across" some, accidentally, perhaops mixed in with a big HO scale lot they bought, they don't normally deal in it, and they think its worth much more than it really is.

Train shows are useless for G-scale in my experience..
For the past 20 years, my buying has been 99% on-line, its basically the only option.

I have sold some of my own stuff at train shows, (just a few random pieces for sale, with my G gauge club setup, im not a vendor)
but I price to sell...and they do sell! ;)
USA trains wood boxcar for $20, that sort of thing..
I would rather sell it "a bit low" than price it higher and possibly not sell it...because my goal is to sell.

Scot

mike

mike

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.lazygrangebay.co.uk
It's been mentioned that make rather too much of what I feel to be hugely overpriced second-hand items seen at show, and I agree that dealers have their expenses. However, from personal experience, where a well-known visiting dealer offered me £600 for H0 trains, including entire sets of matching cars, brass locomotives from top grade makers like Tenshodo and Pacific Fast Mail, that were an easy £6000+ for me to buy, you might see where I'm coming from. At the show there were a few freight cars with walkways and brake stands missing, covered with carp, being 'offered' for £75. The average LGB shorty passenger car was £75, and some were more - c'mon, folks, it's getting ridiculous.
I agree with you,, I have seen a dealer pick something up at a show, walk to his stand and add £500to the items price, simply because he can. And thinks he will get it..
It's called capitalism I think.. Would I do it.. No..

mike

mike

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.lazygrangebay.co.uk
Some interesting points made and have given me food for thought. I'm not a dealer and have only been selling stuff I no longer want or like. Just about everything I've bought was intended to be used at some point, although a few 'job lots' contained things I had no need for (and several surprises which weren't apparent at the time of purchase). As an example one large box had a bag containing 100 Hillman rail clamps, a shoe box with over 50 Preiser figures and two locos lurking in the bottom which were never even mentioned in the description.
What I wrote was in no way intended or aimed at you or anyone on here, buying or selling.. Even buying stuff, doing it up, or repairing it and selling it on, to my mind, is simply that.. Traders are those who buy and sell to fund there life style. Shop name ect..
Privet individual are not that..

mike

mike

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.lazygrangebay.co.uk
I'm good at talking, terblie at righting

dutchelm

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Many years ago I sold a 00 loco on the clubs stand at our local show. It was bought by a trader who told me that the seller didn't know what it was worth & he had bought a bargain. I often had a chuckle to my self when I saw it on his sales stand at a grossly inflated price for many, many years after. Who had the best deal?

Gizzy

Gizzy

Railways, Aviation, Caravanning....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
I only buy for the price I'm prepared to pay!

I do likes a bargain I does....

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Well, the train shows I have attended here in California usually have good deals, and show specials, that are cheaper than the usual prices.

The regular dealers give good prices. There are some people who think their trains are made of gold, and I just walk by, and they can take years to sell something.

But I would like to address one thing that TAC mentioned: yes, when the person buying the trains offers you 10 cents on the dollar, it seems ridiculous, but of course TAC indicated this was a dealer who just wanted to re-sell what he bought at a profit.

Clearly the business model there is different, this person needs a lower price in order to sell the product at a profit. This is not your best customer if you are a seller, unless you "make it up in volume"... (meaning you can sell at this low margin because you sell volumes)

Yes, it may be insulting, but there will ALWAYS be people in the world looking for a quick buck. If you want to sell a collection all at once to one individual, you should be prepared for the possibility that this person will be reselling the merchandise and for a profit.

Greg

PaulRhB

PaulRhB

Registered
Well there’s plenty who pay more than new price on eBay because they don’t do their homework and there’s those that hope they’ll turn up at shows ;)
I saw a first batch Bachmann Lyn for £180 at Ally Pally, I wouldn’t pay over £80 for that as the mech was poor compared to the second retooled version.
I was selling off some HOm at a show a few years back and a regular trader came up and told me I was asking too much at £75 for a RhB tractor, “max £50” he said. Well says I ‘you could buy it at £75 and still make £50 on it as it’s identical to the one you’re selling for £125 on your stand! Or you can leave it ;) ‘ It even had the same box.
I don’t mind them making a bit of money but when they do that they are just having you on! He stalked off and I sold all my stuff, I noticed the £125 one was still on his stand too :)

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I don't like being taken as an idiot - I can walk on by :smoke::smoke::smoke:

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Of course high second hand prices do have their uses. Just show the other half the expensive second hand items, and say look, those "toys" I have at home are an investment which hold their value

stockers

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Of course high second hand prices do have their uses. Just show the other half the expensive second hand items, and say look, those "toys" I have at home are an investment which hold their value
Slippery slope - best tell her nothing.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I've seen the downside of claiming things were an investment, and it's often a sad tale...

Guy passes away or get's out of the hobby, and now his big "investment" is really not worth what he has been claiming.

In our club, can't tell you the number of widows that can't understand how all these expensive things are not worth a lot more. (Although there are vultures who try to swoop in and get things for a song, taking advantage).

Lots of angst about the value of things, often a club member will go over, inventory and give the fair market value, and then the widow or descendants will put up a big argument, tell them they are wrong... and then wind up sitting on the stuff for a year and then selling it for a song to TAC's guy who gives 10 cents on the dollar...

It's best to say getting 50% of what you paid for it is a fair deal, that's my rule of thumb. Yes, REAL collectables can be worth more to the right buyer.

Greg

mike

mike

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.lazygrangebay.co.uk
120818_8584199c1786a461e931161e419c6a2c.jpg

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Unfortunately these days everything is looked on as an investment. That's why models and toys complete with mint conditioned boxes are so common on the trade stalls. If everyone used the items properly there would be a rarity in boxed items, and of course genuinely used kit

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
I agree with Greg, in reality around 50% is what you're likely to get. When I sold my large OO collection as individual items on eBay, I got back about 55% of what I paid (not RRP) once listing, seller, postage and payment fees are factored in. And most of the items were new to me, boxed and in very good condition. It took about 3 months of intensive work to list and sell over 50 lots, and you have to know the market. If you are not steeped in the hobby and wanted to sell it as a collection you would get nowhere near that.

Reactions: markrussell1966
ebay mike

ebay mike

Registered
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk
I have seen a dealer pick something up at a show, walk to his stand and add £500to the items price, simply because he can. And thinks he will get it.
I may have met him Mike. No names mentioned, but I was approached when I had a stand at Bressingham. Offered me a 'good' deal for three locos I was selling. The 'best he could do' for the lot was not much more than I was asking for just one. He was somewhat indignant when I declined. I checked out his stall a little later where he had almost identical items on offer at a few hundred pounds more each. I sold mind - I wonder if he's still got his??

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
There's just greedy, VERY greedy, INCREDIBLY greedy, and dealers.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I may have met him Mike. No names mentioned, but I was approached when I had a stand at Bressingham. Offered me a 'good' deal for three locos I was selling. The 'best he could do' for the lot was not much more than I was asking for just one. He was somewhat indignant when I declined. I checked out his stall a little later where he had almost identical items on offer at a few hundred pounds more each. I sold mind - I wonder if he's still got his??
Cheeky $^%=$/&*

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
yep, but I have found if gone, it wasn't meant to be, maybe that is an excuse for me but works, when I find something I want, I buy, if I have to think about it and when I come back it's gone, oh well, but if still there and even better, at a better price "score"