Playmobile Shunting Loco

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Country flag
Madman said:
Thanks guys. I tried looking for a QL82D diode on the web today. I didn't have good results. Is there something else I should be entering in the search bar?

Ah, that's the stock code for a particular UK retailer.

Try a search for 1N5401. Actually 1N540x were x is any number will do fine.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Country flag
Madman said:
As in these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-1N5401-SCHOTTKY-BARRIER-DIODE-RECTIFIER-3A-/400830889107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d5361fc93

Yes and No.

The recommended 1N5400 series are general purpose silicon rectifier diodes. The description on that ebay page is confusing and at odds with that claiming them to be Schottky diodes. In my very limited experience Schottky diodes are more modern and sophisticated with a lower forward voltage drop. Generally this is an advantage, but not when you wish to use them to reduce the voltage applied to a motor

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
I've recently aquired one of these excellent little loco's and - as 'funantrains' said in post # 9 - the reduced voltage from rehargeable batteries helps.

However the best thing I've found to get the speed more realistic, is to simply load it up untill the desired speed is obtained. I've loaded mine with 8 items of mixed Accucraft stock - including two bogie wagons - and on the lowest speed setting it trundles around our club SM 45 track, at a scale 10 mph, for 3 1/2 hours or more and there's still over 1.2 volts in the cells.

I have to put the transmitter in one of the wagons otherwise it goes out of range, although I've found it to be better than the 33 ft. claimed by Playmobil.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Country flag
For some reason the links to past posts above are coming up as "Page cannot be found".

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Country flag
They are old ebay links so there wont be any records to link to now. They dont hang around for ever.

LVT

Analogue automated LGB Euro on 4 loops
24 Oct 2009
Near Atlantic City NJ USA
Country flag

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Country flag
Thats a lot for some 3 amp diodes! :rofl::rofl:

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
Yes - it's bad enough when people don't give enough clues as to what their post is about - but it's even worse with threads.

I mean, what's this all about? ....

https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/playmobil-5254-loading-terminal-crane.306683/

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh yeah - HB!

EDIT .... Ah oh! - that terminal crane thread seems to have been deleted - it's a bit of a shame really, it looked as though it could have been quite useful - all it needed was a couple of clues as to what the OP was trying to achieve.... :)

Last edited:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Country flag
I just rebuilt a few links here - not sure why they dropped out.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
I just rebuilt a few links here - not sure why they dropped out.
This sounds very similar to the fault I posted earlier today but is now fixed.
JonD

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
There was an orange and grey version of the diesel made around 2007? ( I am terrible with dates)

It turned out to be the last of the RC trains to be introduced using the old mechanism and featured a working diode front light. The catalogue number was 4085, it came with a good amount of track including three points and a container wagon with gantry crane. Some hopeful people are still offereing new sealed sets for 300 Euros + on Amazon!!

http://www.amazon.de/Playmobil-4085-RC-Güterzug-mit-Verladerkran/dp/B001CDX650

It was a brilliant set and had loads of play value. The new 5258 set has more bells and whistles, and is very good value, but you will need to add more to it to give operational interest.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Playmobil-5258-Action-Control-Freight/dp/B0077QSSTU

James

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Henri, ours is R/C, and though it came in a set there is nothing, apart from the few rails (a circle and two short straights) that we don't use. Those rails could also be sold on, there does seem to be a market.

It is a superb bit of kit and takes the abuse given five or six of the grandkids without complaint, it is also a great hauler and will cope with grades.

Looking on the bottom there is a plethora of numbers, but I think 5258 is the model No. Ours came through Amazon for well under £100. Excellent value in my book.