Portable freight management program

ge_rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Some of you might be aware that I have written a computer program to generate freight movements on the PLR. However, that requires me to run the program on my laptop, generate the freight movements, print out the manifests and then use the print-outs to guide the movements whilst out in the garden.

Recently, I stumbled across my old Psion palmtop computer tucked away in an old computer bag at the back of the cupboard under the stairs.

Remarkably, after inserting a couple of AA batteries, it sprang into life. I loved (and still do) my little Psion which, for the uninitiated, has a rubberised keyboard, a small LED screen and built-in word processor, spreadsheet, database, agenda, clock and world time apps. It also has a very accessible programming language based on OPL. So, I dusted off my OPL programming knowledge and decided to write a version of my freight handling program for the Psion. This means I can now take the computer in my pocket out into the garden and manage freight movements on the fly.

I suppose this is a case of retrotech in action.

More info on my blog - https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... ogram.html

Rik

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Some of you might be aware that I have written a computer program to generate freight movements on the PLR. However, that requires me to run the program on my laptop, generate the freight movements, print out the manifests and then use the print-outs to guide the movements whilst out in the garden.

Recently, I stumbled across my old Psion palmtop computer tucked away in an old computer bag at the back of the cupboard under the stairs.

Remarkably, after inserting a couple of AA batteries, it sprang into life. I loved (and still do) my little Psion which, for the uninitiated, has a rubberised keyboard, a small LED screen and built-in word processor, spreadsheet, database, agenda, clock and world time apps. It also has a very accessible programming language based on OPL. So, I dusted off my OPL programming knowledge and decided to write a version of my freight handling program for the Psion. This means I can now take the computer in my pocket out into the garden and manage freight movements on the fly.

I suppose this is a case of retrotech in action.

More info on my blog - https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... ogram.html

Rik
Hi Rik, I was a great lover of the Psion in the day. Sadly all of my old 3’s were shot so sold as Repeir or Spare on EBay. bUT I have a brand new never been used 5 in a Box. Be interested to see if your Prog would run on that.

ge_rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Hi Rik, I was a great lover of the Psion in the day. Sadly all of my old 3’s were shot so sold as Repeir or Spare on EBay. bUT I have a brand new never been used 5 in a Box. Be interested to see if your Prog would run on that.
I too graduated to a Series 5 - and sold it when I moved on to newer things - but I hung on to my Series 3a. I felt the Series 5 was not quite as robust at the 3 Series, with its sliding keyboard.

Can't remember if the Series 5 used the same version of OPL. I'd like to think so, the Psions were always so well thought-out.

Rik
Looks like they were compatible - http://www.bioeddie.co.uk/Psion/downloads/userguides/opl_1_intro.pdf

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I too graduated to a Series 5 - and sold it when I moved on to newer things - but I hung on to my Series 3a. I felt the Series 5 was not quite as robust at the 3 Series, with its sliding keyboard.

Can't remember if the Series 5 used the same version of OPL. I'd like to think so, the Psions were always so well thought-out.

Rik
Looks like they were compatible - http://www.bioeddie.co.uk/Psion/downloads/userguides/opl_1_intro.pdf
Nice to know compatible - sort of. But blub blub blub when it comes to any kind of programming, my IT mind does not work that way. But if you want something tested, well that was my IT thing and as a helper for working software too.