Price of pre-owned items (locos, rolling stock etc.).

ebay mike

ebay mike

Registered
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk
I had a thorough trawl around the show yesterday, this being my first time at a dedicated large event. Whilst the layouts and displays had much to view and absorb, my main interest was in the trader's stands. I have to admit I have much more stuff than I will ever require or should decently possess but I have always bought with the intention of meeting any future eventualities. My tastes have changed over the last few years but I have sufficient to meet my current and projected demands so have been slowly disposing of 'unwanted' stock. This doesn't prevent either the 'slipped finger' or 'Oooooh, I like/want!' syndromes and the opening of the wallet still happens. (It nearly did yesterday, but when I returned to a stall after some soul-searching and careful consideration I found the loco I had persuaded myself to buy had been purchased by someone else.)

I have run an occasional sales stand (elsewhere) in a small way for the last three years but was wary of pricing things too high. I did notice my stocks were being depleted at a greater rate than other stallholders, but was trying to find a happy medium between being greedy or successful. A couple of buyers had commented it was as if I just wanted to get rid of stuff. Having seen the ticket prices yesterday I feel I have been 'selling myself short' to coin a pun. You seasoned attendees will be able to either confirm or deny whether the asking prices have increased significantly in recent times, or are on a par with what you would expect. I realise it's a case of supply and demand and bartering is prevalent, but my items also attract offers and I suspect I may be under-pricing by a significant amount. Sales being achieved on eBay have jumped dramatically recently, almost to the 'I don't believe it' point. Am I asking too little to start with? I look forward to your experiences and comments.

Alec K

Alec K

Registered
25 Oct 2009
The Vale of the Avon
I had a thorough trawl around the show yesterday, this being my first time at a dedicated large event. Whilst the layouts and displays had much to view and absorb, my main interest was in the trader's stands. I have to admit I have much more stuff than I will ever require or should decently possess but I have always bought with the intention of meeting any future eventualities. My tastes have changed over the last few years but I have sufficient to meet my current and projected demands so have been slowly disposing of 'unwanted' stock. This doesn't prevent either the 'slipped finger' or 'Oooooh, I like/want!' syndromes and the opening of the wallet still happens. (It nearly did yesterday, but when I returned to a stall after some soul-searching and careful consideration I found the loco I had persuaded myself to buy had been purchased by someone else.)

I have run an occasional sales stand (elsewhere) in a small way for the last three years but was wary of pricing things too high. I did notice my stocks were being depleted at a greater rate than other stallholders, but was trying to find a happy medium between being greedy or successful. A couple of buyers had commented it was as if I just wanted to get rid of stuff. Having seen the ticket prices yesterday I feel I have been 'selling myself short' to coin a pun. You seasoned attendees will be able to either confirm or deny whether the asking prices have increased significantly in recent times, or are on a par with what you would expect. I realise it's a case of supply and demand and bartering is prevalent, but my items also attract offers and I suspect I may be under-pricing by a significant amount. Sales being achieved on eBay have jumped dramatically recently, almost to the 'I don't believe it' point. Am I asking too little to start with? I look forward to your experiences and comments.
Ah, Mike - well, I'll be the first to respond, and I won't be the last, that's for sure - my feeling is that you are being a fair man as opposed to any other judgmental term available. I've seen Terry Foley comment critically very recently on what he feels are outrageous prices for used rolling stock. Speaking purely personally, high or excessive charging does nothing whatever to promote or enable access to this excellent branch of the hobby.

There will be those who will espouse 'market forces' - whatever those may be - but if we have an opportunity, which you seem to have done, to inject a bit of common sense and understanding into the situation, then long may you do so. I do bid at auctions, though not eBay ones, so I do have some experience of inflation in prices. It's not a game I want to play, or want others to play.

Thanks for raising this topic.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I personally think that I'd rather buy a new kit and have the "fun" of building it as the prices of the used goodies tend to be the same as a new kit anyway.

ebay mike

ebay mike

Registered
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk
I personally think that I'd rather buy a new kit and have the "fun" of building it as the prices of the used goodies tend to be the same as a new kit anyway.
I agree if by 'kit' we are talking something to be put together Paul. I've just reviewed what I have written above and nowhere have I actually stated I was mainly referring to locos and rolling stock with a few accessories thrown in. My apologies for not making it clear.

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Surely it depends Mike, as with any sale, on whether you want to sell the item quickly or get the best price.
I've never bought at a show but if you are selling items there and think you're selling yourself short, up the asking price by 10% and be prepared to have punters negotiate.

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
Mike you make some very valid points and I agree that traders in second hand stock at shows seem to be pushing prices as high as they can. A reasonable price for items seems to be a thing of the past.

dutchelm

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
You can either price it to sell or price it to take it back home. It's up to you.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
It very much seems they are 'taking a punt'.. - If someone offers them their asking price, they are happy..
If you show interest, they come-back with a 'final-offer' lower-price. - Sometimes!

Mike, your prices are very fair. - You seem to know what you paid for things (I can never remember!) and if you and the punter are happy, they you both win.

Next time we meet.. The coffee and cakes are on me. - I went through our 'conversation' last night, and, on the day, you sold yourself slightly short on what was agreed all those months ago.
PhilP.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Next time we meet.. The coffee and cakes are on me. - I went through our 'conversation' last night, and, on the day, you sold yourself slightly short on what was agreed all those months ago.
PhilP.
That won't work - I said I'd buy his burger yesterday, but when it came to burger time, he was nowhere to be found - I had to eat it for him :devil::devil::devil:

Reactions: mike
P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I agree if by 'kit' we are talking something to be put together Paul. I've just reviewed what I have written above and nowhere have I actually stated I was mainly referring to locos and rolling stock with a few accessories thrown in. My apologies for not making it clear.
Probably my fault, I was looking at wagons yesterday, and that was in my mind rather than engines, or even rtr.

ebay mike

ebay mike

Registered
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk
It very much seems they are 'taking a punt'.. - If someone offers them their asking price, they are happy..
If you show interest, they come-back with a 'final-offer' lower-price. - Sometimes!

Mike, your prices are very fair. - You seem to know what you paid for things (I can never remember!) and if you and the punter are happy, they you both win.

PhilP.
Phil, price was adjusted in view of what I saw for sale on the day. Just wish I'd made my mind up earlier and gone back for it before some other bugger (not burger) grabbed it.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
We have seen motive power and to a lesser extent rolling stock really go up on price on ebay, and somewhat at "swap meets".

One thing here is that Aristo went out of business leaving a large hole in availability. There are people who really want a particular loco, and with no new manufacture on the horizon, will pay almost anything.

Greg

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Second hand prices can be a very subjective issue. Some items will have been very desirable had a short run time and in consequence command a high Second Hand price, possibly in excess of the price when new. Other will have had massive run time, think the Commin Stainz. Thus prices for a used one are likely to be as low as half on a poorly presented one. Whereas a good sound clean one second hand could command as much as 75% of the original price. Certainly an original Box will always add to the Value and if selling via a dealer help with the Posting Regime if that is appropriate. Remember that dealers have a living to make, they have invested their hard earned cash in buying someone’s unwanted Trains and may be hum-Engine them around to many Shows prior to a Sale. GRS’s Tower Block of LGB Boxes will be well known, not seen at the 16mm Show this year. Some will be Commission Sales, others bought in.

As a rule I think within the Forum we have a pretty fair concept of the value of things and prices asked are generally reasonable. Though there have been a few “How Much” moments in my mind, but only a few.i have both bought and sold on the Forum with differing degrees of success. Perhaps some of the items I was trying to sell were just not wanted by anyone - always a possibility.

Second Hand Track, there was a lot of it at Peterborough this Year and I saw many bids lugging quantities of it about. Quite right too, New is horribly expensive and at what appeared to be mostly agreeable prices Second Hand Track is always worthwhile. LGB particularly as it is near indestructible and with a little work does not take much to coax it into a useful Permanent Way. I have also much Second Hand Peco on my line and that being my preferred choice of Track has always stood me in good stead even Second Hand Points.

As for what YOU would pay for any Second Hand Item, well that is a very debatable thing. Depth of your pocket, how much you want it, what it cost new etc etc etc. But as a rule of thumb I would say no more than 75% of new price if in perfect condition. Better at 50-60%.

Finally never ever get into a bidding war at any Auction. Decide your price before bidding, bid that as late as you possibly can. If has already gone over your Maximum Bid, do not worry like a Bus another will come along later.

MTheStrong

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Second hand prices can be a very subjective issue. Some items will have been very desirable had a short run time and in consequence command a high Second Hand price, possibly in excess of the price when new. Other will have had massive run time, think the Commin Stainz. Thus prices for a used one are likely to be as low as half on a poorly presented one. Whereas a good sound clean one second hand could command as much as 75% of the original price. Certainly an original Box will always add to the Value and if selling via a dealer help with the Posting Regime if that is appropriate. Remember that dealers have a living to make, they have invested their hard earned cash in buying someone’s unwanted Trains and may be hum-Engine them around to many Shows prior to a Sale. GRS’s Tower Block of LGB Boxes will be well known, not seen at the 16mm Show this year. Some will be Commission Sales, others bought in.

As a rule I think within the Forum we have a pretty fair concept of the value of things and prices asked are generally reasonable. Though there have been a few “How Much” moments in my mind, but only a few.i have both bought and sold on the Forum with differing degrees of success. Perhaps some of the items I was trying to sell were just not wanted by anyone - always a possibility.

Second Hand Track, there was a lot of it at Peterborough this Year and I saw many bids lugging quantities of it about. Quite right too, New is horribly expensive and at what appeared to be mostly agreeable prices Second Hand Track is always worthwhile. LGB particularly as it is near indestructible and with a little work does not take much to coax it into a useful Permanent Way. I have also much Second Hand Peco on my line and that being my preferred choice of Track has always stood me in good stead even Second Hand Points.

As for what YOU would pay for any Second Hand Item, well that is a very debatable thing. Depth of your pocket, how much you want it, what it cost new etc etc etc. But as a rule of thumb I would say no more than 75% of new price if in perfect condition. Better at 50-60%.

Finally never ever get into a bidding war at any Auction. Decide your price before bidding, bid that as late as you possibly can. If has already gone over your Maximum Bid, do not worry like a Bus another will come along later.
I think that you make some very good points. I purchased one loco at the Show and was very satisfied with the price that I paid for it. It was boxed, complete with all the paperwork and looked to have had very little use. It was an analogue version of the Black LGB Rugens 0-8-0. I gave it to Peter of Chalk Garden to have a Massoth XLS fitted. At the moment I have little spare time so getting someone else to fit the chip was the only viable option.

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Phil, price was adjusted in view of what I saw for sale on the day. Just wish I'd made my mind up earlier and gone back for it before some other bugger (not burger) grabbed it.
Now that's what you call gentleman seller.

mike

mike

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.lazygrangebay.co.uk
It's worth what the next buyer pays for it.. No more no less..
Private sales.. No fee.. No warranty, and I guess no tax? No costs of staff ect

Trader sales. They have tax to pay. So +18%(i know its wrong) if they have a shop, rent, bussness rates (unless it's run from home but don't get caught running abussness by the tax man, undeclared, from home as they really do look at everything) warrenty items as the customer expects to get one.

We all know its not cheap, we know it's going to go up in price, right up till it doesn't..
That's when there's no younger folk coming in buying up old collections

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
It's also informative to watch the stuff that doesn't sell on evilbay. Some clearance guy got hold of the old Broome Lake & Eastern collection (Don Gilham I think) and has got the prices very wrong.

ebay mike

ebay mike

Registered
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk
Some interesting points made and have given me food for thought. I'm not a dealer and have only been selling stuff I no longer want or like. Just about everything I've bought was intended to be used at some point, although a few 'job lots' contained things I had no need for (and several surprises which weren't apparent at the time of purchase). As an example one large box had a bag containing 100 Hillman rail clamps, a shoe box with over 50 Preiser figures and two locos lurking in the bottom which were never even mentioned in the description.

dutchelm

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
It's worth looking on ebay at the prices of things that actually sold. Far more realistic than the prices some sellers hope to get.