Playmobile Shunting Loco

Topogardenmike

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Hi all

I bought a playmobile set for my grandson that has a 0-4-0 radio controlled diesel shunted in it.

He's only 3 and my thought is he can play at his house or bring it round to mine and he can run it on my garden railway.

It's a fine if toylike little engine with sound, operating horn and lights.

The problem I have with it is that the speed control is not very good. It seems to go quite fast at minimum speed settings and then like a rocket at maximum speed. I have contacted Playmobile and am waiting for a response. Just wondered if anybody else had had experience with this engine and perhaps engineered a solution.

Merry Christmas

Mike

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
A few diodes in the motor wiring to reduce the voltage?

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Country flag
Someone has addressed this issue and there is a detailed explanation of how on the forum. However, I can't find it as yet, but I'm sure someone will.

Yes out of the box the performance is sprightly! ;)

I added diodes as per this thread
https://www.gscalecentral.net/electric-locomotives-trams/playmobil-diesel-transformation/30/

We found three diode bridges were enough really and the extra switch is optional. For a youngster you might want the option to switch past the diode bridges altogether so they can still have the max speed option. Getting the body off is by far the hardest part and requires a fair bit of force to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Topogardenmike

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Thanks to all who have replied.

Looks like a bit of modification is on the cards when the Christmas novelty has worn off and I can spirit it away for modification.

Cheers

Mike :D

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
Short term Christmas fix - load the wagons with something heavy :happy: :happy: :happy:

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
One of our 3yr olds has been playing with ours today and he said it wasn't fast enough!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: "G'dad I want it to go very fast."

I agree the control is a bit touchy particularly for little hands without the finesse or experience. He finds the stop position difficult to find but then he also insists on holding the controller upside down, I have to say I'd wondered about using a completely different controller, perhaps with a sprung stop, has anyone tried that?

Also it was raining, so we had to use the supplied track and not the garden track, has anyone got any extra track they don't want?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Last edited by a moderator:

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Country flag
They get better after a few hours running and if you use rechargable batteries the lower voltage helps.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
funandtrains said:
They get better after a few hours running and if you use rechargable batteries the lower voltage helps.

Good idea Steve, at 0.3 volts per cell that can make quite a difference :) :)

Don't know how many it uses, but that's a voltage drop of 20% 8)

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Country flag
Rhinochugger said:
Good idea Steve, at 0.3 volts per cell that can make quite a difference :) :)

Don't know how many it uses, but that's a voltage drop of 20% 8)

They use 6 AA batteries.

I have one that my young son uses at G Scale Soc events and use normal alkaline batteries as they last a very long time. The first couple of times we used it it was almost stop and rocket speed but then pulling a train of 3 bogie wagons it could pull them at quite slow speeds and could even cope with gradients.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Ours is on rechargables. It will run nice and slowly, but there does seem to be a jump as it gets above about a third. Pulls the supplied waggon and two LGB bogie coaches no probs, even up my 1:40.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Country flag
I'm trying to get my head wrapped around the use of diodes to reduce voltage to a motor. I know there are other methods such as the small voltage reducing PCBs I can get from China. The only problem with them is that they are polarity sensitive, so reversing the direction of a motor is not possible using them.

Can someone elaborate on the type of diode I would need and how to use it to control the speed of a motor?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country flag
Depending on the type of diode used, you lose around 0.7 volts or so per diode. so you create a string of diodes in series to drop by the required voltage. Then you create another string with the same number of diodes in inverse-parallel to the first, that way it works for either DC polarity.

the link below should take you directly to an illustration from the original thread as posted earlier:

https://www.gscalecentral.net/electric-locomotives-trams/playmobil-diesel-transformation/msg292789/#msg292789

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Country flag
Thanks Nick. So the diode is indicated by the triangle pointing to the straight line?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country flag
Yes, that's right. Think of it as a one-way valve, electricity can flow in the direction of the arrow but not the other way.

800px_diode_3d_and_ckt.png

Yes the line is also physically on the outside of the diode at that end of the cylinder. So just make sure the diodes are the same way round so all the lines are at the same end as shown on the diagram, ie 3 (or 4) one way and three the other ;)

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Country flag
Thanks guys. I tried looking for a QL82D diode on the web today. I didn't have good results. Is there something else I should be entering in the search bar?

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
What I don't understand is: why can we not use a resistor? Ohm's law applies to diodes, just differently for the direction, does it not?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Country flag
Beddhist said:
What I don't understand is: why can we not use a resistor? Ohm's law applies to diodes, just differently for the direction, does it not?

Ohm's law as such doesn't apply to diodes. Within reasonable working parameters their forward voltage drop is pretty constant regardless of the current. This feature is the reason that some choose to use diodes for this application.