POLA 330991 LGB Windmill

Daniel

Daniel

Registered
8 Nov 2016
Southampton
Recently purchased the windmill realizing it was not motorized but interested in making it motorized. If anyone has done this or has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Attachments

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Recently purchased the windmill realizing it was not motorized but interested in making it motorized. If anyone has done this or has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated, thanks
If you find it tricky to motorise making the sail as free rotating as possible means that it will likely turn with a fairly light breeze.

stockers

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
or ebay - geared motors.

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
You can get some fairly inexpensive all metal motor/gearboxes with very high ratios from eBay sent from China. :eek:
Some are really tiny and others which are used for car windows are more robust. They may be far cheaper than the Pola items which are nothing special.

DC 12V 3.5RPM Slow Speed Reducer Metal Gearbox Turbo Worm Gear Motor High Torque | eBay
DC 12V 6-150 RPM Low Speed High Torque Gear Box Encoder Turbo Worm Gear Motor | eBay
DC3V-12V Mini Micro N30 Gear Motor Full Metal Gearbox Large Torque DIY Robot Car | eBay

Last edited:
stockers

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
That'll do it.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Hmmmm.....

DSC02271.JPG

Wonder what No.2 Daughter would say??

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Philp, I needed a cut lunch waiting for that image to display. It must be the size of a football field! :D

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Philp, I needed a cut lunch waiting for that image to display. It must be the size of a football field! :D
An 816K JPEG?? - I think the Interweb is full? :rolleyes:

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
I have one, for several years. I never leave it outside, nor use it very frequently. But, they are intriguing.

the easiest but not the cheapest option is the pola motor. second, imho, the high ratio tamaya motors, which are a pita to assemble, but work well.
be forewarned those sails and more specifically the lattices are delicate and too thin to tolerate much uv over time.
fwiw, i have never had a breeze cause the sails to rotate...too little pitch, to great a mass, methinks.

Daniel

Daniel

Registered
8 Nov 2016
Southampton

Daniel

Daniel

Registered
8 Nov 2016
Southampton
Thanks everyone for the recommendations, waiting on delivery of the motor now