Power Bogies for 32mm

Grantham

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Best answers
Can anyone recommend a make of power bogie in 45mm gauge that can easily be converted to 32mm.

I am trying to build a 32mm gauge bogie diesel but the 2 types of power bogies I have in stock are worm drive and these "cog" or interfer with each other when run as a pair or are bevelled gears and these do not hold a train on a gradient as they can be freewheel.

Ideally would like to buy a couple of Accucraft or Bachman bogies and convert to 32mm but the width of the motor block may preclude this. I have no knowledge of 45mm plastic diesels so any advice will be most gratefully receieved.

Thanks in anticipation,
David

Grantham

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Best answers
Steve, thats the issue. I dont believe there are any 32mm power bogies on the market that are not worm driven or not freewheeling bevels. In 45mm there are many. Thanks, David.

Grantham

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Best answers
Thanks Steve,

The pre bevel period Essel worm drives do not run satisfactorily as a pair. I guess it is something to do with the thrust bearings, or lack of.

I should have gone 45mm.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Grantham said:
Thanks Steve,

The pre bevel period Essel worm drives do not run satisfactorily as a pair. I guess it is something to do with the thrust bearings, or lack of.

I should have gone 45mm.

David

Welcome to the real world - the only advantage of 45mm is that there are a two or three ready built power bogies, but if you want to build your own, there's only limited availability of parts.

I'm not sure why your two worm driven bogies should interfere with each other - it suggests to me that either the ratios are not identical, or that the power is not being distributed evenly between the motors (or the motors are not matched)

Most 45mm bogie 'bricks' use worm drive quite comfortably - I am slightly puzzled :-

Edit - Looked back at you last post, is it that there's two mutch play when the bogies are driving - do you have a picture?

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
You could try to do what they do with OO gauge diesels - one motor driving both bogies ...