Playmobil Ideas?

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Yes, Acetal is Machineable Nylon and it was done for me on a lathe by a precision engineer.
I think your plan is great and looks so much better than what PM did originally. I think they used a long connecting rod to hide the fact that the loco had no coupling rods! This also saved them the cost of quartering the wheels too!
I found some plastic tacks of some sort in the garage(I don't remember what they are from or for), and I thought the size seemed almost right to make some pins to hold the RC rod to the SM:
(click images to enlarge)
The PM pin pictured there is for RC wheels so it's shaft is wider than that of the SM pin, I was trying to match the tacks head to it for the RC rod, by trimming with cutters, and then sanding it in a drill:

The fit seems ok:

I borrowed the gold pin from my 4017 to connect the other rod:

I'm still working on attaching the sliding end at the front:

When I made a parts order at PM DS, they mistakenly sent me one of these hollow pins instead of what I ordered:

I have no idea what part number it is or what set it's from, but with some modification, I think it might be the perfect solution. If anybody could tell me the part number I would really appreciate it <nudges playmofire>;), because I need to order one more. It seems to fit perfectly in the larger RC rod hole and I could stick a different kind of solid pin into it with the head of the solid pin on the other side of the slide slot.

James this this link you sent me on quartering was very informative: http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Wheel_quartering.html I'm hoping my wheels are quartered enough by default for the RC rods. if they are close enough, do you think they start on the correct side?:

James Day

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
James this this link you sent me on quartering was very informative: http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Wheel_quartering.html I'm hoping my wheels are quartered enough by default for the RC rods. if they are close enough, do you think they start on the correct side?:
View attachment 243752
Brian,

Yes and no..... As the connecting rods are purely cosmetic and not deivering any thrust to the wheels, my own view is that it does not matter how much they are quartered or which side leads.... as long as everything is free moving

BUT

Both wheel and axle sets will need to be the same on both sides, or they will bind and jam up and eventually break.

As you have a loco where the axle sets are already close, then just removing one wheel on one side and resetting it to match the other axle set will suffice.

If you support the wheel you are removing, by a slotted metal plate over a vice you can use a flat punch and a small hammer to push the axle out.

Once out you will find that both the ale and the wheel itself will be splined. You need to move the wheel around until you find the combination of splines on the wheel and the axle to give you the nearest possible match to the other wheel/ale set, then push it on as far as it will go by hand.

Finally you need to use a vice to close the wheel set back up to get the wheels to gauge, ensuring that they are true and square. You may need metal plates on either side of the vice to support the whole of the wheels surface and keep them square as they go on.

If it is any consolation, it is much easier to do this and get it right in G Scale than on a steam loco in HO!

Good luck,
James

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
I found some plastic tacks of some sort in the garage(I don't remember what they are from or for), and I thought the size seemed almost right to make some pins to hold the RC rod to the SM:
View attachment 243745 (click images to enlarge)
The PM pin pictured there is for RC wheels so it's shaft is wider than that of the SM pin, I was trying to match the tacks head to it for the RC rod, by trimming with cutters, and then sanding it in a drill:
View attachment 243746
The fit seems ok:
View attachment 243747
I borrowed the gold pin from my 4017 to connect the other rod:
View attachment 243748
I'm still working on attaching the sliding end at the front:
View attachment 243749
When I made a parts order at PM DS, they mistakenly sent me one of these hollow pins instead of what I ordered:
View attachment 243750 View attachment 243751
I have no idea what part number it is or what set it's from, but with some modification, I think it might be the perfect solution. If anybody could tell me the part number I would really appreciate it <nudges playmofire>;), because I need to order one more. It seems to fit perfectly in the larger RC rod hole and I could stick a different kind of solid pin into it with the head of the solid pin on the other side of the slide slot.

View attachment 243752
I think it may be a rotor pin from a helicopter after searching on playmoDB. Try ordering using the part number you used originally; hopefully, it should return the same result. Meanwhile, I'll think further on what it might be.

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
I think it may be a rotor pin from a helicopter after searching on playmoDB. Try ordering using the part number you used originally; hopefully, it should return the same result. Meanwhile, I'll think further on what it might be.
The mix up may have been related to either 30219950 or 30248473, as both of those were missing and listed as shipped, though they are different colors. However I also ordered 8 of these: 30200740 and received all 8 plus the other pin, and they look very similar, so they may have got the quantity wrong and happened to have this pin in the wrong bin. My first guess was that it's an axle pin for a wagon or something, but I can't find one that matches. I tried looking at rotor pins but couldn't find a match there either. Thanks for the effort.

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
You might also want to check Piko they use something very similar for their connecting rods

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
So as I was in the garage looking for ideas, and found some plastic wall anchor/plugs which function well in place of the gold 4017 pins to connect two RC rods together. I just had to clip it in half to remove the excess length with diagonal cutters and it's a perfect fit:

I was also able to use the same kind of wall anchor (though cut a bit shorter) for the slider, since I could fit a plastic screw snuggly through the center of it from the behind( I know a black plastic screw would have been better than a white one, maybe I will color it with a marker or something later if I can't find a black one.):

I did have to stabilize part of the black wall anchor on the side of the rod facing the red slot with a soft ring cut from the padding of a ballpoint pen, since it needs to be a snug fit to keep the screw side from jamming in the slot after it is pulled almost out every revolution.
But even with the imperfect quartering, Everything is function perfectly. It did several loops on the track with no problems.
However, if I don't have the pins secured just right, the imperfect quartering can become a problem.
The wall anchor seems a better fit than the mystery part I was asking about in an earlier post.

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
So as I was in the garage looking for ideas, and found some plastic wall anchor/plugs which function well in place of the gold 4017 pins to connect two RC rods together. I just had to clip it in half to remove the excess length with diagonal cutters and it's a perfect fit:
View attachment 243768 (click images to enlarge)

I was also able to use the same kind of wall anchor (though cut a bit shorter) for the slider, since I could fit a plastic screw snuggly through the center of it from the behind( I know a black plastic screw would have been better than a white one, maybe I will color it with a marker or something later if I can't find a black one.):
View attachment 243769
I did have to stabilize part of the black wall anchor on the side of the rod facing the red slot with a soft ring cut from the padding of a ballpoint pen, since it needs to be a snug fit to keep the screw side from jamming in the slot after it is pulled almost out every revolution.
But even with the imperfect quartering, Everything is function perfectly. It did several loops on the track with no problems.
However, if I don't have the pins secured just right, the imperfect quartering can become a problem.
The wall anchor seems a better fit than the mystery part I was asking about in an earlier post.
A problem neatly solved.

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
View attachment 243768 (click images to enlarge)

View attachment 243769
If both main wheels on the SM are powered directly from the track, then there is no quartering problem.

Xav204

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
To an undiscerning eye, everything seem to be Playmobil parts...

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
I'm completely unfamiliar with piko. Any idea where I should look?
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.topslotsntrains.com%2Ftopslotsntrains%2Fimages%2Fclearspacer.gif&hash=9f500cfa24e11325aef7fb87d29f82b0

Piko 38100A-56 G Scale - CRANK PINS FOR CAMELBACK LOCO (6 PCS) SILVER
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.topslotsntrains.com%2Ftopslotsntrains%2Fimages%2Fclearspacer.gif&hash=9f500cfa24e11325aef7fb87d29f82b0

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.topslotsntrains.com%2Fuploaded_photos%2FPiko-38100A-56-Camelback-Crank-Pins.jpg&hash=6c0ea2603d5025fc03fe87c02d316750

RRP £6.75 Our Price £5.39

Quantity
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
If you can read this, don't touch the following text fields.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.topslotsntrains.com%2Ftopslotsntrains%2Fimages%2Fbasket_button_view.gif&hash=2f7e95a9e44b3601a8e48d56885ae72c

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.topslotsntrains.com%2Ftopslotsntrains%2Fimages%2Fcontinue_button.gif&hash=765c429d5405f22e30359efb977ecafe

Piko G Scale Crank Pins for Camelback Steam Loco (6pcs). Mogul Spares 38100A-56. Garden Railway Scratch Building Replacement Parts & Accessories by Piko. Piko G scales unique track geometry makes even complex garden railway track plans simple to build with only a few types of track sections and with the rails made from pure virgin solid brass will ensure decades of use. Piko G scale 1:22.5 Trains, rolling stock, track system, buildings and accessories are made from high quality durable materials ensuring realistic, aesthetically pleasing and most important of all long durability. This G Scale is for Outdoor or Indoor use and compatible with all garden scale model railways such as LGB, Bachmann, Pola Buildings and Preiser G scale Figures. The Garden Railway Buildings are Primarily aimed at the model railway enthusiast, however due to the intricate detail and high decoration would make a fine addition to any garden feature with or without a G scale model railway ! Garden model railways by Piko Spielwaren GmbH, Sonneberg. Piko G​

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
I have some extra wheel sets, and since I don't have an extra frame, I'm contemplating sticking something on top of them. I wonder if these options seem too inappropriate:

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Yes, the stage coach is quite prototypical. Here's a supporting link for the USA

Rail Cars - The Transcontinental Railroad

and one for the UK (scroll down to the third picture.

Also, certainly in the UK, rich folk such as local landowners would simply have a flat truck of their own onto which their coach would be loaded at the station for the journey and unloaded at the other end; those travelling in the coach would transfer to a railway carriage (again, possibly their own) for the train journey.

Xav204

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Very interesting...

To enrich the discussion, I would like to add that "US wagons" from Playmobil have vertical timber floor boards
Don't use all your extra wheels, you will find extra frame

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Don't use all your extra wheels, you will find extra frame
With a few broken bits, the stage coach is expendable. I can retire it if I find a frame. But connecting the wheel sets to the stage coach might be tricky.

When you say "US wagons", do you mean this?:
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fplaymodb.org%2Fparts%2F0%2F04%2F30%252004%2520032.gif&hash=4fe6eb79828b322e68c4621b03252c93

Playmofire, I did not see the one for the UK.

Xav204

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Sorry Brian,

I meant these vans...
111173_00c5d6025ad122647b9722f924fbbaca.png

111175_88589d85a199d53e2c9cc8433b77e7be.png

the stage coach is interesting
111177_fc26d851edc23c49339fdd373757dbdb.png

source : acmacm de Tribune Auto "pour qui aime les FoMoCo..."

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Xav, I see what you mean; since the sheriffs office has horizontal timber.

From those pictures, it seems like the newer stage coaches(3803, 7946, 4399, 6429) would be more appropriate than the old one.

They seem very wiggly in film: