Point Motors

Dylanlewis2000

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Just a quick quick question regarding what you do over the winter with your point motors. I have one or two LGB point motors and i have a few Piko motors. The piko motors seem to be well protected and have rubber protectors protecting the leads coming in to them whereas the LGB don't. What do you do to protect them in the winter and even the rain packed summers we get?

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
You dont have to worry about them they are pretty robust.
Give em a clean out and a sqirt of WD40 every few years and they will go for ever.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Some peeps put a bit of petroluem jelly or insulation tape over the screwholes of the LGB motors, but I've personally not done so, or had any problems either.

After the harsh winter, a recent check revealed that all my motors which froze up during the colder weather, are working okay, but need a little maintainance and cleaning.

WD40 works for me too!

Dylanlewis2000

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Cool well thats good to know... one other thing if you wanted to run them in the winter but the motors are frozen up, whats the best way to de ice them?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Dylanlewis2000 said:
Cool well thats good to know... one other thing if you wanted to run them in the winter but the motors are frozen up, whats the best way to de ice them?

I didn't bother to de-ice them? I either ran a restricted service, or I instructed the loco crews to change the points manually.

Diesel locos on the LG&B are One Person Operated, to save on costs, as is done on privately run freight railways on the continent by companies such as Veolia.

The driver often performs the duty of shunter, using a remote control transmitter to operate the loco, as well as changing points if required.

I'd be interested to see a picture of the Piko motor if you have one to hand please....