30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
James Day

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Xav,

Sorry not to have posted before - Love all those images and the STEF refridgerator van with the conventional opening doors. Great work. I was think of Jouef/Playcraft until I saw the image of your Dad's Hornby Tinplate van!

Wonderful!

James

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Dear All,

I may be less active than I was, but I thought you might like to see what we did last weekend.

The pictures were kindly taken and supplied by John Davidson, who has generously allowed them to be shown on GSC.

108727_cfcd2e0db29a7f5f3c58f06187b04e59.jpg

108729_1f6e0f155bb25d13a1a743f4e4d94bec.jpg

108731_86df91eadaf0152458d888d672a68859.jpg

108733_27c4778bfa0b3a9550b12bc328aa3a7a.jpg

These are a few scenes from the layout John, Malcolm and I did at the Hinckley Model Railway show in Leicestershire. Many of the the scenes were arranged by John. Apologies for some of the trains, the cars, roadway and some buildings not being actual Playmobil, but I hope you like it...

I imagine there will also be a You Tube video from Zontarfan in due course...

James

Last edited:
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Thanks for the photos, James, and what a great layout it is. It must have gone down well, and all goes well together, Playmobil and non-Playmobil.

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Those crossings are interesting. maybe you should convert a couple of playmobil cars to work on those roads.

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Thanks Brian,

We did consider that, but market forces took over.... I carefully kit buit a Mini and Golf, which were mounted on bespoke 3d printed chassis and fitted out with all the necessary electrical and mechanical bits - They cost over £80GBP each! On the other hand those wonderful AutoArt cars with fully detailed interior details are widely available at around £40GBP each on e-bay .....

Slot racers hate them, but they are really wonderful models that do the job well and look superb....

Hmm!

If you could buy a cheap secondhand 1/24 scale slot car, discard the body and mount the PM car on the tray, it would be economic and work well, but life tends not to be like that. Most PM vehicles would need substatial re-engineering to become slot cars, and factors such as ride height for the pick up mounting and vehicle width are key, as are wheel materials (hard plastic tyres will not work!).

As the layout is mixed PM and Non PM we decided that any plans we had to make more PM derrived vehicles ended there!

James

Last edited:
Xav204

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
It is wonderful :clap: :clap:
I cannot stop seeing these beautiful pics
Great Atmosphere :h:
As if we were here...

You made All a great job :clap: :clap:
Many thanks to John to share his pics
Glad to hear from James.
You are right, caboose without sticker is really nice

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Thanks Guys,

Appreciate the support. Here are a few more from John:
108777_64348565bd5a7fcc832fc62a1a6b0aec.jpg
108779_daa8e8f98f28244419be44da3a8ed74b.jpg
108775_b393594df32123068971b1db8fee9b1c.jpg

108783_5c309472fc28fefb1b062ccfbbd55da2.jpg

The last one shows the whole layout, just a simple circuit with an automated lapping loop, where the trains dwell and change over. The public could control the starting signal, delaying the train's departure and could also drive the train within pre-set parameters from the control hut at the front. Reversing was not allowed by the electronics!

The cars stop at Isolated breaks in the track on the approach side of each crossing when the train is coming, and LGB reeds and magnets do all the triggering. The two sidings were purely for stock storage and made swapping trains over so much quicker and easier!

In the saloon bar we had a train activated speaker that played a ragtime piano version of the theme from the Lego Movie (Everything is Awesome). This got complaints from the operators of the 0 Gauge scale end to end layout (Technical Term: Dullus Maximus). The show organiser ignored them! Luckily when the vintage O gauge next door stated operating the sound was somewhat diminished!

No one moaned about the crossing bells this time!

James

Last edited:
idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
All very nice. I particularly like the centre cab diesel in post #125, is that a Playmobil kitbash or some other brand (aristo?).

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
All very nice. I particularly like the centre cab diesel in post #125, is that a Playmobil kitbash or some other brand (aristo?).
Hello Dave,

Thanks, it is Malcolm's. I love the caricature nature of it. I think he said it was USA Trains?

James

Brixham

Brixham

Registered
27 Aug 2010
The SP diesel is mine...by Aristocraft. No longer made, but may occasionally be found on the 2nd hand market There is a similarly sized loco by USA trains, slightly bigger and 'boxier', again, no longer made but can be found in several liveries. Bought 2nd hand several years ago. It has short bogies with small wheels, so runs well on R1 trackwork and matches the speed of Playmo locos well. The hoppers are B'mann with an LGB shorty caboose. Buildings are from Piko kits..which are demountable which save storage space, chimneys (supplied ) but not fitted. They sit on custom wooden bases, A4 sized, covered in lolly sticks from the £1 shop, then stained with woodpaint. The platforms are made from approx 75 x 12 mm stripwood, again covered with lolly sticks, one of the pix you can see a cross section.

I must get round to compiling the video....

If you're desperate to see a video..search youtube with 'gss 3cag', and then in my other videos you'll see one from Alresford 2018. And an earlier version with fewer ( and different borrowed from a friend ) buildings from November 2017, and the proving test layout in James' garden one sunny day in 2016?

Malcolm

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Great stuff, James. Thanks for posting. By the way, I wonder if I could learn to swim on top of the water like that.....:rofl:

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
How exactly did the road and rail crossings interlock? In some cases the track seems to run through the roadway, in others the roadway seems to cut through the track.

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
How exactly did the road and rail crossings interlock? In some cases the track seems to run through the roadway, in others the roadway seems to cut through the track.
Gordon,

The crossings are professionally made by a skilled engineer chum. A standard LGB rail was mated with a standard Carrera 1/24th scale straight to create each one. If you look at the thread Tri-ang Minic for the Myopic it shows the crossings from above and underneath showing the structure; Tri-ang Minic for the Myopic? - G Scale Central

They work well and have been built to make the roadway the same height as the LGB rail!

Off to work now!

James

Last edited:
P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Wasn't there a thread on this forum showing how it could be done?

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Gordon,

The crossings are professionally made by a skilled engineer chum. A standard LGB rail was mated with a standard Carrera 1/24th scale straight to create each one. If you look at the thread Tri-ang Minic for the Myopic it shows the crossings from above and underneath showing the structure; Tri-ang Minic for the Myopic? - G Scale Central

They work well and have been built to make the roadway the ame height as the LGB rail!

Off to work now!

James
Thanks for the link, James. Your chum is an extremely skillful chap.

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Thanks for the link, James. Your chum is an extremely skillful chap.
Gordon,
I agree he has also made the Acetal pins and many other bits for me that were mentioned in Playmobil Ideas? - G Scale Central.

He also made real lenses for my Bachmann Thomas locos, so all my TTE locos all have working lamps, and to support my other interests he worked out how to squeeze a modified Aurora Thunderjet Chassis into my original Playcraft Highways vehicles, so that they can be run and work reliably...

He is a quite brilliant and very useful long standing chum that I have known for 35 years now!

James

Brixham

Brixham

Registered
27 Aug 2010
The video is here...

This is part 1..there'll be a part 2

Bit more on the Aristo diesel....it's based on a 44 ton design...which only needed 1 crew member, going to 45 tons the union insisted on 2 crew

Malcolm