Playmobil train parts compatibility.

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
I'm wondering about the interchangeability of parts between some playmobil trains, and thought I'd post some questions here for people who may be able to answer or who may have further compatibility insights they'd like to share.

The 4019/4017/4021 seems to have the same chasis as the 4035 per playmodb and a somewhat similar chasis to the 3958 and 4051 by appearance. So I'm wondering if the cow catchers (cattle guards?) of the 4035 and 3958 are interchangeable, and if they will both fit on a 4019/4017/4021. I'm assuming that the Steaming Mary version of the cattle guard is not interchangeable. I'm also wondering if all of the playmobil smoke stacks are interchangeable. For example, will a Steaming Mary smoke stack fit on a 4035, 4017, or a 4052, and will a 4035 smoke stack fit on a 4052, etc.?

Also, I've noticed that some black handles for trains are the same part number as many non-train construction vehicle handles. And it looks like there are some non-train parts using the same molds as some train parts. For example there's part number 30 26 1590, a silver-ish vehicle handle on jeeps and SUVs (such as the 5974 or 5187 police car) which appears to be the same mold as the handles used on trains (see picture:
).
Do you guys know of any other non-train part numbers which share the same molds as train parts, or which are compatible for use with trains?

-bbbb

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Walter Turner on this site can probably provide all the answers off the top of his head. Others of us, such a me, will need to think and experiment.

James Day

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
I'm wondering about the interchangeability of parts between some playmobil trains, and thought I'd post some questions here for people who may be able to answer or who may have further compatibility insights they'd like to share.

The 4019/4017/4021 seems to have the same chasis as the 4035 per playmodb and a somewhat similar chasis to the 3958 and 4051 by appearance. So I'm wondering if the cow catchers (cattle guards?) of the 4035 and 3958 are interchangeable, and if they will both fit on a 4019/4017/4021. I'm assuming that the Steaming Mary version of the cattle guard is not interchangeable. I'm also wondering if all of the playmobil smoke stacks are interchangeable. For example, will a Steaming Mary smoke stack fit on a 4035, 4017, or a 4052, and will a 4035 smoke stack fit on a 4052, etc.?

Also, I've noticed that some black handles for trains are the same part number as many non-train construction vehicle handles. And it looks like there are some non-train parts using the same molds as some train parts. For example there's part number 30 26 1590, a silver-ish vehicle handle on jeeps and SUVs (such as the 5974 or 5187 police car) which appears to be the same mold as the handles used on trains (see picture:
View attachment 233042 ).
Do you guys know of any other non-train part numbers which share the same molds as train parts, or which are compatible for use with trains?

-bbbb
Hello,

I have had a fair amount of experience taking PM apart and putting it back together.

I will do my best to answer what I can.

In escence the loco in the 3958 set was an an americanised version of the electric 0-4-0 with a different cab roof, smoke stack and the plug in Pilot or Cow catcher to replace the front buffers and coupling.

After the switch to RC the 4035 Santa Loco became the RC version of the same thing using the same special parts.

However none of the special parts used on 3958 or 4035 are the same as those used on Steaming Mary - except the finials from either side of the Cow Catcher and the Cows Skull!

A steaming Mary Chimney has a wider neck and is taller that the 4935/3858 version. If you file out the chimney opening in the small loco boiler it can be made to fit but is HUGE and some say looks odd but as the special 3958/4035 chimneys and roofs are frequently lost it is better than nothing! I did this once!

As for the 4052 - no nothing in common with with 4035/3958 apart from a few small fittings and the mech!

Never tried fitting a Steaming Mary Smokestack to a 4052 - has anyone? I can't imagine what this would look like!

Whilst parts for the more common locos come up on e-bay frequently parts for 4035/3958 never seem to and bits for 4052 do sometimes but only at serious prices.

I hope that helps - please come back with any follow up questions you may have.

James

As a PS: yes many parts used in the train range were also used elsewhere - for example the Cow's Skull that adorns Steaming Mary and 3958 came from a mine. The issue is that every time PM change the colour or decoration they change the part number. Also some years ago they switched from seven to eight digit part numbers.

If you send a e-mail to PM direct they are very helpful and will supply what they can but only from the past five or six years production and they are clueless on earlier or alternative part numbers so will only give you precisely what you ask for.....

On the plus side they will either send or give you a link to instruction sheets and many others can be found online. I often look at recent Playmo catalogues to find models that may have bits I need and the contact PM direct for those bits.

A number of those older models reintroduced and then sold through PM direct are great sources, but only if PM direct have access to service/instruction sheet with modern part numbers!

Last edited:
-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Thanks guys, that was helpful info. And Mr. Turner is very helpful as well. James, if you ever took a picture of the result of when you filed out the chimney hole and placed the Steaming Mary chimney in there, that would be interesting to see.

-bbbb

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
92226_a1d694b42fc95b326c9d3fb8aa5b5cc9.jpeg
92224_76a4b21c3ee1325ed3630b8f2a5915a8.jpeg
Thanks guys, that was helpful info. And Mr. Turner is very helpful as well. James, if you ever took a picture of the result of when you filed out the chimney hole and placed the Steaming Mary chimney in there, that would be interesting to see.

-bbbb
Agree 100% Walt is very helpful indeed.

Sadly my UPRR with oversized chimney was a short lived beast and I no longer have the bored out boiler. However I hope these images may help:

Last edited:
-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
The pictures make the Steaming Mary chimney look narrower at the bottom than the other one.. Maybe an optical illusion.

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
The pictures make the Steaming Mary chimney look narrower at the bottom than the other one.. Maybe an optical illusion.
Interesting. It must be! I had to bore the chimney hole wider on the standard boiler to take it and later when i made the replica of the infamous 'Amplwang' loco as described in the thread Playmobil ideas - I used plasticard as a sleeve to allow me to mount a standard chimney in the Steaming Mary boiler!

james

W

Walts-Playmobil

Playmobil Trains.
Look on my web site for more details of the chassis.

http://www.walts-playmobil-collection.me.uk/hints_&_tips.htm

The first trains that picked up from the track used the same chassis 7550.

The first R.C trains used the same chassis. However when they started using LED lights the chassis was modified so that a supply could be taken from the top of the chassis on to a PCB with a contact on for the LED to be plugged in to a socket. However 4011 had a PCB for two sockets.

The original 27 MHz chassis will fit the later 27 MHz trains but you cannot have a working LED. The later chassis can have the PCB removed and will the fit the original 27 MHz trains.

There are details how to do this on my web site http://www.walts-playmobil-collection.me.uk/hints_&_tips.htm

Xav204

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
May I precize that loco 4019/4017/4021 and 4035 have RC chassis
Loco 3958 and 4051 have "track powered" chassis

The upper portion of the chassis is the same, so you can combine/mix cabine and boiler

Under, one is planed for RC bloc motor and the other is planed for "track powered" motor"

As the nice pics from Walt are showing, RC motor is needing more space than the other.

W

Walts-Playmobil

Playmobil Trains.
You can put a track powered chassis 7550 into a R.C. body. However the R.C. chassis is the same width where the wheels are, but is slightly wider at the front end and a lot wider at the battery box end.

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
The later RC chassis had a sprung arm (or arms) to make the electrical connection.

If you remove this by simply unscrewing it then the later RC chassis will fit enywhere the earlier ones without the take off fitted will go.

Next - using the screws that held the sprung arm in place a pair of M3 solder tags can be attached to the two metal terminals on top of the later RC chassis. Now you can have lighting too if you wish!

This modification allows the later RC chassis to fit any early or late loco and provide a lighting supply.

James

Last edited:
-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
I have another question in the spirit of this thread. Everyone probably already knows that Playmobil trains are compatible with LGB in some ways(tracks, coupler connections, etc.). However, has anyone tried fitting LGB train motors inside Playmobil motor-blocks? LGB seems to have a variety of different motors available, some of which look similar to the Playmobil motors in photos. But do any fit in Playmobil, and are any of the LGB gears compatible? Could you share which LGB part numbers fit in which Playmobil engine blocks if you know?

-bbbb

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
That is an interesting question and although the PM track powered chassis is 'very LGB like' I think it ends there.

I have a theory that the LGB 'bottom hatch' loco chassis block was a development of the PM block which came out in 1980 at a time when LGB were still doing the clamshell type that required to whole loco to be stripped down to do anything!

Only a theory mind you....

In terms of swapping LGB and PM parts around I think stock wheel sets is as far as it goes!

James

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
From looking at pictures, my hunch (which may be wrong) tells me that one of the LGB motors might 'fit' (space-wise and gear-wise) some of the RC trains with some help. But I'm not sure how the battery power would affect an LGB electric motor, since the batteries seem to produce less voltage than the tracks. Has anyone tried connecting battery power to the contacts of a track powered train?

I was happy to discover a sort of parts compatibility recently through experimentation and thought I might as well mention it here. It turns out that the playmobil 3670 RC car controller works with playmobil 27mhz RC trains. The 27mhz RC car quartz is of course also compatible with the 27mhz trains. The left and right turn controls of the 3670 move the train forward and backward, while the forward and reverse controls do nothing. One problem is that the springy control springs back to the center position when let go; This would require you to hold the control to the left constantly while driving the train with the left/right controller, otherwise letting go of the left/right control would stop the train as the stick springs back to the default center position. However, The fine adjustment F1 control can be used to maintain a speed without holding the controller, and if the fine adjustment at max left does not make the train go forward fast enough for you, you can open up the controller and recalibrate the fine adjustment to your liking pretty easily. The only tricky part of opening the controller is that you need to mind the battery holder springs after removing the batteries in order to open the controller, as one or two of the springs needs to slide through a hole while the controller is opened. Recalibration of the fine adjustment controls is merely a matter of loosening the thing that holds the calibration knob in place, then slightly rotating the calibration knob in the desired direction with a screwdriver, and then re-tightening the the thing that holds the knob in place. Since only one axis of control is used on the 3670 to drive a train, it could be interesting to make the other axis of control on the same 3670 have some other affect on the train or maybe even on some track elements like switches, by re-purposing some RC car innards operating with the same color quartz receiver as the train. I could imagine sticking the RC car parts in a cavity underneath the switch with the rotation of the car wheel being rigged to rotate a track switch knob just above it. Perhaps several of them could be used on several track switches so that you could change all switches at once as well as control the train all on one 3670 controller.

-bbbb

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
That's very interesting. I have an earlier version of one of those controllers so I'll see if that works with the trains too.

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Good stuff guys. Well done bbbb.

Not sure if an LGB motor would fit, as the old style RC motor is single ended and low voltage as you say.

Also whether track powered or RC it needs mentioning that PM motors are mighty durable and long lasting. Spares for the RC block are frequently on E bay although sadly the guy from Mexico who seemed to have a wharehouse full of new track powered blocks and spares has left the field.

If you are looking for comparability within the PM range - the now obsolete Spy Camera set is worth mentioning as although it was never mentioned officially the cab of the modern RC loco was designed to take it! Cab control with Playmobil?

James

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
James, do you mean that the camera fits in the train? Thanks for mentioning it.

I think there are some single ended LGB motors. Here's an example:
https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/model-train-specials/motor-with-long-shaft-62205/
There seem to be some here too: http://www.allaboutlgb.com/lgb replacement motors.html

I'm not sure if it would work on battery power, or go slower or something.
I hear that the plastic gears of some playmobil RC trains can wear out if they pull too much stuff, or if kids push them on the tracks, so I'm mostly interested to know if LGB or someone else makes a compatible replacement gear. I wonder if a 3d printed version would last. Maybe an LGB motor and matching LGB gear could be made to fit.

playmofire, I hope you will share the results of your testing.

-bbbb

Last edited:
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
James, do you mean that the camera fits in the train? Thanks for mentioning it.

I think there are some single ended LGB motors. Here's an example:
https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/model-train-specials/motor-with-long-shaft-62205/
There seem to be some here too: http://www.allaboutlgb.com/lgb replacement motors.html

I'm not sure if it would work on battery power, or go slower or something.
I hear that the plastic gears of some playmobil RC trains can wear out if they pull too much stuff, or if kids push them on the tracks, so I'm mostly interested to know if LGB or someone else makes a compatible replacement gear. I wonder if a 3d printed version would last. Maybe an LGB motor and matching LGB gear could be made to fit.

playmofire, I hope you will share the results of your testing.

-bbbb
I will as soon as I get round to it, so on't hold your breath yet.